Cache Retrofit Advice

I've got this great micro cache, probably the hardest of mine out there. Without giving away too much in case any local cachers are reading this and can make the connection, it is an object that has been drilled out to make way for a traditional, plain old vanilla plastic locking micro cache container, just big enough to fit a tiny log sheet which I also can't seem to find. But I digress.

Here is a URL that shows the EXACT micro cache "insert" that is in the cache right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Green-Tricky-Micro-Geocache-Containers-bison-tubes-/320700305888?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aab3a51e0

This container is simply not working out in terms of environmental conditions, particularly rain and moisture. I just got back from an emergency cache fix where I had to remove a soggy log sheet and replace with a dry one that I'm sure will be soggy again soon. Not good.

What I am looking for is a weather resistant, heavy duty, plastic or metal version of that micro cache insert, preferably with an O-ring like a bison tube and the like. I could feasibly drill the existing hole out a small amount more, but I'd rather not do that and jeopardize ruining the cache. I've also thought about glueing a tiny nano cache on the bottom of this, or attaching a bison tube "remotely" by knocking a nail into that insert opening and tying a fishing line to the nail, with the other end attached to the bison tube. All of these options will obviously make the cache more noticeable, but I'm not up for this kind of regular log sheet maintenance every rainy day, and it's not fair to cachers checking out and hopefully finding my cache to not be able to sign the log sheet.

Has anyone see a weather resistant version of the cache container I've shown via the URL above.

Btw, this is it for buying caches. From now on, I'm making my own.

Thanks in advance for your help.

no, i haven't seen a waterproof version of that container, but we found a cache the other day with that same container and i guess it got kicked and was just sitting in the open and was all nice and dry, and yes we had quite a bit of rain the last few days

if yours is sheltered from the elements it might be OK

Not sure what the dimensions involved are but perhaps one of the "cryo tubes"?

imagesqtbnANd9GcQ31eOhgM3lCiqh2NHObItJ2ymkTWqX_vvLRGJG-rIwUrGbsEF37wt1.jpg

nah, the containers he linked are tiny something like .5" opening (not even that much) and about 1" long

Edited by t4e

I hope the 'object' that was drilled out belongs to you or it is a guideline violation.

The object that was drilled out belongs to me, I paid good money for it. I have violated no guidelines whatsoever. While I do appreciate the response from a Charter Member, I would have really appreciated a more constructive response to my post.

no, i haven't seen a waterproof version of that container, but we found a cache the other day with that same container and i guess it got kicked and was just sitting in the open and was all nice and dry, and yes we had quite a bit of rain the last few days

if yours is sheltered from the elements it might be OK

Unfortunately, it is not sheltered from the elements.

I have one of these out as a stage in a multi and it has held up surprisingly well. I didn't buy it on ebay, though, so I'm not sure if there's variation in quality on these sorts of things. It is pretty well sheltered, though, and maybe that makes a difference. I think whether it works or not depends on exactly how you've placed it and the environment of the area.

Not sure what the dimensions involved are but perhaps one of the "cryo tubes"?

imagesqtbnANd9GcQ31eOhgM3lCiqh2NHObItJ2ymkTWqX_vvLRGJG-rIwUrGbsEF37wt1.jpg

Got an online site to purchase these?

Never mind, I found them. I think that I can wedge this into the hole vacated by the other one. Like those old Meineke commercials, I'll make it fit :) Thanks again.

I've got this great micro cache, probably the hardest of mine out there. Without giving away too much in case any local cachers are reading this and can make the connection, it is an object that has been drilled out to make way for a traditional, plain old vanilla plastic locking micro cache container, just big enough to fit a tiny log sheet which I also can't seem to find. But I digress.

Here is a URL that shows the EXACT micro cache "insert" that is in the cache right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Green-Tricky-Micro-Geocache-Containers-bison-tubes-/320700305888?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aab3a51e0

This container is simply not working out in terms of environmental conditions, particularly rain and moisture. I just got back from an emergency cache fix where I had to remove a soggy log sheet and replace with a dry one that I'm sure will be soggy again soon. Not good.

What I am looking for is a weather resistant, heavy duty, plastic or metal version of that micro cache insert, preferably with an O-ring like a bison tube and the like. I could feasibly drill the existing hole out a small amount more, but I'd rather not do that and jeopardize ruining the cache. I've also thought about glueing a tiny nano cache on the bottom of this, or attaching a bison tube "remotely" by knocking a nail into that insert opening and tying a fishing line to the nail, with the other end attached to the bison tube. All of these options will obviously make the cache more noticeable, but I'm not up for this kind of regular log sheet maintenance every rainy day, and it's not fair to cachers checking out and hopefully finding my cache to not be able to sign the log sheet.

Has anyone see a weather resistant version of the cache container I've shown via the URL above.

check this out,i think it's what you are looking for. It is about the same diameter as the snap tops but it has a cap and a oring. I have several of these out and have never had any wet logs in them.

http://www.mygeocachingstore.com/cryomicro.htm

check this out,i think it's what you are looking for. It is about the same diameter as the snap tops but it has a cap and a oring. I have several of these out and have never had any wet logs in them.

http://www.mygeocachingstore.com/cryomicro.htm

:) I bought a bunch of those last night, then saw your post :) Now I've got more caches than I know what to do with, I guess I'll have to hide some more caches, ho hum :) Thanks again.