Android v2 Release Notes

I like the look of the new app and the battery drain issue seems to have been fixed, so thank you. A few points I've noticed so far...

- Very long PQ download time, it looks like it downloads them in batches of ten caches, the spends an absolute age processing the data.

- Logs are not being correctly saved for offline use, hence only the "More" button, which only works if you've got an active net connection.

- The GPS icon when trying to get a fix on the main page flickers a lot, like it's being restarted constantly. It's as if the app is polling for GPS data at random, and not waiting for a GPS fix. When navigating via compass, it's rock solid however.

- App ignores the phone's Screen Rotation setting and rotates anyway.

- Still no App2SD on a 5MB+ app, it only takes one line of code in the manifest tag!!!

- Still no trackable support :(

- The Sort By option is not sticking. Caches are placed in what looks like a random order. I have to press Menu > Sort By Distance every time.

Phone: HTC Desire

Android: Froyo 2.2

Edited by moche

Is there an option to logout in the new version? I couldn't find it. My girlfriend and I go caching quite a bit together and I was glad to see the switch user function, however the first time I tried to switch to her account, it wouldn't switch back to my account (there were no options to remember me either). I ended up having to say don't allow access before I could even get the login screen. Is it possible to save user information so that it doesn't have to be entered when switching users? I will be looking forward to the trackables option so that I can start logging caches in the field again. Will the next release also bring up the personal cache notes section? Thanks for the upgrade, looking forward to the next one.

I've just tested the same issue on my Motorola A855 and achieved the exact same effect: namely, deny the access, then try again to log in. This is a particularly egregious mistake considering the warning to never give out your log in information before the second person logs in. In my case, my wife's login was persistent on my phone even AFTER a phone reboot. This is a HIGH PRIORITY BUG.

Saw the upgrade in the Market and gave it a try. Some thoughts:

• it's faster
  • like the gui change
  • seems better behaved in low cell reception areas

But......

• still can't grab/note/drop trackables via the app. Ugh.

Agreed. It's nice that it has the option to grab a trackable (if you go to the main screen and search by trackable), but it would seem that I cannot use the app to ever drop one. Don't enough trackables go missing without encouraging it? This is a REASONABLE HIGH-EFFECT FEATURE REQUEST.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In general, I'm very happy with the app. The improved GUI makes it easier to read. The database processing is noticeably slower though (note: this is both PQs from the web and .gpx from an SD file so I'm guessing that it's the app itself here). I've got reasons both to like and dislike that a .gpx file with more than 100 caches in it will now show up (and quickly) on the Map View. The advanced searches are awesome. Overall: it's a B+ update. It almost had the A, but there are just some glitches (ex: the switch user fail) that are too big to ignore.

Also, as a wishlist item: I'd sooner want to see my stats than my souvenirs.

And then the pipe dream for a future release (i.e., not a bug fix version - fix those first): an interactive touchscreen map option to trace a route on the map (perhaps even multiple disjoint segments) with my finger, which is then searchable like a .kml route, which is then savable as an offlist line for future use.

Purchased for my HTC Eris tonight. Not able to logon to the network or search. Can't connect.......

Update: After waiting about 12 hours, I'm now able to use the application. Maybe due to a new account? I could log on via the web though...

So far, working as described.

Tks....

Edited by jonesjl99

Did all this. Application still doesn't work on my Motorola Cliq XT. I like the mapping function so much better than my GPS (I tend to either only use my smartphone or use both when caching) that I've had to install a free geocaching program. It's not a program Groundspeak supports, and I'd be happy to uninstall it, if only the geocaching.com app worked on my phone. Anyone have any news about bug fixes?

For those having force close issues I'd suggest.

- Settings > Applications > Manage Applications.

- Find Geocaching

- Select Clear Cache

- Select Clear Data

- Uninstall

- Reboot phone, and re install from Market.

If this doesn't work, then it's defiantly a GC issue.

Edited by Limejoy

My app has not worked after update. It says "Failed to connect to geocaching.com" I can't search for a cache and i can't find my GPS location. Any ideas to get it work?

My experience exactly. We need to keep encouraging GS as I have every confidence that they will get it right. I know that they are working on it.

For me, for the time being, I am using "that other one" !!!!!!!!!!

What has happened, the app was working this morning 13 June 2011 (UK time) and now all this afternoon I keep getting 'Failed to connect to Geocaching.com'? It does appear as though the app is logged into Geocaching.com, as it displaying my username, number of caches logged and that I am a Premium member. So what is the cause of the problem ?

Before this it had been working fine.

Senux

My app has not worked after update. It says "Failed to connect to geocaching.com" I can't search for a cache and i can't find my GPS location. Any ideas to get it work?

My experience exactly. We need to keep encouraging GS as I have every confidence that they will get it right. I know that they are working on it.

For me, for the time being, I am using "that other one" !!!!!!!!!!

Agree! My app doesnt work at all either so I have done the same: downloaded c:geo for time being. It works perfectly

Phone: Xperia. I have tried uninstall/reinstall and reboot of phone without any luck!