Service suggestion - WAP

mewyn

One thing I'd love to see on geocaching.com is a WAP site (for mobile phones) to get basic cache info. For those of us who have wireless Internet access on our cell phones, this would be a great thing. I'd sign up as a subscriber for sure if that was available.

--

mewyn dy'ner

WAP is dead. It never should have been invented in the first place. It was a decent idea, but mobile phone technology surpassed it before it ever really took off.

I'd rather see a "lite" version of the site which uses pages formatted much like the "print-friendly" pages. Mobile phones are increasingly using HTML browsers, while decreasing in WAP functionality. I have both on my phone, and I never use the WAP browser.

--

Random fortune:

sigimage.php

quote:
Originally posted by Cruzin:

WAP is dead. I'd rather see a "lite" version of the site which uses pages formatted much like the "print-friendly" pages.

I take the html files that I generate from my .gpx pocket queries using gpx2html and put them up on my webserver and then use my phone to access them. Even though the phone only has wap (Nextel, wake up and get an html phone browser!), the 'html to wap on the fly' works fine on the files that gpx2html generates (except when the cache hider gets 'cute' with the html in the cache description).

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

I take the html files that I generate from my .gpx pocket queries using gpx2html and put them up on my webserver and then use my phone to access them.

I do something similar. I modified gpx2html a little and have a pocket query set up specifically for this. When the pocket query comes in, my mail filter (procmail) feeds it to the modified gpx2html which processes it and saves everything to a web-accessible directory. From there, I have it set up as an AvantGo channel which I sync with my phone (palm-based). This way, I don't incurr any airtime charges to access the info, and I don't have to worry about cellphone reception while in a gully or something.

--

Random fortune:

sigimage.php

quote:
Originally posted by Cruzin:

This way, I don't incurr any airtime charges to access the info, and I don't have to worry about cellphone reception while in a gully or something.

Nextel doesn't charge airtime when you are connected to the internet. However, I've been in situations (like at Call Before Diggin) where I didn't have cell and couldn't get the cache page (and really, really wish we had).

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I agree WAP may be dead (and it's certainly brain-dead) but it's the only browser built into my Samsung A500. And this is the case for a lot of the other new 3G phones too. Will try to locate a decent 3G HTML web browser... Stand by.

[This message was edited by lowracer on May 31, 2003 at 04:32 AM.]

I just checked the web and -Good News- there are indeed java J2ME HTML browsers available for these new 3G phones. So we're not stuck with WAP. 3G Phone users, just surf your phone over to http://reqwireless.com/wap to download a 10-day demo of WebViewer 3.0. It's $20 bucks if you decide to buy. There are others too, this is just the first one I encountered, it may not be the best. Finally we're free from WAP!

actually the 3g phones native language requirement for the browsers is XHTML basic, which is just a version of HTML that has a few less tags, and MUST follow strict standards instead of being allowed to be loose like html.

WAP is a secondary function of the browsers

If pages are written correctly, you can even visit html pages.