The new maps are RUBBISH!

Perhaps your browser needs updating, I do not know, am not computer expert. The maps have been working for me just fine and recently they even updated the personalization so its automatic. Its fast for me at least.

I've had some interesting experiences with the new maps since GS due to some combination of them no longer querying the live database for map generation and their map cache mechanism. I've logged a cache, waited a few minutes, then zoomed at a different level and had the cache appear as "found" and then "not found", depending on the zoom level. (And, yes, I tried 3 different browsers! :laughing: )

I've had some interesting experiences with the new maps since GS due to some combination of them no longer querying the live database for map generation and their map cache mechanism. I've logged a cache, waited a few minutes, then zoomed at a different level and had the cache appear as "found" and then "not found", depending on the zoom level. (And, yes, I tried 3 different browsers! :laughing: )

There is a personalization threshhold. Once you go beyond that it doesn't work at all.

Overall I like the new maps, but I also don't use them for more then general planning. PQ's, GSAK and macros help with my indepth planning.

Anyone having issues with the new maps and the iPhone. The be map is impossible to use effectively. Is there any way to revert to the old version while using a mobile web browser (not the geoCaching iPhone app)?

I ran into that the other day. Seems like a simple coding fix would solve the problem.

Anyone having issues with the new maps and the iPhone. The be map is impossible to use effectively. Is there any way to revert to the old version while using a mobile web browser (not the geoCaching iPhone app)?

I ran into that the other day. Seems like a simple coding fix would solve the problem.

It doesn't work reliably on the iPad either. Sometimes the caches don't appear.

I've had some interesting experiences with the new maps since GS due to some combination of them no longer querying the live database for map generation and their map cache mechanism. I've logged a cache, waited a few minutes, then zoomed at a different level and had the cache appear as "found" and then "not found", depending on the zoom level.

First, it should be noted that at higher zoom levels, caches are not drawn individually on the new beta maps. Rather, they are image overlays, similar to the underlying street maps or aerial photos. As such, they need to be regenerated every so often to show new caches. Further, they also need to regenerate your own personal set of overlays when you log a find.

Generating all those images, for each user, on-the-fly would be prohibitive so they generate and store them, and periodically regenerate them. What schedule they use I haven't figured out, but it seems to be different for different zoom levels. At the farthest out zoom, a change of a few caches wouldn't even be noticeable so they may only generate them once every month or longer. At the closer zoom levels it might be once a day. At some of the middle zoom levels, it seems to take 2-3 days to show a new cache after it's published. This might seem to be a bit long when you're looking for that cache specifically, but in the overall scheme of things, it's perfectly acceptable. As they move the maps out of beta hopefully they can tweak these schedules a bit.

My issues with the new Beta Maps

1 - I turn off "My Finds" and my finds still show as unfound caches.

2 - On an iPad, the map shows up but no caches are shown.

Groundspeak. Get the map issue fixed.

Another Issue. Some of "My Finds" are creeping back into my Pocket Queries (my finds are omitted)

dl4jones

dl4jones

Have the same problem on my pc at work. No caches showing on the beta map. If I go back to the old map, it defaults first to Seattle, then starts "parsing". Eventually works, but cumbersome.

dl4jones

Have the same problem on my pc at work. No caches showing on the beta map. If I go back to the old map, it defaults first to Seattle, then starts "parsing". Eventually works, but cumbersome.

First, it should be noted that at higher zoom levels, caches are not drawn individually on the new beta maps.

Actually, they're tiles at all zoom levels.

What schedule they use I haven't figured out, but it seems to be different for different zoom levels.

From the release notes: "Find logs and hidden caches show up on Maps Beta after 5 minutes, down from 15".

I believe the time goes up a bit if the site is busy and goes up a lot right after they make a change that requires all the tiles to be redrawn.

It doesn't work reliably on the iPad either. Sometimes the caches don't appear.

New maps on ipad are somewhat irratic. There is a link where it reverts to the old map which funnily works better than the beta one.