Nuvi 500 help

I have a Nuvi 500 and have been using it for a year and it works great. Have you tried it anywhere outside of your yard? Maybe its just a dead spot. Other than that like others have mentioned you can switch from driving to walking mode on the main menu so make sure that it checked. As long as you are good to go there maybe something is wrong with the unit. I would update to the newest firmware from Garmins site and if that does not fix it contact Garmin for a swap. My 500 at least gets me down to 15 feet or so, 30 sounds too far off.

I have a Nuvi 500 and have been using it for a year and it works great. Have you tried it anywhere outside of your yard? Maybe its just a dead spot. Other than that like others have mentioned you can switch from driving to walking mode on the main menu so make sure that it checked. As long as you are good to go there maybe something is wrong with the unit. I would update to the newest firmware from Garmins site and if that does not fix it contact Garmin for a swap. My 500 at least gets me down to 15 feet or so, 30 sounds too far off.

yes, I have tried the 500 for a few different caches....I don't know anything about firmware and will check that out. 15 feet is still not good....but Nuvi 265 would take me dead on to GZ. Why have they gotten less effective?

Remember to try this on more than one cache. It depends who did the hide and what GPSr they used. I have had many hides turn up within feet of my GZ on the 500 and others are 30 feet away. Hopefully you can compare with a cache hide that has been verified to be spot on accurate to the given coords.

yes, I have tried the 500 for a few different caches....I don't know anything about firmware and will check that out. 15 feet is still not good....but Nuvi 265 would take me dead on to GZ. Why have they gotten less effective?

Remember, no GPS unit will ALWAYS take to to GZ/Exact posted cache location. 15' is not that bad even for a top of the line handheld. Don't forget the hiders co-ords will not be perfect ( maybe off 3-5 feet or more)...then if you're off a few feet you're looking at 10' or so. Under an open sky, though, its amazing how close they often are.