Cache Plunderers

SceneryGuy

I don’t believe a geocacher named ButtPirateis a friend of geocaching. He has one log and he seems to have stolen my TBwhich is part of a multi-cache.

His occupation is listed as “Plundering Caches”.

It looks like he stumbled upon a cache by accident and then signed up, but I have seen similar recurring cases in the Forums. I know this is going to become a bigger and bigger problem as geocaching becomes more popular, but are there any measures in place for yanking registrations?

I know that you can search for caches without being registered, but are there any ideas on what can be done about Anti-Geocachers?

"I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous!"

We had a caver group come out against a local cache. The threatened to steal the cache and the owner of the cache eventually archived the cache. The cache owner did try to work things out wtih them but it was to no avail.

A virtual cache was created in that locaiton and I'm sure if the caver group continues to be uncooperative they will find more and more caches that they have less and less control over placed in areas they seem to claim exclusive rights too.

Nobody can stop anyone from stealing a cache and while traditional is more fun than virtual. You can only vandalize a virtual. You can't steal it.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

If I think there may be a problem, I'll make a cache members only. If it is plundered, you can use the audit section to see who has viewed the page and when. It might give you an idea of who the problem maker is.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

We recently had a bout of plundering in this area, which made one of our leading cache placers turn most of his caches into 'Members Only'...

But since I've never made my cache (OK so I've only hidden 1 so far) a MOC, I had a question about the 'Audit' function.....

When a member gets the cache listing as part of a Pocket Query, does that show up?

----------------------------------

MnGCA-button.gif

----------------------------------

"The number you have reached is imaginary, please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try again... <beeeeep>"

quote:
Originally posted by sbukosky:

If I think there may be a problem, I'll make a cache members only. If it is plundered, you can use the audit section to see who has viewed the page and when. It might give you an idea of who the problem maker is.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

And it might not. This is why I'm against the whole "let me see who's on my cache's watch list" idea. All this does is allow angry people to point an accusing finger, without any real evidence.

If someone gets member-only cache information via a mailed GPX file, does it show up in the log? Does it show up in the log if someone happens to accidently find a cache?

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

And it might not. This is why I'm against the whole "let me see who's on my cache's watch list" idea. All this does is allow angry people to point an accusing finger, without any _real_ evidence.

If someone gets member-only cache information via a mailed GPX file, does it show up in the log? Does it show up in the log if someone happens to accidently find a cache?

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/3608_2800.gif

_"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."_

Prime, so far as I know you can't see who's watching your cache. The Audit log lets you see who's looked at your cache page and that number is usually far greater than how many people watch the cache.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Prime, so far as I know you can't see who's watching your cache. The Audit log lets you see who's looked at your cache page and that number is usually far greater than how many people watch the cache.

I know you currently can't (which is why I referred to it as an "idea"). But it's probably the single most requested feature.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."