Adventures In Canada!

MikeAndHike

I thought it would be great to have a thread to talk about our adventures. All across Canada their are some great times being had every day. Lets share those stories and hopefully share some must cache locations.

I'll get it started. Thursday night my wife (Kraezy) and I realized that we both had Friday off. Not just that, it was a flex Friday, so no school for the kiddos (ages 7,5,3). We stayed up super late and had a movie night with popcorn and candy. After the flick we asked the kids what we should do for our unplanned Family Friday! They all shouted "Go Caching!" So we tucked them into bed and I fired up the cache map on the site to find a nice, close by, cache dense target. About 45 minutes drive away was a semi small town, Stettler AB, with plenty of caches. Managed to scrounge up a PQ and in the morning, okay it was noon we were up late watching a movie, we packed up and hit the road. On the drive there we managed 5 finds and no DNFs. We made it to the town around 1:30pm and are now taking a supper and blizzard break (6pm). We have found 15 so far and DNF 3. Our goal for the day was 20 finds and we have already made that. So all this evenings finds are going to be gravy! We have found a lot of micros. Stettler loves the micro cache! There have been some real fun ones and some real hard ones. We even had to chase off some geese to get to one. I wish I remembered to take more pictures but I get caught up in the hunt and forget to take the camera out until we are headed back.

Well that is part of our Adventures In Canada!

Now tell us about yours.

Your kids have great staying power! It's a long weekend here in BC, so tomorrow, we're heading up-island to Tofino, about 4 hours from the Victoria area. Staying overnight, grabbing a few caches in Tofino and Ucluelet, hopefully some beach time if the weather cooperates. Have to research restaurants also.... :)

pfft i was gonna make a comment about the 2nd and 3rd post but i just realized they're not worth it

anyways, with a long weekend ahead of us we plan on taking some day trips, tomorrow is Christian Island in Georgian Bay

will have to come back and report on how it went :D

While we are all looking forward to a fun weekend, breaking news is that a pickup truck is in the water at our ferry terminal. Sadly, there were people in it. Rescue crews are on scene.....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/05/20/bc-ferry-dock-vehicle.html

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110520/bc_vehicle_plunge_110520/20110520/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

The second link has more info....apparently "the vehicle drove off the loading ramp at a high rate of speed" according to our local TV station.

edit - witnesses now state there was a single occupant, and the drive off the ramp was deliberate. The truck did not come off the ferry.

Edited by popokiiti

While we are all looking forward to a fun weekend, breaking news is that a pickup truck is in the water at our ferry terminal. Sadly, there were people in it. Rescue crews are on scene.....

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ck-vehicle.html

http://www.ctvbc.ctv...ishColumbiaHome

The second link has more info....apparently "the vehicle drove off the loading ramp at a high rate of speed" according to our local TV station.

edit - witnesses now state there was a single occupant, and the drive off the ramp was deliberate. The truck did not come off the ferry.

How bizarre, and unfortunate. Got an email about that and it got me thinking about how stuff like this happens. Was the ferry even in?

Anyway...

I have some plans for caching this weekend which include biking around a lake nearby, then hiking it with some geocachers I've never met the next day. Hope to cross some more caches off the list! :)

Long weekend here in Alberta too. Turns out we got lucky and ended up with a 4 day weekend. Today was all about marathon caching. 12 hours of caching today and my 3 kids, 7,5,3, all made it. Okay the three year old slept through the last 3 geocaches. Our goal was 20 caches today to set a good family record. Well, we destroyed it. 30 finds and 3 DNFs!!! Yeah GO TEAM! We had a blast and got some great pics. Almost hit a pair of Elk with the CachingStar (Our Ford Minivan)! Saw some great country and some fun to drive backroads. Had a blast as a family. The kids did get tired and around 10:30 my 7&5 year old boys started telling nothing but fart jokes for a good 7 minutes. It was awesome! Can't wait to here what stories y'all can create this long weekend.

And for all the haters, please enjoy the following. (NOT KID FRIENDLY: LYRICS)

Tell us all about your recent adventures in the greatest country ever

Just wondering why you want caching stories from the US in the Canadian section. LOL :anibad:

Sorry, saw the thread title and sub title and couldn't help myself. :laughing:

Indulging slightly... Lots of Canadians cache Stateside, and it's always an adventure! Lot's of US'ns cache up here as well!

Oh yes US'n is an official term... opposite of Y'all <_< example: Y'all come visit US'n again now hear.

BTW You know why the White House is white? Interesting History, often buried.

Anyway, back on TOPIC..

Yesterday was my second trip of the year (aside from a local FTF in mid winter). Decided to get out and do some down valley from here, BEFORE the Albertan's descended on us for the weekend. Went to try to locate stage one of a multi in Fernie Mountain Park.

Not going to comment on my rusty finding skills, but I did get it done. But will wait till next visit to attempt the final.

While going over the obvious hide spot (not the real one though) I was circling GZ and being quite attentive to the possibilities.

I saw something in the under pinnings of the roof structure that looked out of place/different and climbed up to have a closer look.

I was checking things out when I hear a voice, "What's Up?". Looked down to see a chap looking up, took a second to take in the BC Parks RANGER uniform... BUSTED.. I don't mind explaining to muggles, but this is the first official encounter. I replied "I am".

Then got into explaining that I was Geocaching, and had simply seen something that might have fit one type of container. He turned out to have done some caching himself, and was up on the activity. (BC Parks is supportive of Geocaching). I knew that deep down having read a lot, but it still is a shock. He stayed around for a bit and we looked and chatted some more, I bet he tries for that cache and two others there when he gets a chance. I still have to go back to do the trail portion, since I wasn't ready to do that today, snow is still retreating in the uplands and I had a non walker with me. And my rechargeable batteries were not showing much life... I had to go get some alkalines anyway. Later I managed to get my 100th find plus two more, so it was a good 'day late' birthday present / trip. Even managed to get back to Elkford before the traffic got really heavy, and it was going the other way mostly. Really good news is that the truck made it without too much aggravation, but still needs some work.

I swear that many people need to learn how to reclose different types of containers properly... not to mention how to NOT run camo tape through the seal areas, especially in quantities that preclude even partially placing the lid, let alone seal it. Always clean the seal area and make sure it locks in. Won't go into the bit about using decent containers, I don't really care what is there, but they need a little care and / or modification to work as well as possible.

At least I'm getting good at salvaging wet logs and such..

Doug 7rxc

I have cached from one end of Canada to the other with the family. We tend to visit caches that are close to where we are going and the odd time use caches to locate where we want to be. We have visited some amazing sites along the way that would would have not been able to visit if it wasn't for the cache listings to let us know the site was there, or how to get to it.

5333511526_03fb80e9d2.jpg

Kay Falls - Closer View by Keith Watson aka Keith Watson, on Flickr

One Second Falls - GCXY6Q, British Columbia

Well we went on a little 6 cache mini-adventure today. It was me and 3 kids ages 5,4,&3! We just went caching around the county to see some backroads, some beautiful scenery, and have a picnic! I have to say that geocaching is taking me places I would never have gone. Not just fancy "amazing" places but on some really fun scenic drives to see where I live in a knew light. We all had a blast and our view for our picnic was epic. How about some photos!

Picnic View North(with a cache 100m away)

78855b84-7999-4cc6-8044-d86e393616fb.jpg

Picnic View South

04313f17-5554-442f-97a3-1fe0f9f41637.jpg