Android v2 Release Notes

Geocaching.com Android App Update to Version 2.0

The new version of Groundspeak's Geocaching for Android Application has hit the market. Here are the release notes:

QKN5U.png

- Added new Advanced Search

• Location Search
  • Filter by Cache Types
  • Filter by Size
  • Exclude Finds
  • Filter by Difficulty
  • Filter by Terrain
  • Search by Geocache Name
  • Filter by Other Users’ Finds

- Battery drain issues have been addressed

- Major UI update

- Geocaches, Searches and Pocket Queries may now be saved into custom lists

- True multi-user support; multiple users have their own geocache database on a device

- Most recently viewed geocaches are cached on the device

- New cache icons

- Cache search list remembers your sort settings when retrieving “more” caches

- Log/recent photos can now be found with the actual log. When a log has a photo icon, click the log and the photo will appear. Only the cache photos will be found in the photos link in the cache details

- Added a “waiting” animation when the cache hasn’t yet fully loaded

- There is a photo loading animation instead of a frowny face

- Update a saved geocache by selecting “update” from the menu in cache details

- Cancel Pocket Query download by pressing the back button

Please visit our Feedback site if you have any feature requests or bugs to report. Happy Geocaching!

Well done, the app is much quicker, looks nicer, and filtering/advanced search is highly appreciated.

Some early notes...

* Advanced search does not seem complete. I.e. a search for Wherigo and webcam in Oslo gives zero results, but there are two. They show up on wider searches.

* The app says I've got no souvenirs - not true.

* PQ loading seems even slower, but I can't detect added functionality.

* Sadly, nothing new on trackable logging.

Well done, the app is much quicker, looks nicer, and filtering/advanced search is highly appreciated. Some early notes...

* Advanced search does not seem complete. I.e. a search for Wherigo and webcam in Oslo gives zero results, but there are two. They show up on wider searches. The advanced search is restricted to 10 miles. We will look into offering the option of expanding the search radius when no results are found.

* The app says I've got no souvenirs - not true. You are certain you are logged in? We cannot reproduce this locally. Please reply with more info if you can.

* PQ loading seems even slower, but I can't detect added functionality. The server is getting hit with a lot of traffic at the moment. This should settle down fairly quickly.

* Sadly, nothing new on trackable logging. This is coming in the next release.

Answers inline.

Oh, and it's a pity that waypoints added to various caches are lost with the upgrade. I hope I have most mystery solutions as cache notes - and that I can remember most of the caches I had solved...

These waypoints should have been retained - we tested this before release. When you logged in the first time were you given the option to migrate your data? If not try logging in again and see if you are prompted.

App is very good at first look. Very nice optik, works fast.

But some things I expected are not in this app right now.

Live map and geocaching live should be in the app too. I hoped it is in the update, but it isn't.

Maybe Open Street Map instead of google Maps or maybe as third option. Looks nicer and for geocaching it is more detailed.

That could be great if you can add it to this version, then it could be the best GC App.

Edited by Lemmi1de

* The app says I've got no souvenirs - not true. You are certain you are logged in? We cannot reproduce this locally. Please reply with more info if you can.

Answers inline.

Oh, and it's a pity that waypoints added to various caches are lost with the upgrade. I hope I have most mystery solutions as cache notes - and that I can remember most of the caches I had solved...

These waypoints should have been retained - we tested this before release. When you logged in the first time were you given the option to migrate your data? If not try logging in again and see if you are prompted.

I was logged in with my username and password. I was asked if I wanted to migrate, I clicked yes. If the process took more than 5 minutes and the app did not keep the device awake, it is possible that the migration stalled, as my screen/wifi are shut off after 5 minutes of not using the phone.

I'm trying to log out. The only option that I guess might allow me to do that, is "switch user". I add my username and pwd. On the next screen, I click "allow access". This consistently produces a force close. Maybe because I'm trying to log in with the same user (not really switching)?

The has access to my PQs, so I'm guessing that I am in fact logged in.

The app looks very nice, and it's great that I can now navigate to a cache instantly, however:

- Migration took me over an hour. I have 14 PQ's of which 10 have 1000 caches. I started the migration and fell asleep, as did my phone, when I woke up an hour later it was still migrating. I'm not sure when it finished. It's not a big issue as I'll never have to do it again, however users should be warned.

- Recent logs are not viewable offline. I find logs a great help in the field where sometimes there is no signal. Previously I was able to view the last 20 logs.

- Menus are a little confusing. I click on "Pocket Queries" expecting to find caches using a PQ, however it asks me which I want to download.

- Sort by distance isn't the default search result anymore, I'm not entirely sure what is, the caches listed seem to be random (viewing a PQ).

Thanks for the update, I can't wait to be able to log trackables - that feature would complete this app. As I dip a coin in every cache I visit, I can't currently log finds in the field, but I'd love to be able to. Is there an estimated date for 2.1?

Minor bug:

In compass mode, when I select destination, the popup menu does not show full letters. I.e. the bottom 25% of the words are white. B looks like h, y looks like v, etc. There's enough space, but it looks as though some sort of inner margin is applied.

- Recent logs are not viewable offline. I find logs a great help in the field where sometimes there is no signal. Previously I was able to view the last 20 logs.

I have the same problem.

* I downloaded a PQ

* I went offline

* I opened PQ (from offline list)

* I chose a cache

* Main cache page says "recent logs (5)"

* I clicked "recent logs"

* I got to a new page that says only "more..."

* I clicked "more..."

* Nothing happens

The same happens when I try caches that I manually saved to offline list.

It does NOT happen for a cache where I first viewed recent logs, THEN saved to offline list. In this case, logs are still available in offline mode.

Sorry, can't post this to the feedback forum, I am out of votes (or votes for completed items haven't been returned).

I'm having some of the same problems as some of the above, such as long load times for PQ's.

But here's 2 that weren't mentioned:

When I "find nearby caches", the list displays and indicates 5 recent logs for a cache. However, selecting recent logs gives me a screen with just "More" (and the background). Selecting "more" then displays the 5 logs.

And last, searching for a GPX file from the SD card works fine. It displays the found GPX file, then selecting it causes a Force Close. I tried with several GPX files.

I removed the app and cleared out the data and re-downoaded as new. Same results.

I am using a Verizon HTC Incredible with stock 2.2 Android. Older versions (1.1.X) worked fine.

Is there an option to logout in the new version? I couldn't find it. My girlfriend and I go caching quite a bit together and I was glad to see the switch user function, however the first time I tried to switch to her account, it wouldn't switch back to my account (there were no options to remember me either). I ended up having to say don't allow access before I could even get the login screen. Is it possible to save user information so that it doesn't have to be entered when switching users? I will be looking forward to the trackables option so that I can start logging caches in the field again. Will the next release also bring up the personal cache notes section? Thanks for the upgrade, looking forward to the next one.

PQ downloading is slow and it's not because of server traffic. It took 13 minutes to load a 950-waypoint GPX file from the SD card. Downloading the same PQ from the server takes 15 minutes, so most of the time is spent by the geocaching app processing the GPX data and inserting it into its database. This is an unacceptably slow process. A better idea would be to preprocess the PQ data on the geocaching server into a form that can be inserted quickly by the geocaching app. Phones just aren't made for doing heavy work.

Unfortunately, it got worse after that. After loading this PQ from the SD card and saving it to an offline list, the geocaching app force closes every time I start it so it is completely unusable. I had to clear all the data and start from scratch in order to get it to start up properly. So all the preceding turned out to be a waste of time.

The rest of the geocaching app seems to work fine, but without offline data, it will be impossible to use it in areas with poor cell phone reception.

Edited by mortonfox

Dont download! It doesnt work. I downloaded for my Motorolla I 1 (droid platform) on startup of the app you get "the application has stopped working" and it forces a close. Just wish I could find the old version and install it. My phone software is fully up to date as well.

I've run it several times, for a few minutes at a time, since installing last night. It still has not shown up on the list of "which devices are using the battery", so I'd say the developers have got that problem licked. Well done! :lol:

It's quite speedy, though the real test will be when the weekend comes. Still, I'm more than happy to ditch c:geo and use this for my impulse-caching needs.

Here's hoping it's not another 4-5 months before the next release. There are a lot of good feature suggestions in the support forum.

Eusty - How? If I switch flight mode on to simulate being in the sticks, I can't see any logs at all.

Eagsc7 - I'd try a Ferrari if it were free too, luckily this app is cheaper.

I saved a cache for offline, then switched to flight mode and I could read the logs.

Just one thought, did you allow enough time before saving the cache? I noticed that it downloads the logs/description etc after you view the cache, I'm just wondering if it didn't have time to download them before you saved it?

I upgraded and was given the option to migrate my data. I chose this and it seemed to lock up. I left it for a very long time but it made no progress. I tried turning the phone off and on but it did not help. In the end I force closed which screwed up the program and it would not open again. I ended up deleting it and then re-installing. Works fine now. it if much faster than the previous version so that alone is worth it since it crawled before. Thanks for the update.

I see complaints about slow PQ downloads. FYI, my pocket queries downloaded quickly.

OK, I take it back. This morning PQs downloaded quickly. This evening I am downloading one and it's crawling slower than a snail.

Edited by jackrock

I was excited to download the app update for Android. After installing the update the app ran well and looked good. I found a couple of caches today using the new app. Later this afternoon the app started to mess up. After searching for caches the app produced a list of caches. Upon selecting a cache the app locks up and does not open the cache page. After a few moments it "Forces close". After forcing close the app reopens to a blank white page that says "More..." on top and remains locked up. Now I cannot use the app for navigating to cache sites. Too bad, I was planning a cache run this weekend. Hope it is fixed before Saturday morning. Using Samsung Facinate through Verizon. Android OS is up to date according to my phone "checking for updates" through Verizon.

Eusty - How? If I switch flight mode on to simulate being in the sticks, I can't see any logs at all.

I saved a cache for offline, then switched to flight mode and I could read the logs.

Just one thought, did you allow enough time before saving the cache? I noticed that it downloads the logs/description etc after you view the cache, I'm just wondering if it didn't have time to download them before you saved it?

I haven't saved them for offline use, I'm using a PQ, which on the previous version of the app, showed the last 20 logs.

I haven't saved them for offline use, I'm using a PQ, which on the previous version of the app, showed the last 20 logs.

Ah I see! I haven't downloaded any PQ's yet...I've started but they take SO long even on wifi :(

For those having problems with downloading with wifi I'd suggest checking to see what connection speed you have. WIFI can be very slow and is nowhere the speeds you get with DSL or cable. I don't download anything with wifi unless I absolutely have to. The one except if is I need to download something to my laptop in which case I'll let it down load via the wifi because I can do other things via my desktop which is hardwired into the cable.

I don't think it's a problem with network speed. I loaded a .GPX file from a folder on the SD card in my phone. The file contained ~70 caches, and it took several minutes. In fact, it took about the same amount of time as it took to load the same info from a PQ. The app is creating a database, and seems to pretty inefficient at it. GeOrg takes only a few seconds to do a similar task with the same file.

Also, the GPX file contained 5 logs per cache. The app showed that there were 5 logs to view, but when I clicked on it there were none displayed -- just a "load more..." dialog. Clicking on that didn't load the logs. This was while I was disconnected from both Wi-Fi and mobile data.

Edited by JJnTJ

downloaded the app today, didn't take too very long, and pq just a few minutes for 278. Looks good so far, except one issue, caches are listed in km instead of miles. I could see nowhere for "help" to find out how to fix that. Is there a "help" I'm overlooking? otherwise, how can this be changed? thanks for this, I've used the BB version (way small fonts, needed magnifying glass often) and ipod (very similar to this). thanks so much!

Edited by dleel

...caches are listed in km instead of miles. I could see nowhere for "help" to find out how to fix that. Is there a "help" I'm overlooking? otherwise, how can this be changed? ...

On the main page of the app, click the phone's "Menu" button and select "settings". You'll probably also want to set the search filter to "Advanced" and select "Hide Finds".

Saw the upgrade in the Market and gave it a try. Some thoughts:

• it's faster
  • like the gui change
  • seems better behaved in low cell reception areas

But......

• still can't grab/note/drop trackables via the app. Ugh.
  • it would be helpful if your nearest caches had the direction (N/NE/S etc.) next to the distance

Only nit I've seen is that way out in the sticks in low cell areas I saw a few times where it wouldn't let me click on the post logs button at all. Going in/out of the nearest cache page seemed to fix it, but I suspect that was just a coincidence. Guessing I was in a very borderline area.

That said, seems like a nice improvement so far.

And, most important, thanks for letting us provide feedback HERE in regular forums, rather in that incomprehensibly lame and unfriendly (to me, at least) "feedback" site you used to force us to.

Edited by vds

I see that several of us are having the same issues as I posted 2 days ago. I am still waiting for a response as I can't use the app at all right now!! I am getting the error message "application has stopped unexpectedly" (process com.Groundspeak.geocaching). I would like an answer soon!!

Thanks!

"On the main page of the app, click the phone's "Menu" button and select "settings". You'll probably also want to set the search filter to "Advanced" and select "Hide Finds"."

Thanks for the quick response and assistance! :D ....just moved to the Droid X and learning the ins and outs of the phone and this program.

I see that several of us are having the same issues as I posted 2 days ago. I am still waiting for a response as I can't use the app at all right now!! I am getting the error message "application has stopped unexpectedly" (process com.Groundspeak.geocaching). I would like an answer soon!!

Thanks!

I have heartache ever since I upgraded. My compass seems to work only half the time. Yesterday I'd select navigate to cache via compass, it would sometime show 500 feet or maybe 2.5 miles and other times it would tell me I'm 2.8KM from the cache (I checked settings, It's set to miles and feet). I'd back out and go back in it maybe would tell me now I'm 150feet from the cache, but the compass would not move. I'd do this dance until i got closer enough that my Geo Senses would kick in.

Once I'd found the cache, while trying to write a field note, by screen remains blank. I've found that even tho I can't see the words, if I hit ok, they will be there on the preview page before sending.

When viewing the description page of the cache 50% of the time it's blank. I will back out and reload then the description will be there.

I was truly excited about the update, but I've found my self wondering if I uninstall can I reinstall the older version without being asked to pay money again. PLease let me know when a fix is available, I reallt love Geocaching and found it's nearly impossible to do now sense all I have is my phone.

Thank you

Does the new app. support Honeycomb on Motorola xoom?

Used Android V2.0 on my Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi+3G Honeycomb tablet for caching this afternoon. Works great with Goole Maps/Satellite and uploaded photos no problem. The compass works fine and seems to be highly accurate :-).

The only problem is with caches with waypoints. The waypoints on the website have individual names but on the Xoom the waypoints are listed Waypoint 1 Waypoint 2 Waypoint 3 etc so its difficult to tell which is which.

Ozz

I'd like to add my voice to those reporting that V 2.0 does not work on their phone. I use a Motorola Cliq XT, discovered today the new version does not work after I had already hit the trails. I can't get beyond the "The application Geocaching (process com.Groundspeak.geocaching) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." error message page no matter what combination of un/reinstalling and turning phone off and on I try. Any advice or promises to release a bug fix soon?

My issue with this upgrade is different from what I have been reading here. I cannot get the app to NOT show my finds. I have changed the settings so that it hides my finds in both basic search and advanced search. I have closed the app down and restarted it and still, when I ask it to show nearly caches, I get the list but it shows all of my finds too. Since I have pretty much cleaned out the area within 5 miles of home, I dont prefer to have to sort through hundreds of caches to see if theres just a few that I need to look for. I wonder if I can uninstall this app and go back to the previous version, OR uninstall and re-install it. Any ideas?

I was truly excited about the update, but I've found my self wondering if I uninstall can I reinstall the older version. Please let me know when a fix is available.

Thank you

I am using a Garmin Ausus A10. It worked perfectly with the previous version. With ver 2 I get logged onto GC.com properly with my user name showing me as logged in however I can't get the "nearest" feature to work. All I get is an almost blank screen with just "more" in the top left hand corner. Clicking on "more" doesn't do anything.

What can I try next?

Uninstall and try reinstalling ?

Going back somehow to the previous version ?

Do nothing but use c.geo (dirty word ?) the latest version of which is working and doing what I expect ?

Jim

Edited by Onslow Fisherman

One of the main reasons I upgraded to a smart phone was for the geocaching app. I have 'purchased' a few apps other than the Geocaching app. I had a bit of an issue with one other app, I was able to find the owner of the app, and I discussed my issue with him via e-nail and within a day my issue was resolved.

If an app is so full of bugs that it doesnt work as it is supposed to, then why does the paying public need to throw their money into more R & D?

Does GS feel as though the have a captive audience and no matter what bone they throw is we will bite?

Using latest version on an HTC Magic running Android 2.2

Application freezes when you get to the Geocache details page. Cannot scroll, cannot select anything.

At the moment this app is 100% useless to me.

This needs sorting, quickly. Or GS should open its API to others so that we are not relying on their, often buggy, application.

For those having force close issues I'd suggest.

- Settings > Applications > Manage Applications.

- Find Geocaching

- Select Clear Cache

- Select Clear Data

- Uninstall

- Reboot phone, and re install from Market.

If this doesn't work, then it's defiantly a GC issue.