Terrain quandary

We are placing caches along a trail that is over 2 miles long. You can enter from either end.

The path is packed dirt with small rocks and roots, at either end there is down hill but not too bad. The first cache at either end could be a 2 or 2.5 As you go on there are a few trees you need to go over or around as well as rocks to cross a stream in 2 places and a bridge made from thin trees roped together. Not stroller friendly at all.

The first ones at either end could be a 2 except if you came from the other direction and already went over the obstacle course. Would it be appropriate to average them all to a 3? The stream crossings may be fairly dry in the summer but at times the stepping stones could be under water.

One we would like to put out would require a boat, maybe swimming but rocky and a current - not sure how we will accomplish that - we've laughed about tossing it to the piece of land and having the FTF place it!

As to the hides, a couple are logs we drilled into and put a pvc container in, a mushroom with a bison tube, ammo can, a bison tube attached to cool vines (I know, bison tubes in the woods are not liked) and a mid size locknlock with a plant glued to the top. Instead of 2 drilled logs would you suggest another larger container?

The second trail we are doing has only 3 caches, one of which is a large cooler.

As to the hides, a couple are logs we drilled into and put a pvc container in...

Unless those are your logs doing that would be a guideline violation and your reviewer will not publish those caches.

As far as your question, I would rate eache cache on its own merits assuming that searchers will take the easiest approach.

Edited by briansnat

"Unless those are your logs doing that would be a guideline violation and your reviewer will not publish those caches"

I hadn't thought about that.

This trail is owned by the Catawba Lands Conservancy, part of the Thread Trail. I don't know if it makes any difference but the Land Conservancy asked us to place caches on the trail after giving us permission to place them on another of their trails.

The trails are not maintained with the idea that visitors will keep the trails clear and clean.

One of the logs I prepared at home and carried in. The other is in an opening we called 'field of logs' because there are so many large cut up ones.

I'll check with our reviewer to see if I were to get permission from the Land Conservancy would they approve it.

On the terrain - I guess we will rate the ones in the middle of the trail higher, makes sense.

Thanks all!