Mapset Toolkit Parameter is incorrect error

I am trying to copy an .img file into mapsource using Mapset Toolkit and cgpsmapper. I have downloaded the latest from both of these and followed the instructions from various forums however, every time I press start, I get the DOS window pop up which only has a couple of lines, then 'The parameter is incorrect' and a failure.

Any ideas?

My normal method is to click the Install button under the installed map list on the right.

When the dialog box appears click the ... button to the right of TDB file and select the tdb file in the img folder

Then do the same for the Overview map (generally named the same as the tdb file) & the TYP files (this might not exist)

Final step before clicking the INSTALL button is to enter a name in the Registry Name box

I believe that cgpsmapper is only needed if the img file has been compiled for direct placement on the gps so doesn't have the overview & tdb files.

In this case I use the gmaptool to extract the seperate img tiles from the compiled img file, which also calls cgpsmapper to covert a created mp file into the overview map.

P.S. as you might be able to tell I'm not the best at documentation:rolleyes:

To add a little to the words of the MadProf:

The easiest way to get an IMG into MapSource is to "Install" it using MapSetToolKit. To do this you need a TDB file for the mapset you wish to add, a overviewmap.IMG file for the mapset, and IMG (and IDX if the map is routable) files for the maps in the mapset. If you already have all these files, you can "Install" as the professor describes. If you only have IMG and IDX files and they were compiled with cgpsmapper you can use MapSetToolKit to call cgpsmapper's cpreview.exe to create the TDB and overviewmap.IMG files. However, if the IMG file was compiled with mkgmap (the OSM compiler) you are out of luck. You'll need to run mkgmap with the TDB option to get suitable TDB and overviewmap.IMG files.

Edited by seldom_sn

Thanks for all the tips. Didn't get it going with the programs I mentioned as I only had an .img file, no TDB file.

What I did manage to use to get it to copy into Mapsource so I can compile with other maps was using GMAPTOOL with cgsmapper. Just followed the instructions filling in the GMAPTOOL (including the link to cgsmapper.exe) and ran it, then clicked on the install.bat and bingo, there it was in Mapsource :D

The instructions I followed were from: http://freakass.co.cc/2008/07/12/upload-unpack-gmapsupp-maps-from-gps-device-to-mapsource-without-cd/