An itchy rash

I came back from caching about a week ago, and on the drive back, I was feeling very itchy. When I got home, I looked in the mirror, and I had a big red rash. Very heavy on the left of my neck, fairly heavy on the right neck, also on the upper inner right arm, and on the place on my chest that the upper inner right arm touches. It's a rash of small red spots on the skin; also my whole right arm was "gooseflesh". My left arm was almost spot-free.

It was *very* itchy. I went to a chemist and got some anti-allergy pills (which I don't think helped) and a tube of anti-allergy cream (which did make it less itchy). For a couple of days, I went topless (in the privacy of my home), because I couldn't bear anything touching my neck.

I'm feeling a lot better now; the itchiness has died down, but I've still got the rash, and I'm going out caching tomorrow.

Question. Has anyone else had anything like this? And I have no idea what caused it (I do know it wasn't nettles), has anyone got any ideas? Because I'd very much like to avoid it in future. I didn't notice any Giant Hogweed, and that's not something you wouldn't notice, so I don't think it was that.

Pollen? But then why would it only affect very specific places as described above? So I'm baffled.

Any ideas?

I read that there's a plague of brown tail moth caterpillars at the moment which can give a severe skin rash. One report I read said that anyone who inhales or comes into contact with the tiny bristles can develop severe breathing problems, headaches, rashes and even conjunctivitis. Perhaps you've been in contact with one of these caterpillars?

If it was heat rash then I think I should have it, it was 30 degrees C and 85% humidity at the weekend where I am working right now (China) I managed 1 Earthcache (GC205H5)before heading for somewhere with aircon. I have at times ended up with a rash after hunting around in undergrowth but never managed to pin it down to a specific plant.

Could it have been poison ivy. I know it is found mostly in the States, but reading through Wiki about ivy it seems that normal ivy can also cause an allergic reaction (contact dermatitis).

If I'm allergic to normal ivy, I'd have to give up caching!

I don't think it was heat rash, and it affected several square inches of skin that was covered by t-shirt, so it couldn't just simply be contact.

It rained last night, I'm hoping that's cleaned the air a bit, and my trip out today won't give me a repeat attack.

I get a bad allergic reaction to lichen. I found this out years ago when doing some genealogical research and rubbing my hands over lichen covered gravestones trying to read them! It was really bad. Last 'attack' was a few weeks ago, sitting at a wooden picnic table outside our office which had various species of lichen on it. I never gave it a thought until.... the redness and itching started. Trouble is, you get it on your hands then without thinking spread it all over yourself. With me it's like very bad sunburn which itches! When it happens I take anti-histamine pills which calm things down. It generally lasts about 3 to 4 days.

From a caching point of view you get lichen on old trees, fence posts and stones... pretty much where people hide caches :o

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Edited by Graculus

Sounds like the reaction I get to Ivy.

There's not much you can do apart from wait as the itchiness is caused by oils soaking into your skin. Antihistamines don't really help.

Avoidance is the only option. :sad:

I came back from caching about a week ago, and on the drive back, I was feeling very itchy. When I got home, I looked in the mirror, and I had a big red rash. Very heavy on the left of my neck, fairly heavy on the right neck, also on the upper inner right arm, and on the place on my chest that the upper inner right arm touches. It's a rash of small red spots on the skin; also my whole right arm was "gooseflesh". My left arm was almost spot-free.

It was *very* itchy. I went to a chemist and got some anti-allergy pills (which I don't think helped) and a tube of anti-allergy cream (which did make it less itchy). For a couple of days, I went topless (in the privacy of my home), because I couldn't bear anything touching my neck.

I'm feeling a lot better now; the itchiness has died down, but I've still got the rash, and I'm going out caching tomorrow.

Question. Has anyone else had anything like this? And I have no idea what caused it (I do know it wasn't nettles), has anyone got any ideas? Because I'd very much like to avoid it in future. I didn't notice any Giant Hogweed, and that's not something you wouldn't notice, so I don't think it was that.

Pollen? But then why would it only affect very specific places as described above? So I'm baffled.

Any ideas?

Rashes are very common. We've had them with viruses, reactions to food, clothes, plants, insect bites, washing powders.

We've not had any reaction quite that bad or fast, but our experiences might help a little. I was caching a few weeks ago and despite trying hard not to, ended up walking alongside a crop or oilseed rape. I kept away from it as much as I could and it only gently brushed my leg occasionally. That gave me a rash on the exposed areas of skin beside/ near the plants(sides of legs, arms & neck - I think I rubbed my neck.) Looking at your geocaching, I see you did a round by some fields - did any have crops with bright yellow flowers?

My daughter has had a more lasting and itchier recurring rash around her neck, armpits, backs of knees & elbows. This is caused by an intolerance to most washing powders and sometimes fleecy or woolly fabrics worn against the skin. It can take many washes to stop a reaction if, say a school shirt is washed in the wrong washing powder, or if softener is used. It takes longer for the rash to finally calm down. Because of this it took a really long time to work out what was causing it, whether it was related to certain foods, heat, or anything else. Since it started when she was a baby it was relatively easy to eliminate various foods and activities and find out what it was. The usual aqueous solutions prescribed didn't help. We found keeping the rash out of the sun, but when indoors to let the air circulate around it helped best. (Needless to say, I carefully stick to known brands and rarely use softeners. Even so, new clothes can occasionally still cause a rash).

The rash is not necessarily related to your caching trip, and if I were you I would want to know the cause. It's possible even as an adult to suddenly develop an allergy to, say, eggs or some other food and come out in a rash some hours later (and the rash could develop in the warmer areas of your body.)

Although very rare, it is also possible with a reaction like this, to have a more serious reaction (even anaphylaxis) the next time you're in contact with the allergen. I am not trying to be alarmist, just that I know a few people this has happened to. Just let people know where you're going, and when to expect you back. Even better, go with others, for the next few trips, especially if a long way from a road.

You can get tested for some allergies. You have a patch of various common allergens put on your skin along your arm, wait for some time, and then it's washed off.

It might have been a worm, perhaps you need some anti-virus cream :rolleyes:

I often get a red itchy rash on my legs. I always thought it was a nettle rash, although I never felt any stinging. It still appeared even when avoiding nettles. I mentioned it to my doctor, who said it was caused by my walking boots. Up to me knees!!!!!!

I trundled round Eastbourne yesterday, had a great time, didn't avoid anything except nettles, no further problems! So, maybe it was just a one-off and I'll never find out what caused it?

Ladysolly and I had something a bit similar a couple of decades ago - we both broke out in a big rash at the same time (all over, unlike this time), and we never did find out the cause, even though at that time, we went to a doctor. We thought it was some infectious thing, on account of being both at the same time, but I don't know.

I trundled round Eastbourne yesterday, had a great time, didn't avoid anything except nettles, no further problems! So, maybe it was just a one-off and I'll never find out what caused it?

Ladysolly and I had something a bit similar a couple of decades ago - we both broke out in a big rash at the same time (all over, unlike this time), and we never did find out the cause, even though at that time, we went to a doctor. We thought it was some infectious thing, on account of being both at the same time, but I don't know.

I've been giving this some thought and I think I have the answer. The woman you had the slug conversation with was actually a witch......

I've been giving this some thought and I think I have the answer. The woman you had the slug conversation with was actually a witch......

yeah...Maybe she thought you were actually lying and cast a spell on you to itch in all those places until you went out caching again! You were lucky she didn't think you were stealing something!

Glad to hear it. Hopefully that will be the last of it, then.

... and now I've got bad toothache, and all the dentists are closed for the weekend, including the 24/7 one in my area. So I'm on antibiotics now and paracetamol for the pain (which is all my dentist would have done at this stage anyway) and in for a visit on Monday.

Ah, the hazards of caching.

Still, I had a great day yesterday; 50 caches including one rather good multi that I DNFed 3 years ago, and had another go at, and found after a *long* search, which is especially satisfying.

... and now I've got bad toothache, and all the dentists are closed for the weekend, including the 24/7 one in my area. So I'm on antibiotics now and paracetamol for the pain (which is all my dentist would have done at this stage anyway) and in for a visit on Monday.

Ah, the hazards of caching.

Still, I had a great day yesterday; 50 caches including one rather good multi that I DNFed 3 years ago, and had another go at, and found after a *long* search, which is especially satisfying.

Fifty! :surprise: Can't imagine doing that many in one day. Not while I have to make school runs, anyway.

... and now I've got bad toothache,

Told you. Witch.

"Well, she turned me into a newt!"....."A newt?"..... "I Got Better."

Sorry, I had to do it. You had to see that coming. Time to get some sleep now. :laughing:

Gonna sound strange buuuttttt: have you had chicken pox previously (and even so, not impossible to get it again)? Only ask as there appears to be a wave of it exploring the country...

Yes, I've had chicken pox when I was a kid.

The toothache was cleared up after one day of antibiotics!

These rashes are a pain in the hootus!!

Ever since we started geocaching 2 months ago, I've had these small hives pop up and in various places. I've been racking my brain trying to find our what it could be. Went to the doc a month ago because of an area on my legs that was over-scratched unknowingly. It got big and ugly. Got cream for it and that particular spot is gone but I still get single hives here& there. Applying more of the same cream to other areas that have enlarged. Not sure if it's poison ivy - never had it before. Or some allergic reaction to the bug spray (deet) we've been using a lot of. This is frustrating as I've tried thinking of everything and coming up empty.

I have a dic appt July 5th (standard physical). I'll be sure to mention it!!!

Guess I need to avoid wooded areas and bugspray for a while to see if I don't get anymore.

Edited by Lieblweb

Got another common itchy rash to add to the list: pityriasis rosea. Seems to be going around in our area at the mo (even though it isn't infectious). Itchy, lasts for months on end and makes you feel nauseous. The rash only covers the trunk area and so isn't usually visible. Usual age range is teen - mid thirties.

Unless you ate something you are allergic to it was very likely a plant. This is how it happens - You walk through an area, some angry plant leaves its oil on your pant legs. Later you tighten your shoe laces, then scratch your neck or simply reposition the straps on your backpack. It's all transfer.

Best prevention. Long pants, long sleeves (even in summer). Properly tie your shoes and pull up your hiking socks before heading down the trail. (Yeah it seems silly, but I'm not the one with a rash). Carry a hiking stick to push tall weeds out of the way. Use hand-sanitizer that can break down the oil.

If you do walk through nettles or itch-weed and feel the sting, wash with soap and water as soon as possible.

Just to add our itchy Rash story - Lady Grizzly had a few insect bites while caching this holiday (currently on the last day of a Canadian caching adventure) which bloomed into a hot itchy rash, knowing that she is sensitive to stings and bites we visited a walk in clinic in Kingston Ontario.

The cure was a being told that it would be 150 CAD to register, 500 CAD to see the doctore plus the cost of whatever he would prescribe, crdit cards accepted. The bites did not seem so bad as we made our excuses and vistited a friendly pharmacist for free.

Yes, but that's all in foreign countries. In England, all we have is stinging nettles and the occasional wasp. No wolves or bears, no poisonous spiders or snakes.

I had the rash in two places. 1) on my neck, and the theory about rubbing the neck would be possible, and 2) on my inner upper arm, and the place on my side adjacent to that, and I don't think I'd have touched that.

It remains a mystery; it hasn't happened again, and I hope it never does!

Yes, but that's all in foreign countries. In England, all we have is stinging nettles and the occasional wasp. No wolves or bears, no poisonous spiders or snakes.

Adders! :rolleyes:

Indeed... Few of them encountered over the years. Don't think they like it up north though... Or with my current luck one would have been waiting at the bottom of my scree surf.

I had a mini rash this weekend from the Ledsham and Fairburn series i did....The only thing that i can remember that could be the cause was at one stage of searching a GZ i came across a green bush that had wat looked like some sort of yellow powder over the leaves....a pollen looking substance.....maybe ur rash could have been from something along those lines...something that had been left by animals on the leaves of a tree or the grass!

Just a suggestion.....was nothing serious as it went after about 10 minutes.....However the time i put my arm straight into nettles well that was red and itchy and lasted most of the day from the ammount of times that id been stung in the same part of the arm :huh: