Weekend in the Wye Valley

We are heading for a well overdue bank holiday weekend off in the Wye Valley and want our weekend to include walking with the dogs and some caching!

we have our campsite booked inbetween Ross and Monmouth and are looking to explore around Symmonds Yat and Goodrich areas. I have downloaded a PQ of 250 geocaches in that area, and we are more than happy just trundling around the countryside finding what we can while out with the Doggits. However, if you know of any caches worth the visit that we should plan into our trip it would be great to receive suggestions for our first trip to this region!

so far we have highlighted the following cache's to visit;

King arthur's cave - GCWCDP

Symonds yat rock - GC1EGCZ - Earth Cache (our first go at one)

Looking for Linda - GCYK2B - 33 favorites and a 4.5/4.5 rating make it intriguing!

thanks for suggestions!

Celine

Edited by TeamGeo15

Where Eagles Dare (Wye Valley) GCE5E4 Bit of a climb but worth it.

Devil's Pulpit (Wye Valley) GCGACR Tintern Abb view

Steganocache (Wye Valley) GCN72P Great puzzle and location

Wintours Leap

Love the area , many great caches

Thanks for these suggestions - perhaps a little further down the country than we are planning for this trip, but we will keep in mind for a return visit tot he area for sure!

Whilst doing 'King Arthur's Cave', head onto GCYK2B 'Looking for Linda', a 4.5/4.5 cache.

Great fun, and don't forget your torch!

as long as all we need is a torch we will give that one a go - 33 favorites makes it very intriguing!

thanks

Your dogs might not like 'Looking for Linda' but then again they might. It's a good one. If there is A LOT of rain before you do this one you might need to consider wellies. At the moment walking boots will do just fine.

Try to get to 'Log This' - GC2MK8F. This is not far from King Arthur's Cave. If you do it, don't step back to admire the cache hiding place.

I am reasonably local so if you want any info of the area, email me at my profile.

Regards

C0lin

Your dogs might not like 'Looking for Linda' but then again they might. It's a good one. If there is A LOT of rain before you do this one you might need to consider wellies. At the moment walking boots will do just fine.

Try to get to 'Log This' - GC2MK8F. This is not far from King Arthur's Cave. If you do it, don't step back to admire the cache hiding place.

I am reasonably local so if you want any info of the area, email me at my profile.

Regards

C0lin

Thanks for the tips C0lin - our dogs (springers) are mountain goats and adventurous by nature! and if the going gets a little 'extreme' there are two of us to keep them on leads lol. will look into your suggested cache, thanks for that, and might just take you up on the offer and email you before we come down!

Cathedral in the Forest http://coord.info/GCFA39

Lake in the Forest http://coord.info/GCFA3B

might try and squueze these two in as they look right up our street

It might be a little far out but we did the LQ:HEREFORDSHIRE - Apples and Pears cache this weekend - the views are stunning http://coord.info/GC15XTD

thanks for this but it might be a bit far out from where we are heading this trip! will keep it in mind for future though

If you're heading to the Forest of dean, you can hire bikes near to Cathedral in the Forest and take in the new Speech House set of caches too.

There is a nice walk along the river, past the Youth Hostel and this cache: St. Margaret's Church GC2C5PY

If you'd like to drive a little further for a good view and the chance to see a bit more wildlife (and a lot more trees on the way) there's Wynril Point GC240N0 but I'm biased! :)

I was having a browse for good walks yesterday and noticed that 'SidAndBob' has a great website with a lot of walks, linked to Ordinance maps, some with photos and more info and each rated out of 10. There are some particularly good ones around the Yat, worth a look. (If you follow that link to Wynril Point, SidAndBob found it recently, and the link to the webpage is on their profile page.)