"Liars" Cache listings

I found one around here when I was still new to the area. If I knew the local cachers who had logged it, I might have suspected it was a liar's cache, but I didn't yet. So I was disappointed that what sounded like a challenging cache was in fact just an ammo can at a dead end. Had I known, I probably would have skipped it, but I found it, so I logged it and didn't give it away.

I can definitely say that I'll not be logging another if I can avoid it, I just don't see the point. Guess I'm just a party pooper.

I found one around here when I was still new to the area. If I knew the local cachers who had logged it, I might have suspected it was a liar's cache, but I didn't yet. So I was disappointed that what sounded like a challenging cache was in fact just an ammo can at a dead end. Had I known, I probably would have skipped it, but I found it, so I logged it and didn't give it away.

I can definitely say that I'll not be logging another if I can avoid it, I just don't see the point. Guess I'm just a party pooper.

I probably would have given it away. "Boy. This was pretty dumb. Why are all these people lying?"

Here's mine:

TRR's Liars' Cache

Remember to read the logs from the bottom up! Some of my finders build on previous logs.

As you can see, my description CLEARLY states what's what.

...Bill

Very nice! And let me tell you, I consider your reviewer (who was mine many years ago, but no longer is) to be one of the absolute strictest ones around. So let there be no doubt Liar's caches are still allowed, and let yours be a perfect example of how they should be written in the post-ALR period. The ALR period itself being before your time, if I'm not mistaken. :)

Thanks. Mr.Yuck. Your comment's as gratifying as a good, detailed BS log on that cache.

And yes, the reviewer is a stickler. I have three caches, and he's given me a hard time on all of them. Ultimately, once I 'got it', I see that he was absolutely correct on every single nit-picky point. I don't mind working under someone who's RIGHT.

Like your icon, BTW. Just taught semaphore to my kid's scout troop. Yes, in 2012.

I suspect the CO would have deleted your log like he did mine when I said the notes and pictures written and posted by others would have spoiled it for me if I had seen them before attempting the cache.

On topic, I've found a few. Had fun with the logs on the majority. I doubt I would ever hide one though but that's just me.

Looks like a cheap way to get some tough combo's to me. Since ALR's are not allowed, there is no reason for the false D/T on a liars cache.

M5 - If it's clear that it's not real, then it's part of the joke! Note that mine (see a few messages up) is rated 1/5 - a fundamentally silly rating.

...Bill

When ALR's were allowed and you could delete logs that didn't keep up appearences, the false D/T would be essential to keeping the joke a secret. Now, it is just an easy way to get difficult combos. That can be done on any cache of course, but most liars caches I've seen are either 5/5 or a hard combo to find. I think that the D/T should be accurate and once again, no reason for the false ones, even on a liars cache, now that they are supposed to be "open" anyway.

My archived Liars Cache

Here's mine,

Reading the description, your heading into a dump, truth be told, it was the nicest will groomed trail through the forest in our area.

THe last few finders thought the area had been cleaned up, so why spoil the fun for them

I had to archive the cache, as it went missing 2 times....

PS If you read the name of the cache real slow, ans slur your words, it actually tells you it's a liars cache LOL

Edited by coman123

Here's mine:

TRR's Liars' Cache

Remember to read the logs from the bottom up! Some of my finders build on previous logs.

As you can see, my description CLEARLY states what's what.

...Bill

Very nice! And let me tell you, I consider your reviewer (who was mine many years ago, but no longer is) to be one of the absolute strictest ones around. So let there be no doubt Liar's caches are still allowed, and let yours be a perfect example of how they should be written in the post-ALR period. The ALR period itself being before your time, if I'm not mistaken. :)

Thanks. Mr.Yuck. Your comment's as gratifying as a good, detailed BS log on that cache.

And yes, the reviewer is a stickler. I have three caches, and he's given me a hard time on all of them. Ultimately, once I 'got it', I see that he was absolutely correct on every single nit-picky point. I don't mind working under someone who's RIGHT.

Like your icon, BTW. Just taught semaphore to my kid's scout troop. Yes, in 2012.

Well, they're not always right, you know. :ph34r: Semaphore flags make for a great puzzle cache! I have solved the one in my area, and have the corrected coordinates in my GPS for like a year now. I wish I had thought of the idea, but once there's one in an area, it would be pretty silly for someone else to do another one. If I remember correctly, it took a long time to solve, as I had to do the whole N-O-R-T-H F-O-R-T-Y T-H-R-E-E etc.... thing all the way through.

Note that mine (see a few messages up) is rated 1/5 - a fundamentally silly rating.
D1 T5 is a cache that is obvious once you reach GZ ("in plain sight"), but which requires specialized equipment to reach GZ. Why is that combination any more "fundamentally silly" than any other?
Note that mine (see a few messages up) is rated 1/5 - a fundamentally silly rating.
D1 T5 is a cache that is obvious once you reach GZ ("in plain sight"), but which requires specialized equipment to reach GZ. Why is that combination any more "fundamentally silly" than any other?

NiraD -

Well, I guess that's true - "1/5" is certainly realistic. In fact, I DNF'd a 1/4 (I think) a few weeks ago because I couldn't reach it - lookin' right at it, two feet over my head, obvious as anything, but I just couldn't reach it.

My thought when I wrote the description was that the combination would be just another feature of the cache page that would make people do a double-take. It's actually quite a nice spot next to a popular fishing hole on a busy road. Simplest find ever.

People seem to be into it, tho, based on the logs.

What does everybody think - do enough people filter by D or T to make a people just skip this one? That would be a shame.

Just trying to make it fun, here!

It shouldn't be considered fundamentally silly. I have a 1/5 listed, which is an obvious ammo can paddle to. Another example would be to have rappel access to an obvious find. I suspect many caches have the difficulty overrated due to specialty equipment needed.

That cache is an

UNAUTHORIZED ILLEGAL ALR

Just thought I'd mention that. :P

That cache is so friggin' old, the reviewer who published it isn't even a reveiwer any more. :)

However, all ALR's were supposed to be removed on such and such a date in 2009 or whatever. This one didn't get "caught". A few miles from my house, is a cache with an ALR placed by a guy who hasn't logged into the website in years, who didn't get caught. No one has reported" it, and 99% of the finders still comply. The question mark icon apparently scares off all the TFTC, Yay, or : ) loggers. :lol:

It shouldn't be considered fundamentally silly. I have a 1/5 listed, which is an obvious ammo can paddle to. Another example would be to have rappel access to an obvious find. I suspect many caches have the difficulty overrated due to specialty equipment needed.

4WF - Please see my reply above from 11/23/12 - I acknowledge that a 1/5 is not by definition rediculous. In the case of MY CACHE, however, it is. It's just sittin' there in plain sight as you walk up to it. The 'D5' is part of the overall 'joke' of this cache.

I probably would have given it away. "Boy. This was pretty dumb. Why are all these people lying?"

Well, that's a technique. Not my preferred technique to introduce myself to the local caching community, but I guess it's one way to get the job done. :anibad:

Well, that's a technique. Not my preferred technique to introduce myself to the local caching community, but I guess it's one way to get the job done. :anibad:

I will always OUT a liar's cache. I will be happy to take the heat from anyone lame enough to hide one in our area. And there have been a couple.

I will always OUT a liar's cache. I will be happy to take the heat from anyone lame enough to hide one in our area. And there have been a couple.

OK, got it. Bart, you've been caching in the same area for seven years now, right? And Harry, you've been swimming around the tri-state area for eight or so. So folks know you. I move around every couple years and have to start from scratch. I try not to start out by ticking too many people off, so it's not awkward when I meet them for the first time at our first event in town.

I suspect the CO would have deleted your log like he did mine when I said the notes and pictures written and posted by others would have spoiled it for me if I had seen them before attempting the cache.

Hey...how did you know which one I was talking about? :laughing:

Lol. I haven't seen a so called liar's cache yet that didn't out itself either in the description or after reading just a few logs.

My guess is your announcement that whatever cache you were outing would be received as from a child informing a room full of adults that Santa Claus doesn't in fact exist. :anibad::laughing:

I prefer the term Tall Tail Caches. It's more accurate to the fun that CO most likely intended.

Party poopers for these types of caches provide much needed entertainment though. Gawd love 'em. :anibad: