Play anywhere .. or not

nessie3d & Ynka

I just wanted to try out some of those 'play anywhere' WIGs ...

Seems there are lots of so-claimed play anywhere's .... Till you open up the page, go to there, you need to go here ... WTH ??

The embedded tutorial is quite clear and obvious, playable anywhere, hence the term "anywhere", so WHY are there so many WIGs released under this 'location' if they aren't ? It's not that hard to include the location or area you'll need to be in in order to play AND finish the WIG ...

Ah well, guess I'm the noob that doesn't understand the meaning of the English words ...

If any of us could do anything concerning this categorization on the site, I would have suggested you give us a list of the cartridges that aren't. However, until development on the site resumes, the best you can do is to provide that list to Groundspeak (or I can do so if you'd provide me the list and I spend the time needed to verify the cartridges' behavior).

This is the definition I am going off when I think of "Play Anywhere":

For a Wherigo cartridge to be considered as "Play Anywhere", it should not have any location-dependent objects that prevent players from completing the cartridge. A play-anywhere cartridge may involve physical objects if the lack of their presence does not prevent said cartridge's completion. Thus, a play-anywhere cartridge could involve geocaches or question and answer as long as the player can somehow complete the cartridge in the field and without relying on another person at some specific geographical point (depending upon implementation, there may be exceptions to this rule). A location-dependent cartridge may include alternative location-independent activities and still be considered as play-anywhere so long as the cartridge can be marked as complete. All zones and objects used to accomplish play-anywhere functionality should be positioned relative to a point the Player and player (device and person, respectively) have occupied at one time during the cartridge's start, resumption, or duration of play (or the cartridge may not involve zones at all).

I think this is detailed enough and should, to my knowledge, cover everything.