Notifications

I seem to be unable to be notified of new caches on both my Desk Top PC at home which has one e-mail address, and at the same time on my IPhone which has another e-mail address. On notifications I have my PC as my Primary email and phone as the 'add another' email, but do not appear to get the notifications on it, it has been validated. Can anyone advise what it is that I am doing wrong? Thanks.

I seem to be unable to be notified of new caches on both my Desk Top PC at home which has one e-mail address, and at the same time on my IPhone which has another e-mail address. On notifications I have my PC as my Primary email and phone as the 'add another' email, but do not appear to get the notifications on it, it has been validated. Can anyone advise what it is that I am doing wrong? Thanks.

Hi

I assume you have set the notifications up?

If not look down the RHS of your profile/ home page and set one up, you will need to set one up for all the different types of caches you want notifications on.

If this is not the case i assume none have been published in the radius set.

I have noticed from time to time that the service can be patchy but it normally gets going again.

Oh and check they are not being junked by your email setup.

Hope this helps

Probably basics but have you checked:

Your spam filters?

Have any new caches been published in your chosen area, weekends can be quiet if the Magicmap site is down as the reviewers use it to check locations?

You do need a seperate notification for each cache type, so maybe caches that are new in your area are not the type that you have a notification set up for?

If I read it correctly, you are trying to have the notification delivered to two different email addresses at the same time - not that you are not receiving them at all.

This can't be done as far as I am aware.

Yes you can put two (or more I think) email addresses into the system.

One is set as Primary and will be the main one used for weekly newsletters and emails about things happening to caches on your watch list etc.

The other email address is put in the system and is then available for you to select when setting up a notification (of new caches etc).

For each notification type you can select a different email address.

But here's the catch, for each notification you can only select ONE email address. Just because you have a 2nd email address in the system does not mean that it automatically goes to both addresses.

Therefore you won't get the notification on 2 addresses on your two devices.

Ways round this:

1. Set up your email address from the PC on your iPhone so you are checking the same email account on both devices. This should be possible if the email address is a POP3 account or something like a gmail account.

When setting it up on the phone look for an option to 'leave a copy of the message on the server' - that way any emails picked up on the phone will still be available when you log on using your PC. In other words, the PC will be the device that removes the message from the server.

This is how I have mine set up. I set up a new email address on Gmail which I only use for new cache publication emails. My netbook and phone are then both set to receive email from this account. It is the only email account which is automatically checked by the phone when I am out. Therefore if I get an email it must be a new cache notification and I am not distracted by receiving work and other emails when I am out having fun.

2. If possible, set up email forwarding on the account you use to get the notifications then have the notification email automatically forwarded to your iPhone account based on the subject line or some other criteria that will correctly identify the email as being a notification from GS.

Hope that helps

Lovejoy

I assume you would also be able to add a second notification for each cache type, on the 1st set select your home address for them all then on the 2nd set select the mobile address.

Yep that's a third option.

I didn't include it above as it could get very messy.

I already have 2 notifications for each cache type, one covering enable, disable, change coords etc - those only go to my computer email address as I don't want those while I am out. They just make sure I can keep GSAK up to date with any really local stuff.

Then I have another for each cache type which just covers 'Published' and they go to the account which sends to the computer and phone email account.

I suppose a third set wouldn't hurt so that the 'Published' notifications also go to both emails. It's perfectly possible.

Edited by Lovejoy and Tinker

Thanks for that, I have now set up one set of notifications for the PC using one e-mail address and another set for the phone using a gmail e-mail account. So now patiently waiting for someone to put out a new cache somewhere within 20 miles of our location to see if it works! Fingers crossed and thanks for your advice and comments. I'm not really sure now of the benefit of adding a second e-mail address if it does not send to both at the same time. Oh well never been a techie! Thanks again. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Thanks for that, I have now set up one set of notifications for the PC using one e-mail address and another set for the phone using a gmail e-mail account. So now patiently waiting for someone to put out a new cache somewhere within 20 miles of our location to see if it works! Fingers crossed and thanks for your advice and comments. I'm not really sure now of the benefit of adding a second e-mail address if it does not send to both at the same time. Oh well never been a techie! Thanks again. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Well done.

I can picture you sat by a silent phone drumming your fingers on the table....waiting.... :laughing:

You have to have both the email addresses added into the system so you get the option of which one to send to when you create the notification.

I'm not really sure now of the benefit of adding a second e-mail address if it does not send to both at the same time.

The point is the verification process of each email address. It makes sure that whatever email address people use as destination for their notifications and PQs actually exists and is able to receive emails. Email bounces and emails stuck in the queue are the worst nightmares of an email system admin.