Liability of the location owner

Hi,

I am looking to place a geocache near an antique water pump located near our water board. The pumpis a display only piece with a sign detailing what it was. I approached the manager of the water board who had never heard of geocaching so I explained it to him. He said that the only problem that he would have with it is if someone fell and got injured and then sued the water board. So I guess my question is, is there any way to releive the location owner, i.e. the water board in this case, from any liability should someone fall while geocaching?

Thank You,

Mike

Without knowing the layout of the area, I'd suggest placing a cache very near the pump, but in a safe place. Everyone can sue anyone for anything, so if the property manager is worried about it, ask them where they think a good place for the cache would be, and put it there. Just a thought.

Geocaching.com Disclaimer

Cache seekers assume all risks involved in seeking a cache.

Geocaching.com is owned and operated by Groundspeak Inc. Information in the Geocaching.com database is updated regularly. Neither Groundspeak Inc., nor any agent, officer, employee or volunteer administrator of Groundspeak Inc. warrants the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of any information and shall not be liable for any losses caused by such reliance on the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of such information. While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of this information, portions may be incorrect or not current. Any person or entity that relies on information obtained from Geocaching.com does so at his or her own risk.

Geocaching, hiking, backpacking and other outdoor activities involve risk to both persons and property. There are many variables including, but not limited to, weather, fitness level, terrain features and outdoor experience, that must be considered prior to seeking or placing a Cache. Be prepared for your journey and be sure to check the current weather and conditions before heading outdoors. Always exercise common sense and caution.

In no way shall Groundspeak Inc. nor any agent, officer, employee or volunteer administrator of Groundspeak Inc., be liable for any direct, indirect, punitive, or consequential damages arising out of, or in any way connected with the use of this website or use of the information contained within.

This website is for personal and non-commercial use. You may not modify, copy, excerpt, distribute, transmit, publish, license, create derivative works from, or sell any information, or services obtained from this website.

Other products and companies referred to herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies or mark holders.

Individual geocaches are owned by the person(s) who physically placed the geocache and/or submitted the geocache listing to geocaching.com.

Groundspeak Inc. reserves the right to change the terms, conditions, and notices under which this website is offered.

Advertising with Us

This disclaimer basically only applies to Groundspeak, but most cachers understand that they are responsible for their own actions.

If the 'display item' has dangerous aspects, they are already at risk from people who are not geocachers.

Have them look up laws governing 'recreational use' of lands.

In most areas of the United States, lands designated for recreational use of the public have some fairly broad protections from liability - so long as no fees are charged.

Check all local, and state laws though.

Let me get this straight. They have a water pump. They put up a sign so people can walk up and read what it is. And they're worried about liability. Then why did they put up the freaking sign????

And why didn't they put a fence around it with prominently displayed no trespassing signs? Seems to me the only way you can justify the liability issue is that now more people will come to this area and in this larger sample there might be one that will sue. But then again the smaller sample with no geocachers there might be one that would sue if hurt. Seems to me the only way to remove the liability is to make going there violation of no trespassing, and even with that I'm sure some smart junk yard dog lawyer wouldn't still be able to win a settlement.

Let me get this straight. They have a water pump. They put up a sign so people can walk up and read what it is. And they're worried about liability. Then why did they put up the freaking sign????

Someone might actually look for a geocache. They don't really expect anyone to stop and read the sign or look at the pump. If they were worried about that, they could list it as a waymark to make sure nobody would ever visit it. :ph34r:

Someone might actually look for a geocache. They don't really expect anyone to stop and read the sign or look at the pump. If they were worried about that, they could list it as a waymark to make sure nobody would ever visit it. :ph34r:

I had to chuckle when I read Lil Devils comment,, but yours was even funnier :laughing: