REQ: opt-out option for geocaching.com

box2321

Maybe because I read it in May?

If it has changed since then, they are minor changes. It reads the same as far as I can remember.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

another blah blah blah continuum of the same old dreary topic, off topic as usual...

What part of this thread is off-topic? It's about the Terms of Use for geocaching.com, and this is the geocaching.com forum. You can't get any more on-topic!

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

The topic was about an _opt-out option for geocaching.com_ but was hijacked by J5 for other purposes...

The TOS(TOU) certainly has some bearing on the existance of an 'OPT-OUT OPTION'. The information is licensed to Groundspeak and if they don't want that option they don't have to include it.

I've already stated that I'd be ticked if somebody erased my logs (deleted, whatever) but then again I can see where in EXTREME situations people would want to erase the information.

I make no judgements on wether it's right or wrong - and I don't think that you can make a decision about what's right or wrong for another person in this situation.

Unfortunately - the 2 sides are intertwined.

It is a very complicated situation.

I do believe that TOS is relevant.

I also wonder if the original poster is keeping track of this thread.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

Has anything GC.com done impaired your ability to go Geocaching?? to impair your ability to log your finds or control your caches?

I don't see what the big friggin deal is. I am not interested in setting, changing or dealing with policies over who owns what or who controls what... I am here to geocache or discuss the hobby with other like-minded people.

If you take the time to read the TOS, TOU, IOU, FBI, BMA or anything in legalese, then you would not have a bank account, not have any credit cards nor a cell phone.

Am I getting my point across or am I just a raving lunatic.... I can't tell at this point!

Doc-Dean, you expressed your point very well and I am in full agreement. Geocaching.com is an excellent site, and that is in large part due to the way data is recorded and maintained. Data that is available for all players to use. If some of the "alternate" rules (including the right to remove all of your submissions) that are being suggested here were put into effect this site could eventually become useless - to the detriment of all those who just want to use it to Geocache. If you don't want your data to be recorded on this site - then simply don't record it on this site.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. geol4.JPG

I could not agree more with you Seneca.

Get that man some Kool-aid! icon_smile.gif

I just re-read the entire thread and I still feel its much ado about nothing. Both sides have valid points and in the end I think I would just agree to disagree.

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

dadgum, they don't sell Kool-Aid here in Finland, and the supply I brought from the US during my latest visit has already depleted.icon_frown.gif

It seems that NO OverbearingTO$ really knows what he's saying about Kool-Aid drinkers; I agree with Doc-Dean and Seneca and love Kool-Aid.icon_razz.gif

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

I can see that people involved in geocaching who do not want to leave would be disappointed if those of us who do want to leave erased our caches that they found. They (hopefully) had a good time finding their caches and would want to keep their positive experience noted.

I suggest that geocaching.com offer the means for making a cache hidden by 'anonymous' or 'user unknown' or some similar non-specific identifier. That way finders can keep their cache records while hiders could withdraw their name from a cache. My caches would remain up, so people could keep their find numbers where they are, but I could leave the game.

Something like this must surely be in place already, since users have been removed from the system before. What I'm asking for is a means to opt out that doesn't involve breaking the rules. Thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by box2321:

I suggest that geocaching.com offer the means for making a cache hidden by 'anonymous' or 'user unknown' or some similar non-specific identifier. That way finders can keep their cache records while hiders could withdraw their name from a cache. My caches would remain up, so people could keep their find numbers where they are, but I could leave the game.

What's stopping you from doing this yourself? Go to your caches and change the owner name to "Anonymous". Go to your profile, and change your personal info (real name, email address, etc.) to something bogus. Delete the geocaching.com bookmark from your browser. TA-DA! You don't exist anymore. Don't let the door hit you in the butt.

My guess it that you haven't done this because you'd rather moan and whine about this, rather than take these few simple steps that would only take about 5 minutes.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

I really don't see the issue. These things are posted under anonymous screen names. Maybe if things were listed under real names, I'd have some sympathy, but who the F is "Box2321" and does anybody even care?

And Prime Suspect said it perfectly. Mr. 2321 can easlily edit his profile and remove all references to his name. Some people are just born crybabies. The "incident" that seems to have sparked his "divorce" from this website is proof positive of that!

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

What's stopping you from doing this yourself?

Groundspeak.

quote:

Go to your caches and change the owner name to "Anonymous". Go to your profile, and change your personal info (real name, email address, etc.) to something bogus. Delete the geocaching.com bookmark from your browser. TA-DA! You don't exist anymore. Don't let the door hit you in the butt.

Did you test what you proposed?

[This message was edited by Prime Suspect. on September 17, 2003 at 09:37 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Frolickin:

[This message was edited by Prime Suspect. on September 17, 2003 at 09:37 AM.]

No, but you obviously did, when you changed your name to mine, but with a period at the end, and then edited this message. (Pretending to be someone else is a good way to get booted from the system, BTW.)

Changing certain profile info can cause the account to become deactivated. The activation code will be sent to the email address specified for the profile. So if you give it a bogus email address that you don't have access to, you're going to be kinda screwed, assuming you want to use that profile again. But that's not the case here. He wanted out. Completely.

3608_2800.gif

quote:

quote:

No

The reason I asked was because what you proposed did not work.

I changed my user id. No, I was not trying to pretend to be anyone else.

When I changed the user ID, every post I ever made in the fora changed. That's good.

No logs changed, however. That is a huge problem for those who would want to leave.

I spoke with someone about this and was told that the next time a post was made to those cache pages, the new updated information would be provided. That, however, does not make it an easy process for someone who has lots of logs to cache pages. He would either need to manually update himself or rely upon the system to work its way through after some time. For archived or highly inactive pages, that would be not happen.

So, as I said earlier in this thread, I am not debating the merits of leaving. The reality is that folks leave. Rather than have them leave in a huff and create problems for those of us who remain, there should be a simple opt-out that can be applied. What you proposed could work should the cacher want/or know to take the time to edit the cache logs he has made. I take it he would not do that.

Fro.

quote:

No logs changed, however. That is a huge problem for those who would want to leave.

I spoke with someone about this and was told that the next time a post was made to those cache pages, the new updated information would be provided. That, however, does not make it an easy process for someone who has lots of logs to cache pages. He would either need to manually update himself or rely upon the system to work its way through after some time. For archived or highly inactive pages, that would be not happen.

Keystone Approver gives a good summary of how this works HERE

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

Keystone Approver gives a good summary of how this works http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=90260868&r=75360868#75360868

I understand that. If someone with 1000 logs to cache pages chooses to leave, there is not a neat and tidy way of getting out. Regenerating those pages is a time-consuming process.

There is also the issue that if a person leaving has added a link to his web site to logs, that would remain.

Fro.

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

Keystone Approver gives a good summary of how this works HERE.

I could be wrong here, but I don't think that post is entirely accurate. In my experience, adding or removing a cache from a watch list does not cause the page to be regenerated. The watch list total doesn't get changed until the page is regenerated by some other cause.

3608_2800.gif

[This message was edited by Prime Suspect on September 18, 2003 at 09:10 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

Not necessarily. The description of the cache could be deleted but the logs could remain intact

He can do this already. I believe you can update any cache page you own. Even if it's archived.

What he is suggesting is outright deletion of the cache which would, I think, require the deletion of hte logs associated with the cache to maintain DB integrity. Which does impact the contributions others have made.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif