Geo Burn Out or Geo Go Go?

Lately I have noticed that Geoing is not like it used to be. I used to not mind an all day adventure, drive hither and tither. On a whim head off for that FTF.

Was quite a ritual, no worries, gas was affordable.Now with fuel so high.. I dread the travel. I try to cache while enroute, and only enroute.

Today a few caches P&G popped up, one was close to a spot I once considered, but this was my early days, and would have been a LPC, but after figuring it was well dreadfully boring, never placed one there, but some one else did, only they used a GR, really close to the parking lot action.

So I pulled in for the quick enroute cache, just to find muggles hanging out , so moved on to the next, this time a college campus lot, that was doing motorcycle license classes, blocking axcess to the CC.

My steadfast rule in caching, is 3 DNF/strikes day over, so decided on one last enroute cache, got to gZ, and the CC was another dept store lot, GZ took me to the front entrance .. REALLY... read the logs, 2 finds right after pub, and they were not all to great in response, but 1 month in 2 finds, and well I just called it a day, gas is a limited resource so heading off to the woods was not going to happen.

I just want to say, I have no issue with a P&G, they have their purpose, and well honestly, caching burnout syndrome comes to mind. I have heard of it, yet am not totally sure I am B/O, or just worried to much about gs, as 1 tank a week, is enough to get me to and from work, and do a few errands for the reality of life.

Perhaps I am burnt out, perhaps not, but have to wonder, who all is burnt out, and who is still Geoing out there.

If you are B/O, or have gone through a hiatus, what got the ol spark back?

I have a trip planned for GSW IX, hoping that helps!

NOTE:

I know someone will note... THIS IS A "SOCK PUPPET". Forums here can be well a reflection upon a name, reputation is closely followed in this hobby/sport.obsession, enough said, I feel privacy is required at times, and so I have set it up and am giving full notice, sure I'll still get the nasty,or not so nasty, but at least it will not reflect back onto my true identity.

Pace yourself, it's only a hobby... It should be a fun thing. For me, this is one of several leisure activities I enjoy. The gas prices are a real concern. Geocaching usually gets worked in while doing other things (camping, hiking, canoing, working out of town) to help keep gas costs down. Only occasionally, do I make a day of it. Then I will plan on going to a area of interest, so even if I have a bunch of DNF's, I still enjoyed being out for the day.

Was quite a ritual, no worries, gas was affordable.Now with fuel so high.. I dread the travel. I try to cache while enroute, and only enroute.

... and well I just called it a day, gas is a limited resource so heading off to the woods was not going to happen.

Perhaps I am burnt out, perhaps not, but have to wonder, who all is burnt out, and who is still Geoing out there.

I've been at it for 9 years and get that B/O feeling occasionally. Gas prices sure add to aggravation when coords lead me to uninteresting areas or to caches that are listed as small but are really micros, or caches that the CO isn't maintaining. I also get tee'd with myself when I drive around in circles and don't plan my route better so I don't use up more gas then I need to.

My best decision in the last couple of years, that has saved me much aggravation - filter out micros but occassionally go for micros that have a few favorite votes. I'm hoping that Groundspeak will add favorites to the the PQ filters. I'd love to set my PQ for caches with a D/T of less then or equal to 3.5 with at least 2 favorite votes.

... and well I just called it a day, gas is a limited resource so heading off to the woods was not going to happen.

I've been at it for 9 years and get that B/O feeling occasionally. Gas prices sure add to aggravation when coords lead me to uninteresting areas or to caches that are listed as small but are really micros, or caches that the CO isn't maintaining. I also get tee'd with myself when I drive around in circles and don't plan my route better so I don't use up more gas then I need to.

My best decision in the last couple of years, that has saved me much aggravation - filter out micros but occassionally go for micros that have a few favorite votes. I'm hoping that Groundspeak will add favorites to the the PQ filters. I'd love to set my PQ for caches with a D/T of less then or equal to 3.5 with at least 2 favorite votes.

Take a look at http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1319519-searching-for-favorites?ref=title

Its a planned idea that states to put favorites in PQ filters and in the mainsearch page.

I don't search caches that don't seem interesting to me. If that means some caches in my radius are unfound that's ok. Some caches are places I don't particularly like so I don't go after them (unless I'm super close and it's not a hassle). I hand pick the caches I go to. Read the logs and description and look at maps. But if I see anything awry in the logs I don't bother.

I don't cache all the time. I pretty much limit myself to weekends and not all weekend usually. I save the bigger caching trips to once a month or so. Since there's low cache density here most caches require some degree of travel to get to. I plan things out ahead of time. Look at maps, logs, descriptions and make decisions on a cache by cache basis on if i want to do them or not.

I don't have issues with any particular size. I like a nice mix of them. Sometimes finding I get sick of finding the same old ammo can hide just like I get sick of the same old micro hide.

I stop when it's not fun. If I'm looking for a cache and can't find it, I will stop when I'm not interested anymore. If a cache has a higher difficulty I like to come back out to them with fresh eyes. If it's not near me then I just write it off. If the spot the hard cache is isn't fun or interesting I rarely return for a second time to find it.

I started geocaching in 2004 and used to be quite excited about finding geocaches with trade items, Altoid tins magnetically hidden on public water fountains or around public electrical boxes, or other neat hides. But I've never really been all that active, typically fitting GC in whenever I travel.

If I'm traveling to a new State or Country, I'll seek micros, otherwise I filter them out. On the few occasions that I HAVE planned GC excursions, I've filtered the micros only to find some micros labeled as small, resulting in minor annoyance. (If you can't fit a writing stick in it, and/or it's a log-only, it's a micro. Just my opinion.)

Even though I've not been extremely active, I feel the burn-out. I've been combating that by obtaining some small trade items to plant in future cache finds. That has stirred the juices. Now if I can only find the time!

I've been combating that by obtaining some small trade items to plant in future cache finds. That has stirred the juices.

I've done something similar. I've started creating my own signature items to put in caches and I set up a blog where people can log that they've found one of my handcrafted items (I'm getting some great comments too :) ). Makes it more fun. I also started picking up little realistic plastic animals. I display them in my cubicle at work and people come by to see my latest finds. There's something about a menagerie of toys that make people smile (even if it's a 'What the heck!?' kind of smile). Makes it exciting to open up the next cache - maybe I'll find a plastic animal that I don't already have. I'll also trade for handcrafted items.

Take a look at http://feedback.geoc...rites?ref=title

Its a planned idea that states to put favorites in PQ filters and in the mainsearch page.

Fantastic! :D

I've been combating that by obtaining some small trade items to plant in future cache finds. That has stirred the juices.

I've done something similar. I've started creating my own signature items to put in caches and I set up a blog where people can log that they've found one of my handcrafted items (I'm getting some great comments too :) ). Makes it more fun. I also started picking up little realistic plastic animals. I display them in my cubicle at work and people come by to see my latest finds. There's something about a menagerie of toys that make people smile (even if it's a 'What the heck!?' kind of smile). Makes it exciting to open up the next cache - maybe I'll find a plastic animal that I don't already have. I'll also trade for handcrafted items.

I was torn last year between if I wanted to collect plastic animals or plastic horses. Went with animals and have had great fun with it.

I was burning out but then once I realized and accepted that I couldn't find every cache around I felt better. Once I realized I didn't WANT to find every cache around I felt even better than that.

I pick my caches now -- either by location or by reputation. If I read the logs or look at the map and find it's going to be another parking lot cache I'm quite OK with skipping it. After all, if I'm not going to enjoy the experience why bother looking anyway? What does a lame cache give me except another smiley. What's another smiley give me? Nothing.

Someone else said it but I believe it: "If you aren't enjoying caching you have no one to blame but yourself."

Lately I have noticed that Geoing is not like it used to be. I used to not mind an all day adventure, drive hither and tither. On a whim head off for that FTF.

Today a few caches P&G popped up, one was close to a spot I once considered, but this was my early days, and would have been a LPC, but after figuring it was well dreadfully boring, never placed one there, but some one else did, only they used a GR, really close to the parking lot action.

So I pulled in for the quick enroute cache, just to find muggles hanging out , so moved on to the next, this time a college campus lot, that was doing motorcycle license classes, blocking axcess to the CC.

My steadfast rule in caching, is 3 DNF/strikes day over, so decided on one last enroute cache, got to gZ, and the CC was another dept store lot, GZ took me to the front entrance .. REALLY... read the logs, 2 finds right after pub, and they were not all to great in response, but 1 month in 2 finds, and well I just called it a day, gas is a limited resource so heading off to the woods was not going to happen.

I just want to say, I have no issue with a P&G, they have their purpose, and well honestly, caching burnout syndrome comes to mind. I have heard of it, yet am not totally sure I am B/O, or just worried to much about gs, as 1 tank a week, is enough to get me to and from work, and do a few errands for the reality of life.

NOTE:

I know someone will note... THIS IS A "SOCK PUPPET". Forums here can be well a reflection upon a name, reputation is closely followed in this hobby/sport.obsession, enough said, I feel privacy is required at times, and so I have set it up and am giving full notice, sure I'll still get the nasty,or not so nasty, but at least it will not reflect back onto my true identity.

Not sure what part of the world you're in but it's springtime here in Canada and the wildflowers, birds and fragrant blossoms are just what the doctor ordered. Caching in an urban park or a rural setting will bring back la joie de vivre.

NOTE:

I smell a TROLL if you can't post under your REAL caching name (If you even have one) then you don't deserve a reply IMHO

Scubasonic

NOTE:

I smell a TROLL if you can't post under your REAL caching name (If you even have one) then you don't deserve a reply IMHO

Scubasonic

And yet you could not resist the urge to post a reply. Even if it was off topic.

I was burning out but then once I realized and accepted that I couldn't find every cache around I felt better. Once I realized I didn't WANT to find every cache around I felt even better than that.

You have a lot to teach me. :rolleyes:

"There are thousands of caches I have no intention of finding within 100 miles of my zip code" A wise and "old school" cacher >>> Wheelygood

Soon you may understand grasshopper :anibad:

What account where you caching under nine years ago? Just a good natured jab. :P

Going on 10 years and have definitely slowed down myself. Gas prices are a small factor but the big one is that so many caches are in spots i just don't care for. The proliferation of micros hidden in lame, in my opinion, places (parking lots, guardrails, in back alleys, next to smelly dumpsters, etc,,,) just suck away at my geocaching enthusiam. And before anyone says, "Ignore em if you don't like em", i pretty much do. For me, it just gets old seeing the same types of caches published, with very seldom a cache getting put out that's creative, and/or that offers a little challenge, and/or that takes me to a nice location, and/or that is larger than a micro...

What account where you caching under nine years ago? Just a good natured jab. :P

You'lI find a link to our team account via my profile, if you're interested. I started this one up in 2006 to speak for myself in the forums. ^_^

Scubasonic

Well then why'd you post? My point exactly...a basic topic, and well...Oh well.. I know some feel that way.. this is just a basic topic, if It were a serious one I'd post under the handle.. just figured I'd mention it up front, I like privacy at times, and others not so.

So IMHO, it really does not matter, I think this way I'll get honest opinions, and so there it is.

Back on my OP

Liking the posts.. and yep I am B/O , been taking it easy and slow, gas here still 3.95 avg, and so that slooows me way down.

I have been going for just about every cache, as I hate to read and plan... but the more I think about it.. well it just seems the way to go.

Personally... I think it is more about the $'s than anything, at 2.?? I was out every Sat or Sun, well not anymore, we shall see, I know deep down that I like to explore, hiking is fine, add a cache it's great, perhaps I just got a bit caught up in smiley over dose!

Scubasonic

Well then why'd you post? My point exactly...a basic topic, and well...Oh well.. I know some feel that way.. this is just a basic topic, if It were a serious one I'd post under the handle.. just figured I'd mention it up front, I like privacy at times, and others not so.

So IMHO, it really does not matter, I think this way I'll get honest opinions, and so there it is.

Back on my OP

Liking the posts.. and yep I am B/O , been taking it easy and slow, gas here still 3.95 avg, and so that slooows me way down.

I have been going for just about every cache, as I hate to read and plan... but the more I think about it.. well it just seems the way to go.

Personally... I think it is more about the s than anything, at 2.?? I was out every Sat or Sun, well not anymore, we shall see, I know deep down that I like to explore, hiking is fine, add a cache it's great, perhaps I just got a bit caught up in smiley over dose!

I have to agree with SS regarding your sock account. Without it, we have no idea where you are, when you started caching, what sorts of caches are near you that you could, but maybe haven't gone looking for, and much more information that we might have if you had been forthright with us.

But bottom line: If you are no longer enjoying it, then you are doing it wrong.

Gas prices? How much do you spend on gas for a day of caching? How much do you spend if instead you stay home for the day (or go shopping, go to the movies, etc). A tank of gas, maybe $50 (US) at today's inflated prices. A day of caching, maybe a quarter of that ($12.50). Ask somebody to join you and share the expense? $6.25.

Scubasonic

Back on my OP

Personally... I think it is more about the s than anything, at 2.?? I was out every Sat or Sun, well not anymore, we shall see, I know deep down that I like to explore, hiking is fine, add a cache it's great, perhaps I just got a bit caught up in smiley over dose!

I have to agree with SS regarding your sock account. Without it, we have no idea where you are, when you started caching, what sorts of caches are near you that you could, but maybe haven't gone looking for, and much more information that we might have if you had been forthright with us.

Gas prices? How much do you spend on gas for a day of caching? How much do you spend if instead you stay home for the day (or go shopping, go to the movies, etc). A tank of gas, maybe $50 (US) at today's inflated prices. A day of caching, maybe a quarter of that ($12.50). Ask somebody to join you and share the expense? $6.25.

I'd have to disagree with SS and you IMHO, politely. I don't think the OP would want to share where his location. All i care about is that the OP is a cacher, and just asking you guyses opinion for the topic. Who knows if someone in the forums (or particularly the internet) is looking where people live? I respect your opinion- and I will close this with a happy thought by adding a smiley. :)

EDIT: May I also point you to the OP's signature title?

TO get my post on topic, What I do- I only go serious caching on the weekends, and only park at one place and find as much as I want without driving. On weekdays, I just find caches en route to my destination so I don't waste much gas.

Edited by sword fern

Lately I have noticed that Geoing is not like it used to be.

It wasn't what it used to be even before I signed up. Honest question, what are you looking for? Do you need to weed through caches to find the ones you like or do you just sometimes not like caching in general? Personally I find enjoyment by answering questions, or shining up an old ammocan. I've even donated a few. There's more than one point to this hobby.

I would suggest to stop all geocaching activities immediately! And that includes the geocaching forum. Do something different, maybe something that you used to love to do when you were younger.

Wait until you can't stand it anymore, then when you're in the mood, go find a cache!

As for the gas, as I can see this is a big concern, if you're going long-distances, can you go with a group? It'll probably be more fun anyway. :D

Edited by The_Incredibles_

The way I see it, it's supposed to be a fun activity. If you're suffering from burn-out, that means it has stopped being fun. Nothing wrong with stopping for a little while.

There is something about this activity that seems to bring out the OCD aspect of many people (myself included). That's probably what's contributing to the burn-out.

I got really burned out when I was doing my streak. My down time from my injury and the subsequent disability-limiting caching made me really look back on my caching, how I approached it, and what I got out of it. Now I have a simple rule.

If I'm not having fun, I'm done.

I don't care if I've found 100, 1, or non. If I get to a GZ and I find it frustrating or boring, I walk. If some experience puts me off, no matter how early in my cache run for the day, I don't try to force it. I pack it in and go find something else to do.

My caching philosophy is now most succinctly stated by my forum signature.

I pick my caches now -- either by location or by reputation. If I read the logs or look at the map and find it's going to be another parking lot cache I'm quite OK with skipping it. After all, if I'm not going to enjoy the experience why bother looking anyway? What does a lame cache give me except another smiley. What's another smiley give me? Nothing.

Someone else said it but I believe it: "If you aren't enjoying caching you have no one to blame but yourself."

Try an event cache!!

Scubasonic

Back on my OP

I'd have to disagree with SS and you IMHO, politely. I don't think the OP would want to share where his location. All i care about is that the OP is a cacher, and just asking you guyses opinion for the topic. Who knows if someone in the forums (or particularly the internet) is looking where people live? I respect your opinion- and I will close this with a happy thought by adding a smiley. :)

EDIT: May I also point you to the OP's signature title?

TO get my post on topic, What I do- I only go serious caching on the weekends, and only park at one place and find as much as I want without driving. On weekdays, I just find caches en route to my destination so I don't waste much gas.

The bit about the sock account was the minor portion of my post, and I think I explained why using a sock was problematic when it came to coming up with a well thought-out reply. I wasn't criticizing the fact that he used a sock account.

Going on 10 years and have definitely slowed down myself. Gas prices are a small factor but the big one is that so many caches are in spots i just don't care for. The proliferation of micros hidden in lame, in my opinion, places (parking lots, guardrails, in back alleys, next to smelly dumpsters, etc,,,) just suck away at my geocaching enthusiam. And before anyone says, "Ignore em if you don't like em", i pretty much do. For me, it just gets old seeing the same types of caches published, with very seldom a cache getting put out that's creative, and/or that offers a little challenge, and/or that takes me to a nice location, and/or that is larger than a micro...

That pretty much sums it up for me too.

Oh, I do go after the LUM as I encounter them, but I don't go too far out of my way...usually.

The problem is, most (well, many) of the really worthwhile (urban)locations already have caches, and the multitude of new cachers coming on board still want to participate with their own hides...in less than stellar locations.

I really hate squashing a newbie's enthusiasm, but is a skirt-lifter behind the strip-mall really the best you could do?

wth is "Geoing"? :blink:

A clue? Perhaps the OP wants us to guess his/her identity!

Being no expert in forensic linguistics, let me apologise in advance while I guess ...

• kwhart for having written "geoing" once before;
  • AlabamaRambler for having used "hither and tither" at some point previously.

Being no expert in forensic linguistics, let me apologise in advance while I guess ...

TAR is a self-described staunch defender of everything lame. He'd never burn out on micros. Busted, Kwhart. :grin:

Thanks for doing the needful.

Some guy in my area refers to "finding Geo's" in just about every cache log he posts. Yes, sounds funny, and I doubt he realizes no one else refers to it as that, but I know what he means. :lol:

i know what he means alright, i just don't get it why grownups need to make up words, its something that is quite understandable for a 2 year old :lol:

Scubasonic

And yet you could not resist the urge to post a reply. Even if it was off topic.

I don't care WHO ya are. That there's FUNNY!

p68568gp4yo.jpg

NOTE:

These forums have a bad reputation given to them by just a few snarky people and a whole lot more people too thin skinned to bear to even read what goes on here.

Personally, I would have more respect for you if you used your own name. There is nothing wrong with your OP. It's actually a good discussion point. Why not out yourself and dispense with the unwarranted secrecy that is interfering with this discussion? By posting as a sock puppet you have turned your fears into a foregone conclusion.

BTW- Have fun at GW9. You will have a blast. B) At this point, chances of me getting to attend my 7th GW in a row are verrrry remote. :sad:

Because I work for Uncle Sam, we have the benefit of getting moved around every couple years. We also have no kids and no debt, so we're in a pretty good position. I still find I don't get out caching as much as I used to, but then hundreds of our finds in Germany were on my daily 40-mile commute from Wiesbaden to Darmstadt. I used to want to get out all the time solo, now I save it for a weekend activity and normally the wife comes too. So, scaled back, yes, but not burned out just yet, thankfully.

I've found that challenge caches can breathe some life back into caching. Find a new challenge, set yourself a goal, and it adds a new element to the game. Already qualified for the local well-rounded cacher/Fizzy challenge? Go back to the original and see if you're qualified for that one.

Alternatively, scale back on finding and devote some energy to coming up with creative hides, some puzzles or a series or something. If there are more non-P&G caches to find in oyur area, it may inspire others to hide some of their own.

And as you point out, trips are always fun: getting out of the local area and exploring is a treat. When I got my orders last summer to come to Montgomery, I wasn't necessarily thrilled with the prospect of moving to Alabama. But we've had a lot of fun exploring the state on little day trips and doing small weekend vacations around the area: Huntsville, Pensacola, Tallahassee, Savannah, and New Orleans.

Hope this helps.

Actually, there are quite a few references in the forums to "geoing", including at least one account that uses that as part of their name. I find it a rather silly term, but it doesn't bother me. I also know a few people that call it "catching" (or, "geocatching").

Actually, there are quite a few references in the forums to "geoing", including at least one account that uses that as part of their name. I find it a rather silly term, but it doesn't bother me. I also know a few people that call it "catching" (or, "geocatching").

One of my coworkers is Nigerian and he can not pronounce "geocaching." He calls it "Catchin' Joe." As in what are you doin' after work? Catchin' Joe? It has caught on with a few who work with me. They also call it "Joe Catchin'." :rolleyes:

Oh, I have heard many a person say catch. Including people who will actually type it out catch.