Garmin Montana

As to the perception that quad-helix is superior to patch - are there any examples of side-by-side comparisons of quad-helix and patch units using the same chipset and similar (or, preferably, identical) firmware?

I think one of the issues is that, historically, quad-helix antennas have been paired with well-regarded chipsets (MTK 3318 for Colorado, SirfStarIII for many older units). Many of the recent patch-antenna units in people's memory have all been STM Cartesios, and honestly from my experience so far, it doesn't seem to be the hottest chipset out there. (They STILL can't get acceptable WAAS performance out of it...)

The GPSMAP 62 seems to me the first example of a Cartesio fed with a quad-helix.

Note: Some of the eTrexes may have been SirfStars fed with patches, however, keep in mind these were budget units and so other shortcuts might have been made in the design/implementation.

Here's a new video that does a nice job comparing several different units (including the Montana series) in various types of sunlight. It looks like Garmin really nailed the screen on the Montana. Even though it's tough to discern screen reflectiveness from a video, it looks pretty amazing.

Here's a new video that does a nice job comparing several different units (including the Montana series) in various types of sunlight. It looks like Garmin really nailed the screen on the Montana. Even though it's tough to discern screen reflectiveness from a video, it looks pretty amazing.

I wonder if that was the backlight turned up or not. The backlight is very bright, but as we all know it's a battery burner.

I wonder if that was the backlight turned up or not. The backlight is very bright, but as we all know it's a battery burner.

That's fine with me I carry rechargeable's anyhow

That's fine with me I carry rechargeable's anyhow

Yes, I agree. Extra batteries are a small price to pay for a bright screen in daylight conditions. I am looking forward to acquiring the Montana... after I go to REI and first check the screen readability in bright daylight.

Edited by Barrikady

"I wonder if that was the backlight turned up or not. The backlight is very bright, but as we all know it's a battery burner"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The filmmaker THINKS the backlight was on, BUT he also says, there is no difference in bright sun with either backlight on or off.

Also, the recflection in the film looks worse then it really is.

However I will disagree with the big screen in a small package.

Go look at iPhone 4 specs: 3.5" diagonal screen with 960*640 pixels; 2.31", 4.5", 0.37" - 4.8 ounces

Does the iPhone float or take pictures underwater?

While the Montana will have it's proponents -- for $700 plus the mount I can buy a Nuvi and a 62s and have a lot of pizza money left over! A LOT! Too rich for me, whatever the specs. Although a lot of people will buy it as a do-all type of GPS.

for $700 plus the mount I can buy a Nuvi and a 62s and have a lot of pizza money left over!

You can pick up the Montana 600 for less than $500 bucks, the 650 for $550. Just a few weeks ago the 650 was on sale at EMS for $450. Do the math over and you can carry one (Montana) for the price of two (62 + Nuvi). Someone else may have to buy the pizza though. :)

for $700 plus the mount I can buy a Nuvi and a 62s and have a lot of pizza money left over!

You can pick up the Montana 600 for less than $500 bucks, the 650 for $550. Just a few weeks ago the 650 was on sale at EMS for $450. Do the math over and you can carry one (Montana) for the price of two (62 + Nuvi). Someone else may have to buy the pizza though. :)

I got mine from EMS. $500.17 to my door in three days over the fourth of july weekend. My 62s was $428 from EMS.

Don't forget $65 for City Navigator NT (MSRP $80, but using the best price I could find at a quick glance on Google). And the speaker dock for the Montana - ~$50? Plenty of pizza there..

Don't forget $65 for City Navigator NT (MSRP $80, but using the best price I could find at a quick glance on Google). And the speaker dock for the Montana - ~$50? Plenty of pizza there..

True, the fact is you'll pay more for the Montana. Whether it's worth it is a judgement call. It is handy having an all-in-one do-it-all unit.

I looked at a Garmin Montana Saturday at my local REI. I had called ahead and planned to buy one when I went to the store. My first impressions caused me to decide to wait and think about it more.

The unit has really nice bright easy to read screen. I love it. The software appears to be very easy to learn. This would be an upgrade from my Garmin 550T. I can live with the price. But the size and weight of the unit is about to kill the deal for me. It won't fit in a shirt pocket which is how I like to carry my GPS or in my jeans pocket with anything stowed in there. It is very heavy compared to the 550's. In fact it would be a great weapon on the end of a cord in case of bear attack. Whack him up beside the head and call the game warden. The only real options to packing the 650T is either in your hand or in a carry bag.

I see this unit as being more for city parks and park & grabs than caches needing you to hike to them.

OK, I will probably let the nice screen and easy to use menu system tempt me into buying one but for now I am sitting on the fence about getting one. Maybe Delorme is bringing out a new one soon to compete.

Texas Charles

Hey Tex,

The Montana is big, however it grows on you. After owning a Montana, whenever I look at an oregon unit these days I have to do a double-take cause I think it's gotta be a Dakota. I'm totally amazed at how small the oregons are. Of course it's just my frame of reference. There have been reports of people using a carabiner setup for the Montana and they say it doesn't swing around any more than an Oregon.

Hey Tex,

The Montana is big, however it grows on you. After owning a Montana, whenever I look at an oregon unit these days I have to do a double-take cause I think it's gotta be a Dakota. I'm totally amazed at how small the oregons are. Of course it's just my frame of reference. There have been reports of people using a carabiner setup for the Montana and they say it doesn't swing around any more than an Oregon.

I will probably get a Montana since the screen is great but I have to try to not spend the money for it. Saying it is heavy is my excuse to pass it by for a while.

Texas Charles