"Liars" Cache listings

I have been getting things together and have found a location to place a "Liars" cache, but before I place this cache I would like to see some cache pages of other liars caches. So everyone please post the names of some Liars caches so I can check them out. Thank You all in advance and "Happy Caching"

DrgnTrappr

Please remember not to rely on any previously published "Liar's Cache" as precedent to support the publication of a new cache. There are likely several still around that have impermissible "Additional Logging Requirements." Be sure to follow the listing guidelines on that subject. A Liar's Cache that is optional can still provide an opportunity for a fun time by those who choose to participate.

Please remember not to rely on any previously published "Liar's Cache" as precedent to support the publication of a new cache. There are likely several still around that have impermissible "Additional Logging Requirements." Be sure to follow the listing guidelines on that subject. A Liar's Cache that is optional can still provide an opportunity for a fun time by those who choose to participate.

Of course it would only be an option, not a requirement to log the cache. I would only hope that most would play along.

Here is one around here. Calm me a spoil sport, but I think liars caches are lame.

I agree. Some apparently find them to be funny but I don't see inconveniencing and pissing off fellow geocachers as a good way to get your jollies. I recall one instance where a group got together and drove a long way to hunt a liars cache and weren't pleased to find out it was a sham. Some bad blood arose from that. I know I'd be pretty ticked off if I went out of my way for what appears to be an interesting cache only to discover that it's a fraud.

With the explosion in lame caches it's becoming hard enough to separate the wheat from the chaff without people lying about the quality of their cache.

Edited by briansnat

Here is one around here. Calm me a spoil sport, but I think liars caches are lame.

I agree. Some apparently find them to be funny but I don't see inconveniencing and pissing off fellow geocachers as a good way to get your jollies. I recall one instance where a group got together and drove a long way to hunt a liars cache and weren't pleased to find out it was a sham. Some bad blood arose from that. I know I'd be pretty ticked off if I went out of my way for what appears to be an interesting cache only to discover that it's a fraud.

With the explosion in lame caches it's becoming hard enough to separate the wheat from the chaff without people lying about the quality of their cache.

Why would you think that if I placed a liars cache that it would not be a quality cache? With all the "Light post" and "Micros" out there that seem as if they were just tossed out the window of a passing car, atleast a liars cache has had some thought put into it and for those who wish to participate it can be fun. The CO also gets to see a little more effort in the log posts than the normal TFTF.

Just one cachers oppinion.

Why would you think that if I placed a liars cache that it would not be a quality cache? With all the "Light post" and "Micros" out there that seem as if they were just tossed out the window of a passing car, atleast a liars cache has had some thought put into it and for those who wish to participate it can be fun. The CO also gets to see a little more effort in the log posts than the normal TFTF.

Typically, even if it were a quality hide, the whole concept of a liar's cache has been to have the cache page writeup make the cache sound like an awesome adventure of some sort, and to have the logs support that story. The example that Snoogans Briansnat gave took place in my area, where a group of cachers made hotel reservations, piled into a couple of vans, and drove a couple hundred miles on the belief that they were going to have an awesome, risky adventure at a cache that turned out to be a film canister (or something like that) tossed in a bush. Even if it had been an ammo can well hidden in a beautifully wooded park, it would have have been the adventure that they thought they were signing up for when they rented those rooms, bought those meals, took those vacation days, and filled those tanks.

Edited by knowschad

Yo, knower of Chad! I don't see any posts by Snoogans!! :lol:

I'm aware of two rather ugly liars cache incidents. I don't think I should post links to them though, unless people really want to see them. The one Knowschad (and I assume Briansnat) are talking about was in Wisconsin. A bunch of people from Minnesota actually rented hotel rooms and held an event the nite before the hunt. Most of them went bonkers, and there was a thread here.

The 2nd incident was in Ontario, 30 or so miles from Toronto. Two brothers from Northern Michigan took 2 days off work, and drove 420 miles. They were not impressed to say the least. :)

In both cases the caches were quickly archived after the controversy.

We have to admit to being frustrated by a liar's cache in our area - perhaps because we felt like idiots afterwards and didn't like it. At least there was no big investment for us because it was right in the neighbourhood and we hit a few other caches while we were at it.

So: Bummed out and a little ashamed leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Of course, finding a cache that's been used as a toilet (which happened to us the other day) leaves a bad smell on the hands. This is the nature of geocaching, the bad with the good.

If those people had travelled all that way for a "true cache", and the cache had been muggled or just too hard to find, would it have still been a waste? We hope they would have seen the value in their time spent together, that there would be pictures taken and stories shared and friendships nutured. Sometimes geocaching is teamwork, sometimes it's group therapy. Either way, it's a positive thing.

I have been looking at the links to other "Liars" caches and have gotten some good ideas on how to word the cache page so as not to be to missleading but still be fun. My problen with the people that took vacation time and rented motel rooms to go find some adventurous cache should have looked at the map. Most of the liars caches are in urban areas not out in the wilderness. Not making any assumptions here but remember some people will complain just to here themselves talk we have all known at least one person that will gripe because there ice cream was to cold.

Some times I feel that we all forget why we are doing this, but for me its all about the fun. I want to Thank You all for posting.

I have been looking at the links to other "Liars" caches and have gotten some good ideas on how to word the cache page so as not to be to missleading but still be fun. My problen with the people that took vacation time and rented motel rooms to go find some adventurous cache should have looked at the map. Most of the liars caches are in urban areas not out in the wilderness. Not making any assumptions here but remember some people will complain just to here themselves talk we have all known at least one person that will gripe because there ice cream was to cold.

Some times I feel that we all forget why we are doing this, but for me its all about the fun. I want to Thank You all for posting.

Tall tale caches ARE fun. I know some behind the scenes info in one of the cases talked about above and the finder's who made a big stink were not all the forthcoming about what really happened. Sure they were not happy about their holy grail cache being a dixie cup, but what they neglected to mention is all the other caches the did on the trip. They CHOSE to create drama when they got home and blamed the cache owner of one cache for all their incurred expense.

I know of another case that is even funnier about a certain banned cacher from Mass. It's great, but you'll have to wait for the novel dramatization to be published to find out what happened.

Put some wording on your cache page as a disclaimer that goes something like this: If there is any confusion or you have questions after reading these instructions, e-mail me with your phone number and I will call you back A.S.A.P. Likewise if you are coming form a great distance, or need advice on preparations/accomodations.

Not just for so called liar's caches but ALL caches: Anyone who is attempting a significantly high D/T cache SHOULD read the cache page carefully and study the maps. Maybe even contact the owner or a previous finder if they are unsure. If they don't, then whom do they have to blame?

I'm aware of two rather ugly liars cache incidents. I don't think I should post links to them though, unless people really want to see them. The one Knowschad (and I assume Briansnat) are talking about was in Wisconsin. A bunch of people from Minnesota actually rented hotel rooms and held an event the nite before the hunt. Most of them went bonkers, and there was a thread here.

The 2nd incident was in Ontario, 30 or so miles from Toronto. Two brothers from Northern Michigan took 2 days off work, and drove 420 miles. They were not impressed to say the least. :)

IIRC in both of those cases the CO was in contact with the traveling salesman cachers and perpetuated the lie in person. I think there reaches a point where the sanctity of the lie isn't worth the inconvenience and expense caused to those traveling. And that's what was the real problem there.

Assuming of course that liar's caches do exist. :ph34r:

Edited by wimseyguy

I don't know how to provide a link, but we had a ton of fun with our Liar's Cache: GC14BEC (Wouldyoubelieve?)

Reading the creative logs was the best part.

In your post, click the 'Insert Link' icon to the right of the smiley face 'Emoticons' icon. Copy the URL from your browser and paste it into the field. You can also title that link in the second field.

http://www.geocaching.com/ will become Geocaching

Hope that helps.

Tall tale caches ARE fun. I know some behind the scenes info in one of the cases talked about above and the finder's who made a big stink were not all the forthcoming about what really happened. Sure they were not happy about their holy grail cache being a dixie cup, but what they neglected to mention is all the other caches the did on the trip. They CHOSE to create drama when they got home and blamed the cache owner of one cache for all their incurred expense.

I was fairly new to caching at the time, and I remember seeing the plans for that Wisconsin trip come together on our local geocaching forum. From reading this forum, as well as finding a couple of vacation caches in my area that had been hidden by the hider of "that" liar's cache, I was pretty sure what they were in for. And really, yeah, so should they. They were all adults, and some pretty smart ones, for the most part. But as for "all the other caches the did on the trip"... this is King Boreas country. They didn't need to travel that far to get more caches. They went there specifically because they all agreed that the cache in question sounded like a big adventure. I don't think anyone in that group was even aware of the concept of a liar's cache before that.

Typically, even if it were a quality hide, the whole concept of a liar's cache has been to have the cache page writeup make the cache sound like an awesome adventure of some sort, and to have the logs support that story. The example that Snoogans Briansnat gave took place in my area, where a group of cachers made hotel reservations, piled into a couple of vans, and drove a couple hundred miles on the belief that they were going to have an awesome, risky adventure at a cache that turned out to be a film canister (or something like that) tossed in a bush. Even if it had been an ammo can well hidden in a beautifully wooded park, it would have have been the adventure that they thought they were signing up for when they rented those rooms, bought those meals, took those vacation days, and filled those tanks.

As I remember it was a film can under a dock or in a bush next to a dock or sumthin'.

I like the way you worded that. It seems you know a bit about what happened too. That was exactly the group I was eluding to. Willful drama and revenge on a third party for one's own shortcomings.

They were warned before they left home. They planned a fun caching trip grabbing caches all the way... Were entertained by the local cachers... Continued on their fun caching trip... and returned all torn up with grief over all the money they spent to do ONE cache. :rolleyes: Do any of 'em still cache? :unsure:

Edited by Snoogans

I was fairly new to caching at the time, and I remember seeing the plans for that Wisconsin trip come together on our local geocaching forum. From reading this forum, as well as finding a couple of vacation caches in my area that had been hidden by the hider of "that" liar's cache, I was pretty sure what they were in for. And really, yeah, so should they. They were all adults, and some pretty smart ones, for the most part. But as for "all the other caches the did on the trip"... this is King Boreas country. They didn't need to travel that far to get more caches. They went there specifically because they all agreed that the cache in question sounded like a big adventure. I don't think anyone in that group was even aware of the concept of a liar's cache before that.

As I recall someone from the local group warned them but stopped short of outing the surprise. :unsure:

In their defense, I wasn't a big fan of the hider prior to that event, but she had my support on this occasion because she got a raw deal from that group.

The logs are a dead giveaway on these types of caches even if the CO is tight lipped about outing their own cache. How could they not know? And if they ALL really didn't how can anyone consider them smart adults? :unsure: I don't buy their story. A cartload of dead fish smells better.

As I recall someone from the local group warned them but stopped short of outing the surprise. :unsure:

In their defense, I wasn't a big fan of the hider prior to that event, but she had my support on this occasion because she got a raw deal from that group.

The logs are a dead giveaway on these types of caches even if the CO is tight lipped about outing their own cache. How could they not know? And if they ALL really didn't how can anyone consider them smart adults? :unsure: I don't buy their story. A cartload of dead fish smells better.

I know some of those people. I have probably met all of them at one time or another. They are intelligent people. I don't believe you would be speaking of friends of yours in those terms.

Liars caches were not well known in those days. Yeah, those of us that hung around here had some idea of them, but very few cachers that I know of do come to the forums. As I recall, they contacted the cache owner ahead of time and informed her of their plans and were assurred that the cache was in place (as well it was... she wasn't being dishonest about that). They felt, and I think had some justified expectations, that the cache owner would have spoken up at that time and said "Guys... you don't really need to bring the climbing gear".

But anyway... as I recall, this even has been hashed over here at least two or three times already and I guess its water under the bridge.

IIRC in both of those cases the CO was in contact with the traveling salesman cachers and perpetuated the lie in person. I think there reaches a point where the sanctity of the lie isn't worth the inconvenience and expense caused to those traveling. And that's what was the real problem there.

Assuming of course that liar's caches do exist. :ph34r:

Even though I still don't feel like posting a link to it, I know what the Ontario cache was, and have looked at it today. The cache owner definitely was contacted a couple days out, and responded that the cache was OK, and good for an attempt, and mentioned nothing about it being a liar's cache. One of the finders posted the email from the CO in his find log.

Now Wisconsin, I don't remember what that cache was! But there was a lengthy forum thread here, and I'm positive the CO actually attended the Minnesotan's night before event, and didn't say anything about it being a liars cache.

EDIT: I was Posting at the same time as knowschad. OK, I'll stop rehashing it. :D

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Not making any assumptions here but remember some people will complain just to here themselves talk we have all known at least one person that will gripe because there ice cream was to cold.

Just don't be surprised if you tell your guests that you're serving ice cream and some get annoyed when you feed them enchiladas instead.

Edited by briansnat

Not making any assumptions here but remember some people will complain just to here themselves talk we have all known at least one person that will gripe because there ice cream was to cold.

Just don't be surprised if you tell your guests that you're serving ice cream and some get annoyed when you feed them enchiladas instead.

Or each little scoop of ice cream actually has a brussels sprout in the center.:lol:

I know some of those people. I have probably met all of them at one time or another. They are intelligent people. I don't believe you would be speaking of friends of yours in those terms.

Yes. Everyone is biased toward their own set. I am too. But the locals also know that I will call a spade a spade without remorse or deference to whom I'm calling it on.

I listened to a local cachin' couple talk about being duped by a tall tale cache. They read the logs and had a spider sense and ignored it. They neglected to call on the CO since they just lived across town even though the cache page suggested that they do so. They DID take 3 vacation days on the following week from the weekend that they made the find and didn't cancel them electing to take a nice out of town cachin' trip anyway. I laughed and laughed. So did they.

They found the spirit to laugh at themselves and not blame the CO for their lack of preparation. They posted a great find and as with many who got GOT, they had a vested interest in the fun. For lack of a thesaurus, they GOT it.

Another cacher from New Hampshire did the same cache on a business trip taking 350+ mile detour to do the cache. He didn't check his email for a response before he set out. He contacted the CO about 80 miles out to the CO's great horror. The cacher was THRILLED that it was a tall tale cache rather than being angry. He suspected as much, but just wanted to be part of the fun.

Both cases involved smart adults who set out without being fully prepared and they had far different outcomes than the one we are eluding to. Maybe the CO could have done more in that other case, as you say it's water under the bridge, but certainly 2 van loads of cachers can't set out completely unaware. (I would be skeptical of just 3 people getting duped at once.) I don't buy it. No sir. Your group or mine that's a load of horse hockey.

Edited by Snoogans

I have given a great deal of thought to hides I may create. The idea of a Liar's cache is one I considered. Another is "logging lessons". Provide a suggestion for a topic to discuss in the log. Entrants begin their logs with the word "entry" the CO judges the best of the first (10? 20?) entry logs and provides a special prize to the best log. Entry makes it optional and eliminates running afoul of the ALR prohibition.

Example: Describe GZ in the most colorful and misleading but technically correct terms possible.

Example: Write a log with 3 spoilers, one of which is true.

Example: Write a log using mideval english terms.

Everybody complains about uninspired(TNLNSL TFTH)logs, lets do something about it!!!

I have recently created a liar's cache, and I researched this thread thoroughly before placing it.

My liar's cache is Erich Scala (GC37DXK), located in Fernley, Nevada, USA. I decided to make details in the cache page obvious as to the real nature of the cache, but did not come out and directly say, "This is a liar's cache." I really didn't want anyone to go out and secure scuba gear or climbing equipment just to get this cache, though the cache attributes do state that both may be required. I think any reasonably intelligent person should immediately catch on to the real purpose and intent of the cache. But in case they don't, I have also asked anyone who has any questions to contact me BEFORE attempting to find it. Also, I placed cards in the cache container which ask, not require, cachers to play along with the theme and post fantastic adventures relating their finds of this cache. But I won't delete any logs which do not do play along.

I look forward to seeing what kinds of interesting essays are created in the logs. I think these types of caches are great for the opportunities they provide to delve into creative writing, and help to develop those writing skills which have too often been replaced by LOL, LMAO, and TFTC.

I really appreciate these threads, which help me to understand, as a fairly new cacher, the requirements, expectations, and responsibilities of a cache owner in this new and interesting hobby. I look forward to any and all who decide to stop by Erich Scala in their travels through northern Nevada!

DarkStar56

Wadsworth, Nevada, USA

Here is one around here. Call me a spoil sport, but I think liars caches are lame.

believe me, you won't spoil anyones sport by just thinking liars caches are lame. I think unknown (mystery) caches are lame, but it doesn't spoil them for any one who likes them. :P :P

Now if you wanted Ground speak to get rid of them because you don't like them, you might be a spoil sport.

I have only found a couple of liars caches, but I really enjoyed them. The thing is though, I had noticed them in the first year or so I had cached. But I felt they were too much for me.

When I got a little more experience, and started reading some privious logs, it became quite clear what they were.

I don't know about other liar caches, they may be harder to figure out. However,I don't know how anyone who has been caching for a while, could not figure out these were what they were.

I recently found a liars cache that I had been working on the puzzle for many years and although I had an idea it was a liars cache I still was surprised by the cache when I found it.

That being said I took the cache owners advice and called before seeking and as a result I got to spend time with a great friend and his family.

Liars caches were not well known in those days. Yeah, those of us that hung around here had some idea of them, but very few cachers that I know of do come to the forums. As I recall, they contacted the cache owner ahead of time and informed her of their plans and were assurred that the cache was in place (as well it was... she wasn't being dishonest about that). They felt, and I think had some justified expectations, that the cache owner would have spoken up at that time and said "Guys... you don't really need to bring the climbing gear".

But anyway... as I recall, this even has been hashed over here at least two or three times already and I guess its water under the bridge.

I recall that cache...that thread...that event...and the fallout...even a local news paper story about the cache...

It really was obvious it was a Liar's Cache...Took one look at the various logs and thought something was up...then, clicked on the profile of some of the finders and saw all the caches they found the same day they did this "multi-day" cache...really didn't take me long at all to know what was up. Especially given the various stories told about the cache...

...ah...memories...

For the millionth time, there is no such thing as a liar's cache. :ph34r:

Now that is a lie.*

*Just remember, EVERYTHING I tell you is a lie.

I think you are probably lying about that. :P

But of course I am. I told you I would...

... or did I? :P

Here's mine:

TRR's Liars' Cache

Remember to read the logs from the bottom up! Some of my finders build on previous logs.

As you can see, my description CLEARLY states what's what.

...Bill

Very nice! And let me tell you, I consider your reviewer (who was mine many years ago, but no longer is) to be one of the absolute strictest ones around. So let there be no doubt Liar's caches are still allowed, and let yours be a perfect example of how they should be written in the post-ALR period. The ALR period itself being before your time, if I'm not mistaken. :)