Washington State Parks

crouchcrew

WSGA also helped Iron Horse SP by buying $1500 worth of Discover day passes for the Going APE event.
On top of that, you can assume that there's several folks like me, for whom the Going APE event was the impetus to purchase an annual pass.

Public reception will help decide whether the Discover Pass survives or if lawmakers give up on it as they did an unpopular $5-a-day parking fee they repealed in 2006 after three years of disappointing park attendance. They replaced it with a $5 opt-out donation to parks for drivers renewing license tabs, which is still in place and raised more money than expected, $2.3 million...
They seriously expected a $10 daily pass during a recession to do better than a $5 pass did in 2006? I know back then, I explored a lot more local parks when I cached. In the few months between when the Discover Pass became required and the APE event, I stayed out again.

Edit: see also this forum topic from 2006: Washington State Parks $5.00 Parking Fee Repealed

Edited by travisl

There are two kinds of park users, the frequent visitors and those, like me, that only visit a few times a year. The state doesn’t seem to realize that. Those of us that only occasionally use the parks find it very easy to forgo the fee by forgoing the parks. Like Travis says, that’s what happened last time.

True, the parks don’t have funding (now) but the outcome may not be closure. If they stop maintaining them, meh, so what. It’ll only add some adventure to a lot of otherwise forgettable caches.

There are two kinds of park users, the frequent visitors and those, like me, that only visit a few times a year. The state doesn’t seem to realize that. Those of us that only occasionally use the parks find it very easy to forgo the fee by forgoing the parks. Like Travis says, that’s what happened last time.

True, the parks don’t have funding (now) but the outcome may not be closure. If they stop maintaining them, meh, so what. It’ll only add some adventure to a lot of otherwise forgettable caches.

Pretty much my case. If they had a kiosk in the park for a $5 day parking pass I would still use them the maybe twice a year I have in the past. With the non-transferable annual pass, well, it is just makes more sense to cross the state parks off the list of places to go. I've also decided to opt out on the license renewal fee, in the past I opted in.

It looks like the Discovery Pass will now be "transferable" in 2012

I 'did' buy a pass and have used it 5 times thus far, so at least it's been used more than the per-day fees would be, but I have to admit using it on multiple cars. Somehow I sleep well at night :-)

I'd like to see them change the $5 opt-out (grrrrrr) license plate renewal fee for the parks to a higher opt-in fee that would get me a state parks license plate which also gave me the equivalent of the Discovery Pass. I see the existing plates are $40/year. Raise the price 'and' have that plate mean it's ok to park and I'd go for that for sure.

Edited by vds

It looks like the Discovery Pass will now be "transferable" in 2012

I'd like to see them change the $5 opt-out (grrrrrr) license plate renewal fee for the parks to a higher opt-in fee that would get me a state parks license plate which also gave me the equivalent of the Discovery Pass. I see the existing plates are $40/year. Raise the price 'and' have that plate mean it's ok to park and I'd go for that for sure.

Great suggestion, I'd go for that too!

I purchased a pass but find it strange that the pass is only good for one vehicle license #. My wife has a car and I do (as many folks know it well), it just seems underhanded that I have to choose just one car to go with my pass. Also, the person who printed the discovery pass obviously can't spell.

I see a few folks in past posts mentioned this "vehicle" vs user issue. Anyone ever been hit with a fee for having an active pass but the wrong license plate assigned?

Edited by lamoracke

I purchased a pass but find it strange that the pass is only good for one vehicle license #. My wife has a car and I do (as many folks know it well), it just seems underhanded that I have to choose just one car to go with my pass. Also, the person who printed the discovery pass obviously can't spell.

I see a few folks in past posts mentioned this "vehicle" vs user issue. Anyone ever been hit with a fee for having an active pass but the wrong license plate assigned?

I haven't put my License plate number on my pass and have never had any trouble, though I do know one person that got a warning because they didn't have their plate number on their pass. That being said I'm not paying for your ticket if you choose to follow my example.

I haven't put my License plate number on my pass and have never had any trouble, though I do know one person that got a warning because they didn't have their plate number on their pass. That being said I'm not paying for your ticket if you choose to follow my example.

I didn't have my license number on mine, but a ranger noticed and made me put it on the permit. That was at Hyak when I was up there planning the APE event in August.

Some info re passes and snow sports:

------

This will be the first winter season in which the new Discover Pass is in

effect for recreation on state lands. Because of the way the pass is structured,

there will be some initial confusion on permits and passes. State parks reps

recently met with Mountaineers leaders to clarify the rules, so I thought I

would pass this information along to the ESAR membership.

If you have a current seasonal Sno-Park permit, you will not need to purchase a Discover Pass to use a

designated Sno-Park between Nov. 1 and March 31 for winter recreation activities. However,

your Sno-Park permit may not be used to access other state recreation lands.

However, if using a *daily* Sno-Park permit, you also will need either a one-day

Discover Pass or an annual Discover Pass when visiting Crystal Springs, Easton Reload and Hyak

Sno-Parks, Fields Spring, Lake Easton, Lake Wenatchee and Mount Spokane state parks and DNR's

Mt. Tahoma Trail System.

In addition, a special Groomed Trails Permit, in conjunction with the seasonal Sno-Park permit,

is required at eight Sno-Parks: Cabin Creek, Chiwawa, Crystal Springs, Hyak, Lake Easton, Lake

Wenatchee, Mount Spokane and Nason Ridge.

Confusing? Yes! More info at: http://www.parks.wa.gov/winter/nonmotorparks/

Erik Swanson

Seattle Branch Snowshoe Co-chair

The Mountaineers

If you have a current seasonal Sno-Park permit, you will not need to purchase a Discover Pass to use a

designated Sno-Park between Nov. 1 and March 31 for winter recreation activities. However,

your Sno-Park permit may not be used to access other state recreation lands.

Thanks for sharing the intel (my, you've been busy in the forums today!).

This begs the question - if you have an annual Discover Pass, do you need a Sno-Park permit too? Sheesh, this is so confusing.

Thanks for sharing the intel (my, you've been busy in the forums today!).

Yep lol.

This begs the question - if you have an annual Discover Pass, do you need a Sno-Park permit too? Sheesh, this is so confusing.

Good question; their response only addresses daily but not annual sno park passes... They really need to clear this whole thing up. Let's not forget that Hanson is now charging too. Blah

However, if using a *daily* Sno-Park permit, you also will need either a one-day

Discover Pass or an annual Discover Pass when visiting Crystal Springs, Easton Reload and Hyak

Sno-Parks, Fields Spring, Lake Easton, Lake Wenatchee and Mount Spokane state parks and DNR's

Mt. Tahoma Trail System.

Mt. Tahoma Trail System.

This is BS. (Not as in untrue; as in, well, BS.) It makes sense only to a bureaucrat intent on charging families twice to access public land. mad.gif

And no, of course, a Discover Pass is not enough to park at a Sno-Park; you need both (unless you have the seasonal Sno-Park pass).

As a cacher who visits Washington State several times a year, I find the whole Discovery Pass idea an insult. I make a choice where I take my geoholidays, so you would think TPTB would want me to spend my tourist bucks in their State. As a frequent tourist, I will continue to boycott the Discovery Pass until it disappears (which it may, as previous State Park fees have in the past.)

Thankfully, I got the Washington Delorme Challenge done before the Pass would shut me out of several pages.

Senate Passes Discover Pass Transferability Bill. Link Here

Awesome! I especially like this part: "Requires state land agencies to find consistent recreational policies where inconsistencies exist and to report back to the legislature by December 31, 2012 on plans and progress"

yes, there are still too many passes and holes in the whole system, but the fact that the pass can be used for 2 vehicles in a family (or I imagine 2 friends who want to commit to the other's pass) is a good thing. Would be nice to have one copy for each car though as a small convenience.

As a cacher who visits Washington State several times a year, I find the whole Discovery Pass idea an insult. I make a choice where I take my geoholidays, so you would think TPTB would want me to spend my tourist bucks in their State. As a frequent tourist, I will continue to boycott the Discovery Pass until it disappears (which it may, as previous State Park fees have in the past.)

Thankfully, I got the Washington Delorme Challenge done before the Pass would shut me out of several pages.

So, how would YOU fund our state parks? Their budget has been drastically cut, they did a large layoff a couple months ago, they are considering closing some parks. Yet you don't want to fund them via taxes or fees....should we just close them all and say the heck with it?

Edited by hydnsek

Well I've got bad news for you-I'm seeing the discovery pass beig required more and more. In all kinds of new areas.

It's a cheap fee for a year long parking pass. They can add it everywhere as far as I'm concerned...

Looking at the bigger picture: the parks need to be funded and that money ultimately comes from us.

Either from taxes or fees (or both). I don't like paying the fees anymore than anyone else but I think it also seems right to focus the cost on the users (fees). I also see the parks as something that is for all of us and should be paid for by all of us (taxes).

Looking at the bigger picture: the parks need to be funded and that money ultimately comes from us.

Either from taxes or fees (or both). I don't like paying the fees anymore than anyone else but I think it also seems right to focus the cost on the users (fees). I also see the parks as something that is for all of us and should be paid for by all of us (taxes).

+1. Well said, more what I was thinking after I blew off the steam. :laughing:

The first news article I read on this bill going for the Governor's signature said there would also be a pass for $50 that you could use for all of your vehicles. Not just limited to two.

Has anyone else heard anything about that? Did that get dropped, or is that still in the mix?

I will probably buy the pass now that I can use it on two of my vehicles. But it still makes me mad I have to restrict what I drive. I have three vehicles and have good reason to need different ones at different times. I would pay the $50 if I could cover all three. (I shouldn't have to, but with this state it would be the best I could hope for.)

I found this while doing a search on this subject.

"HB 2373, would also allow families to buy a Discover Pass transferrable among any family vehicle for $50, and would exempt disabled veterans from having to buy the pass."

The article I was reading on it also mentions a new $10 tax on all RVs. What the heck is that! :blink: I have to pay to take my motorhome to the parks, I have to pay to camp, and for any other use I make of the RV at the parks. And they want me to pay $10 more than the taxpayer that doesn't have a motorhome. :mad:

If it is OK for some reason to Tax RVs for the park, how about a $10. tax on any licenced vehicle that can access the park. Better yet a $10. tax on everyone in the state. Lets be fair about it. <_< <_< <_<

I found this while doing a search on this subject.

"HB 2373, would also allow families to buy a Discover Pass transferrable among any family vehicle for $50, and would exempt disabled veterans from having to buy the pass."

The article I was reading on it also mentions a new $10 tax on all RVs. What the heck is that! :blink: I have to pay to take my motorhome to the parks, I have to pay to camp, and for any other use I make of the RV at the parks. And they want me to pay $10 more than the taxpayer that doesn't have a motorhome. :mad:

If it is OK for some reason to Tax RVs for the park, how about a $10. tax on any licenced vehicle that can access the park. Better yet a $10. tax on everyone in the state. Lets be fair about it. <_< <_< <_<

I'm not so sure I'd agree with your idea of what fair is. Also, the language regarding the $10 RV fee (not tax) was stuck before the final bill was passed.

I'm not so sure I'd agree with your idea of what fair is. Also, the language regarding the $10 RV fee (not tax) was stuck before the final bill was passed.

So you feel it is fair to charge all RV owners an extra $10 tax. (not a fee, a fee is something you pay for a service. Like a fee to get into the parks. This is for all RVs, whether they use the parks or not.) I know a lot of RV owners who never take their rig to a state park. Why should they have to pay? Fair is charging everyone who uses the parks. If you charge some sort of tax on those that don't use the parks, it should be on eveyone who doesn't use the parks.

By the way, did you mean to say this was "stuck" or "Struck" before the final bill? I do hope cooler heads prevailed on this.

So you feel it is fair to charge all RV owners an extra $10 tax. (not a fee, a fee is something you pay for a service. Like a fee to get into the parks. This is for all RVs, whether they use the parks or not.) I know a lot of RV owners who never take their rig to a state park. Why should they have to pay? Fair is charging everyone who uses the parks. If you charge some sort of tax on those that don't use the parks, it should be on eveyone who doesn't use the parks.

By the way, did you mean to say this was "stuck" or "Struck" before the final bill? I do hope cooler heads prevailed on this.

I don't see it in the bill that passed: Bill

This is interesting, I wonder if they will choose to offer the family pass:

A discover pass is valid only for those vehicle license plate numbers written on the pass. However, the agencies may offer for sale a family discover pass that is fully transferable among vehicles and does not require the placement of a license plate number on the pass to be valid. The agencies must collectively set a price for the sale of a family discover pass that is no more than fifty dollars. A discover pass is valid only for use with one motor vehicle at any one time.

[edit to remove extra word]

Edited by _Shaddow_

Yes, I meant to say struck, not stuck. I think the fee was misguided at best, although I do find it interesting that it was motivated in part because RV owners were the least likely group among park users to have purchased a Discovery Pass. I have no use for the RV hookups in the parks, but it has never occurred to me to complain about paying for them.

I was doing some caches along Sultan Basin Road up near Sultan the other day. Some of the gates along the road are posted "Discover Pass Required" some of them are not posted.

Since the place I parked didn't have a posted sign I was under the impression that a pass was not required. So I left my pass in the glove box.

After I got back I found a pamphlet under my wiper saying "Discovery Pass Required" and went on to explain how to buy one.

It was not a ticket so I am left confused.

So does an area have to be posted ?

Has anyone else run into this issue ?

I was doing some caches along Sultan Basin Road up near Sultan the other day. Some of the gates along the road are posted "Discover Pass Required" some of them are not posted.

Since the place I parked didn't have a posted sign I was under the impression that a pass was not required. So I left my pass in the glove box.

After I got back I found a pamphlet under my wiper saying "Discovery Pass Required" and went on to explain how to buy one.

I'm not sure what is going on but into something similar when I was up at the Snow Lake Trailhead (Alpental Parking Lot) late last week where there are absolutely no signs that say Discovery Pass Required but the Forest Ranger was handing out tickets left and right. Pretty low in my opinion

I'm not sure what is going on but into something similar when I was up at the Snow Lake Trailhead (Alpental Parking Lot) late last week where there are absolutely no signs that say Discovery Pass Required but the Forest Ranger was handing out tickets left and right. Pretty low in my opinion

I thought Snow Lake is a Forest Pass requirement, not a Discovery Pass.

That is correct, my bad, a Forest Pass is required. Still, no signage even though other forest pass required sites do have signs. There is something wrong in not having signs at one of the most, if not the most, used sites requiring the pass.

That is correct, my bad, a Forest Pass is required. Still, no signage even though other forest pass required sites do have signs. There is something wrong in not having signs at one of the most, if not the most, used sites requiring the pass.

That's why we usually check first. Signs are nice, but some people think disposing of them is a way to skip out on needing a pass.

Recreation Sites Where Day Use Fees are Charged

Edited by B+L

That's why we usually check first. Signs are nice, but some people think disposing of them is a way to skip out on needing a pass.

I could see that happening and I've seen a few torn down. Though I don't think that is the case at Snow Lake Trailhead.

I also think that list is far from complete; for example, Mailbox TH is not on there, nor trailheads for Green Mt and Mt Bessemer, all which are just along the Snoqualmie Middle Fork road. All of these are signed too.

I could see that happening and I've seen a few torn down. Though I don't think that is the case at Snow Lake Trailhead.

I also think that list is far from complete; for example, Mailbox TH is not on there, nor trailheads for Green Mt and Mt Bessemer, all which are just along the Snoqualmie Middle Fork road. All of these are signed too.

I'm fine with the list being incomplete as long as it does have all the places that do not have signs.

IIRC, there is signage on the way in if not at the ski resort, although I do recall seeing a sign at the trailhead proper which meant you had to walk back to the car to post it... but that was 9 years ago and many snow storms since. The channel on my memory is a bit fuzzy now.

As for the other trailheads along Middle Fork, there was signage on the roadway on the way in at a gate indicating the need for the pass. That's a more common practice than spending money on each and every trailhead inside the area.

Is there a similar list for areas where the Discovery Pass is required.

Edited by FunnyNose

Whereas only some Forest Service areas require a NWFP, all State Parks require the Discover Pass. You can find a complete list of State Parks in the dropdown menu on their home page.

Whereas only some Forest Service areas require a NWFP, all State Parks require the Discover Pass. You can find a complete list of State Parks in the dropdown menu on their home page.

Also DNR land and others: there are links on the pass page link

Also DNR land and others: there are links on the pass page link

From this Page

It sounds like signs will be posted at areas requiring Discovery Passes

5772b978-0afd-4aa0-a26f-f30077cf5a29.jpg

IIRC, there is signage on the way in if not at the ski resort, although I do recall seeing a sign at the trailhead proper which meant you had to walk back to the car to post it... but that was 9 years ago and many snow storms since. The channel on my memory is a bit fuzzy now.

As for the other trailheads along Middle Fork, there was signage on the roadway on the way in at a gate indicating the need for the pass. That's a more common practice than spending money on each and every trailhead inside the area.

I was going to say the same thing. Sometimes the sign isn't at the trailhead parking but along the road leading to the trailhead, especially if more than one trailhead is off that road. The sign can easily be miles away from the parking lot.

guess am just going to have to stick my Discover Pass on my dashboard if I am possibly in remote range of a trail head or place to hike from now on to be safe. The NW Forest Pass is the bigger wildcard because I usually do not hike in those enough to justify the annual pass expense and just get the 1 week versions when I need them.

The NW Forest Pass is the bigger wildcard because I usually do not hike in those enough to justify the annual pass expense and just get the 1 week versions when I need them.

Individual National Parks offer one-week passes, but the only NW Forest passes are single-day ($5) and annual ($30).

I was at the Snow Lake trailhead last Sunday (Alpental) and saw the forest pass sign. There is at least one there in the parking lot on a small trail out of the parking lot.

The problem is that you can get on the road that leads to the trail without passing that sign.

There have been times I've been unsure so just left all my passes on my dash.

I was at the Snow Lake trailhead last Sunday (Alpental) and saw the forest pass sign. There is at least one there in the parking lot on a small trail out of the parking lot.

The problem is that you can get on the road that leads to the trail without passing that sign.

There have been times I've been unsure so just left all my passes on my dash.

Ah, that explains it, I walked up the road and then took the Snoqualmie Mt trail which is before the Snow Lake Trail. At least they do have it posted though they should do a better job since many people walk the road rather than that short cut-off trail and the area looks much more like parking for Alpenal then a regular trailhead parking lot. It's probably one of the more confusing locations and the least signed, a poor combination. Thanks for clearing it up Sol seaker

The NW Forest Pass is the bigger wildcard because I usually do not hike in those enough to justify the annual pass expense and just get the 1 week versions when I need them.

Individual National Parks offer one-week passes, but the only NW Forest passes are single-day ($5) and annual ($30).

you are correct, I spoke incorrectly. Have done many of the national parks and monuments in Washington these last few weeks that I have this finally ingrained in my head the difference.

There is a local car dealer who is giving away free discover passes.

Google is your Friend

What I found out is The State gave this business 1200 free Discover-passes supposedly in trade for promoting the pass.

Didn't that deal end last September?