Drool....

There goes £600!

I love the battery thing... how much do we spend a year on batteries? I reckon the savings on batteries will pay for the unit in a year or two... I tried using rechargables, but I have a tendency to lose them after a while, I think they end up with the odd socks!

Looks great, does everything... and I was looking at taking the plunge to a £500 device. What's another £100??

Is it supported by geocaching.com/Groundspeak? i can see one of their rivals listed and linked but don't see them. :ph34r:

?? It says it supports GPX files - that's all you need, and it doesn't really matter too much who or what produces them.

The listing site you saw on the Garmin page is owned and operated by Garmin - and if you missed last years forum shenanigans when said site was announced, it's no wonder they haven't listed any other sites :laughing: :laughing:

Edited by keehotee

Looks great, does everything... and I was looking at taking the plunge to a £500 device. What's another £100??

£100? About 20 sets of rechargables? LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It does look very nice, but as it doesn't offer much more than the orgeon, I wont be upgrading any time soon.....

£100? About 20 sets of rechargables? LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It does look very nice, but as it doesn't offer much more than the orgeon, I wont be upgrading any time soon.....

Yeah... Think I lose more than 10 sets a year though!

"The Ultimate in Touchscreen Toughness: Garmin® Montana™ Gives New Meaning to Rugged and Versatile"

http://goo.gl/iDHPK

On the face of it, it's not much more than an Oregon. For me, much will depend on:

1) if the GPSr itself is better than that in the Oregon, and

2) if the Custom Maps are less restrictive than on the Oregon.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

Is it supported by geocaching.com/Groundspeak? i can see one of their rivals listed and linked but don't see them. :ph34r:

?? It says it supports GPX files - that's all you need, and it doesn't really matter too much who or what produces them.

The listing site you saw on the Garmin page is owned and operated by Garmin - and if you missed last years forum shenanigans when said site was announced, it's no wonder they haven't listed any other sites :laughing: :laughing:

Oh thanks! Yes, that figures. I don't have the powers of concentration to keep up with most shenanigans and although I'd picked up there was some rivalry (though not serious competition) had not got that it was Garmin's operation! :laughing: They're still not getting another £600 out of me. :D

Edited by Fianccetto

Not quite £600. There will be 3 models: 

600 = £429.99, 

650 (+ 5MP camera) = £499.99 and 

650t (+camera, +European topo mapping at 100k scale) = £549.99

The thing that puts me off though is the weight. ~100g heavier than the Oregon with the Lithium Ion battery in, and ~130gms heavier with 3AA's. That's a fair bit.

I'm tempted though. I was thinking of upgrading our GPSr and car sat nav. This one will do both! :)

No support for Wherigo's though! :( Not that that's surprising!

600 = £429.99, 

The thing that puts me off though is the weight. ~100g heavier than the Oregon with the Lithium Ion battery in, and ~130gms heavier with 3AA's. That's a fair bit.

I'm tempted though. I was thinking of upgrading our GPSr and car sat nav. This one will do both! :)

It was £599.99 when I looked on garmin's uk site today. 2nd quarter 2011 release... So, June then?!

My first reaction was it's an Oregon XL, with a rechargeable camera-type battery and not mountable on my Oregon bike mount.

But the screenshots (on Garmin's website and BikeMagic) look different to the Oregon. Can't remember if they're the same as the new GPSMap62 or not.

So the software will be different to the Oregon's. Wonder if they've sorted the WAAP problem yet?

Seeing as the Oregon is still undergoing Beta software upgrades and doesn't yet deliver its original promise, I think I'll wait for 18 months or so to see how it performs and when the software stabilises before trading in my Oregon 400t.

Chris

600 = £429.99, 

It was £599.99 when I looked on garmin's uk site today. 2nd quarter 2011 release... So, June then?!

Handtec are flogging them on pre-order for £467.88, £539.88 & £587.88 respectively, all too pricey for me though.

£587.88 isn't exactly a huge discount on the RRP of £599.99 - £12.11 isn't going to get anyone excited at that level.

I like the look of it very much, but really struggle to justify spending that kind of cash on something that is ultimately still only going to help me find boxes in the forest.

600 = £429.99, 

Handtec are flogging them on pre-order for £467.88, £539.88 & £587.88 respectively, all too pricey for me though.

Don't think I can justify one for next month... Or even this year... But I do have a significant birthday in 370 days!!!!

I use five year old technology:

Bluetooth GPS with 13 hour run time, SIRF III chipset - £11 (Ebay, new)

Fujitsu Loox (lasts about 5-6 hours) with replacable Li batteries (I carry two) - £80 (Ebay, secondhand)

16 gb memory card - £20

Result: 640 by 480 touchscreen (about 2.5 times as much as the Montana), holds 20,000 caches (Montana does 2000) plus hints plus as many logs as I like plus as many OS maps as I like, runs memory map, runs Tomtom, has camera, wifi, plays music (and my steam train sound effects for when I'm biking down a disused railway, worth it for the looks I get as I chuff up behind a walker), waterproof if I put it inside my Aquapac (£12).

What the Montana has that I don't: Electronic compass. Altimeter. Sun and moon info. Tide tables. Hunt/fish calendar. I suppose the electronic compass would be useful if my magnetic compass failed.

I don't understand why the most recent gadget costs six times as much and does so much less. It's supposed to be the other way round. And I'm getting quite annoyed that, five years later, I can't buy sometrhing for half the price that's ten times as good, because that's how it works in the computer world.

Less is more!

If the magnetic compass fails, can't see the electronic one helping. North and south will reverse, but then we just follow the tail, not the arrow.

Let's face it... A £60 GPSr is all that is needed. Better GPSr's, smartphones, PDAs, even iPads... Are just toys... But I like toys! He who dies with the most toys wins!

As does the oregon. Been using ours as car sat navs for over 18 months. It lacks voice direction, but it routes on road and beeps when a direction change comes up and you get nice clear instructions and diagram on screen.

Personally I'd use the difference in money to get an oregon plus discoverer maps....