iPad & WiFi Issues

WesleySmith

I've wanted to try geocaching for a long time, but it's only become feasible with the recent purchase of my iPad WiFi. I downloaded the iPhone app (and why isn't there one for the iPad yet?), and I think I've configured it properly. But when I'm out and about and try to locate nearby caches, a box pops up saying that I haven't refreshed my location recently and defaults back to my home location. I cannot figure out how to center it on my current location. What am I doing wrong?

(I'm using a Verizon MiFi mobile hotspot, if that helps.)

I've wanted to try geocaching for a long time, but it's only become feasible with the recent purchase of my iPad WiFi. I downloaded the iPhone app (and why isn't there one for the iPad yet?), and I think I've configured it properly. But when I'm out and about and try to locate nearby caches, a box pops up saying that I haven't refreshed my location recently and defaults back to my home location. I cannot figure out how to center it on my current location. What am I doing wrong?

(I'm using a Verizon MiFi mobile hotspot, if that helps.)

as an iphone user i would suggest that 3G is how you should be connecting and then the internal GPS should locate you. not sure why your getting 'pinged' home again.

We are talking the first gen iPad right? I don't think it has an internal GPSr built in. Thats only the iPad 3G right?

Sure it can do some location based navigation though WiFi but thats through stationary hot spots. See there is a company that drives around finding open WiFi and marks there location with GPS. So when you drive by a Starbucks while looking at the map on your iPad your position will be updated near that spot on the road. The MiFi only gives you the benefit of internet access. So you can use the iPad to go paperless but not navigate to a cache. Since its a moving hot spot its not in the directory the WiFi navigation knows about and doesn't have a GPS location assigned to it.

sorry forgot to put, you could try a mobile wifi like 3g dongle or any others as a way of connecting easier

Like i said a mobile hot spot won't be able to give the iPad WiFi location data. Unless you know of an app that can use the mobile hot spot to triangulate your location based on what towers your getting a signal from. But then it would need some way of knowing your using a mobile hot spot and not a standard WiFi connection.

That iPad will be great at pulling up all the cache data but you'll need a GPSr to get you where you want to go.

ha, sorry bout that bit,lol. (must read and take in )

im sure mine did that was all when i used it away a while ago, but since getting my iphone 4 i got rid of the dongle.

dont whatever you do set it up for an iphone hotspot unless youre on a contract....it costs a LOT extra

I've successfully used my first gen iPad with a Verizon Mifi several times. It works with the built-in Maps app and Motion-X GPS HD. The Mifi has a built-in GPS but I've read that Verizon has it disabled on some units. A lot of it depends on how the app was written. I absolutely love being able to use my iPad to get me to a cache location and then I break out the handheld GPS for the actual hunt. There are a few bluetooth gps solutions for the Wifi ipads avaliable now as well.

Edited by hacked0ff

Hacked off, I don't want to hijack the thread, but in searching for 1st gen iPad and mifi, I came across your reply. Can I get details on how you work this? This is exactly what I need to figure out. I want to use mifi with iPad to street nav with iPad and then use hanheld to get off the beaten path. Reply back or PM me, please. Thanks

Hacked off, I don't want to hijack the thread, but in searching for 1st gen iPad and mifi, I came across your reply. Can I get details on how you work this? This is exactly what I need to figure out. I want to use mifi with iPad to street nav with iPad and then use hanheld to get off the beaten path. Reply back or PM me, please. Thanks

1. Turn on MiFi

2. Configure iPad to connect to the Mifi wireless.

3. Start driving.

Thats really all I did. I've only used the built-in maps app and MotionX HD with this setup and its worked fine.