Premium Feature: Recent logs by state.

southdeltan

I think that a great premium feature (for paying members) would be a 'logs by state' featuring the last 200 (or more?) logs by state.

This would make it a lot easier to keep up with activity in a state.

I'm sure it could also be recent logs by metro area also.

I'd pay for this feature.

sd

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

I think that a great premium feature (for paying members) would be a 'logs by state' featuring the last 200 (or more?) logs by state.

This would make it a lot easier to keep up with activity in a state.

I guess it might be okay for all you folks living in those itty-bitty states. Not much use here. I doubt if someone in Amarillo is going to be overly interested in a cache found in Corpus Christi, 700 miles away.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

I guess it might be okay for all you folks living in those itty-bitty states. Not much use here. I doubt if someone in Amarillo is going to be overly interested in a cache found in Corpus Christi, 700 miles away.

You must have missed this:

quote:
I'm sure it could also be recent logs by metro area also.

Of course, it's more useful for the 'itty bitty' states to see the by state, but then again I bet lots of people in freakishly large TeXas would be interested.

I have to drive 90 miles (one way) to find a cache (yea, it's only 60 as the crow flies) so distance isn't that big a deal to me.

sd

You already get the moxt recent logs for a given cache in the Pocket Queries. Read 'em as you need 'em. You can also elect to get the logs by using the Watch This Cache link on each cache page. Of course, that one involves some effort because you'll have to visit each cache page.

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Duck:

You already get the moxt recent logs for a given cache in the Pocket Queries. Read 'em as you need 'em. You can also elect to get the logs by using the Watch This Cache link on each cache page. Of course, that one involves some effort because you'll have to visit each cache page.

_That Quack Cacher:_

_Lone Duck_

_When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there._

I watch several caches. When a log is entered I recieve an email. I am limited to only 100 caches but I doubt I'd ever approach that number - I don't want my inbox filled with logs. There are also over 100 caches in the state - it wouldn't help me keep up with other cachers in my state if I only had 1/3 of the caches. Of course, I know that quite a few states have over 1000 caches - hence the metro area feature suggestion.

I'm not sure about Pocket Queries. I do not recieve these. As I understand it you only get the last 5 logs?

That may be a possible solution but it seems to be more work to use a 3rd party program to do something that could easily be added to the website.

These are interesting suggestions - but I don't see what harm a page similar to Dan's would create - they already have the framework in place here with 'recent caches' - just put in a bit to limit to a certain area.

sd

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

I wouldn't mind if that kind of feature would apply the rest of geocaching countries in addition to the US.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -