Hello and welcome!

Yes, it's totally addictive but ENORMOUS FUN!!! :D

I don't think you're addicted yet though - because you're still patiently waiting for the GPS delivery. You could check on google earth for an easy cache that you could find without the GPS.... and that would be the first sign of addiction kicking in :laughing:

Oh my word...youll get totally addicted after ur fist find! Nothing better than getting out of the house and going for a lovely walk either alone or with the family (i prefere alone....family slow me down :P) And then starting to think like a cacher and finding that first one without the full use of ur gps.....Id say im still an addict but dont own a gps....the use of C:geo is just as good i think on my android :)

What mobile phone do u have?? Blackberry, android or Iphone??? if soo download the trails and get out TODAY :)

Let us no how u get on with ur first cache :) xxx

Yes..you will start out with your phone, then try to get a better signal and get a BT GPS, then realize a proper GPSr will be better..get one of these, then.....

But it's a great way of exploring the countryside, in the last couple of months I've seen loads of areas close by that I never knew about, even though I've lived here 40+ years :)

I've had a lot of different hobbies over the years. The fun and addiction is always the same for each.

This hobby?

It's much much cheaper!!!!!!!!

I don't have to drive for hours (unless I want to), no extra equipment needed (unless you want to), no admission fees, no hours of operation, not competitive (not with us), personal goals only, no special outfits - just you, your buddies, loved ones, an hour or a full day and LIFE IS GOOD!!

Welcome!

Following is a Geocaching Addiction Test

Do you have an addiction to geocaching? Only you can answer that question.

Take the following quiz to help put your geocaching in perspective. If you end up answering "yes" to three or more questions, you may want to take a good look how your life is affected by geocaching.

1. Have you missed school, college or work because of geocaching?

2. Along those same lines, have you ever taken an entire afternoon for your lunch break because of geocaching?

3. Do you have trouble going anywhere without first checking to see if there is a geocache in that area you have not yet found?

4. Does the sport of geocaching come up in almost all conversations you have?

5. Do you consider the number of geocaches you have found to be guiding your self-confidence?

6. Do you use geocaching to help you relax?

7. Have you left home without something you are supposed to bring but never without your Geocaching bag?

8. Do you log in to Geocaching.com as soon as you wake up to see if there is a new cache in your area (OK, then how about just before you go to bed)?

9. Do you get lost driving the car, then recognise where you are by a cache location?

10. Do you shop in your local pound shop to get more "log books"?

11. Do you lie to others about how often you geocache?

12. Has anyone asked you to "Sit down, we need to talk" about your geocaching?

13. Does it take you 4 hours to drive an hour away?

14. Do you dream about caching?

15. Do you recharge your AA batteries every night?

16. Are your pockets full of swag, pencils, spare batteries?

17. Do you care if you answered yes to all 17 questions?

Show the world how strong you are. You can stop Geocaching anytime you want. Right?

Really you can...

can i ask a simple question what is wrong with trainspotting is is quite easy to combine caching and trainspotting as well as caching and visiting hostilleries pubs now what is wrong with that so long as you walk and get fit :D:D:grin:

Oh my word...youll get totally addicted after ur fist find! Nothing better than getting out of the house and going for a lovely walk either alone or with the family (i prefere alone....family slow me down :P) And then starting to think like a cacher and finding that first one without the full use of ur gps.....Id say im still an addict but dont own a gps....the use of C:geo is just as good i think on my android :)

What mobile phone do u have?? Blackberry, android or Iphone??? if soo download the trails and get out TODAY :)

Let us no how u get on with ur first cache :) xxx

Blackberry - but unfortunately a non-GPS version. Although I may still try the 30 day-trial with cachesense on the Blackberry. Not the neatest solution but I may download gpx files (once I upgrade to premium membership)into easygps and then send waypoints to Garmin Etrex H and upload the gpx file onto the blackberry.

I'm trying to keep costs down and save paper, especially when out and about.

Like to hear anyones views on cachesense or other geocaching apps for BB !

ps Thanks for all the posts of encouragement and to hear that there's some great benefits to the addiction. I'm learning a new language already - looking forward to getting started.

Edited by look4box

First of all : "Hello, and welcome".

Second : I've used Cachesense for a few years and I find it great. Originally I too had a non GPS BB, and just used Cachesense (or Cacheberry as it was then called) for paperless, keeping the cache details etc. Since I got a GPS enabled BB I still use an Etrex for the navigation most of the time, but I occasionally use the Cachesense compas function. I think Cachesense is well worth the modest registration fee, but I can't comment on an of the other BB apps as I've never felt the need to look for anything else.

M:

First of all : "Hello, and welcome".

Second : I've used Cachesense for a few years and I find it great. Originally I too had a non GPS BB, and just used Cachesense (or Cacheberry as it was then called) for paperless, keeping the cache details etc. Since I got a GPS enabled BB I still use an Etrex for the navigation most of the time, but I occasionally use the Cachesense compas function. I think Cachesense is well worth the modest registration fee, but I can't comment on an of the other BB apps as I've never felt the need to look for anything else.

M:

Cheers M

I'll give it a go next week !