geocaching in rain with phone

thethompsontribe

Hi all

i use a smartphone to geocache and it limits me to when its dry. I'm not bothered about the rain i have all the right gear to keep me dry i don't want my phone to get wet and break. how do you keep your phones dry when caching or do you just not bother going when its raining? i use a htc wildfire.

Hi all

i use a smartphone to geocache and it limits me to when its dry. I'm not bothered about the rain i have all the right gear to keep me dry i don't want my phone to get wet and break. how do you keep your phones dry when caching or do you just not bother going when its raining? i use a htc wildfire.

I put the phone (HTC HD2) away when it's raining and just use the Garmin.

The phone is mainly used to run memory map and look up cache details for multis, hints, previous logs etc so it is not our main 'searching' device.

And it's not even a simple question of protecting it in a case because with these new fangled capacitive screens, water droplets will act as finger clicks and cause chaos on the screen.

It's one of the disadvantages of using phones for caching. There are others but as I'm sure you have found out there are benefits too.

Hi all

I keep my phone in my pocket which is under my rain gear. It stays nice and dry there. My GPS is waterproof and a bit of rain is not a problem.

I have used my iPhone a lot when it is raining. (I live on Norway, and we don´t care about rain here!)

People say that you should not even have it in your jacket when it´s raining, but I can´t stay home every day it rains, or leave my phone at home..

We was out catching yesterday, and used both an iPhone and a Samsung, and it was raining a little bit, but we didn´t care that much.

But this was in our neighborhood, so we new how to get to the cache, and just used the phone/GPS the last minout or so. I don´t think I would have used it for much more time than that..

So thats really a good argument to get a GPS.

i use my iphone 4 and when it rains i simply put it in a ziploc bag

keeps it dry and the screen works fine.

and not had any problems with the rain on the bag effecting the screen :D

I'm sure the rain won't cause problems on the screen through a bag.

Does the screen still respond to finger touches through the bag. (I think the 4 has a capacitive touch screen doesn't it?)

Hi all

I have the same phone. Tend to keep it in a pocket when raining and try to get undercover to check directions. I'll try the phone in bag tip too, sounds good.

I'm sure the rain won't cause problems on the screen through a bag.

Does the screen still respond to finger touches through the bag. (I think the 4 has a capacitive touch screen doesn't it?)

ohhhh yes yes yes :D

the screen still works fine through the bag.

Get a GPS and put that expensive phone in your pocket! It ain't worth taking the chance or ruining the phone!

Not to forget, if you slip & fall...the phone falls out of ones hand, etc.

not sure about other phones

but my iphone 4 seems quite robust in my butter finger hands :lol:

ive dropped it many times while geocaching.

even watched it bounce down some very steep hills and steep inbankments :blink:

to crys ooohhhh @$%**^ my phone. but it always seems to servive

(maybe im just lucky)

it does have a screen protector on it

and a rear plastic case that cost 1p of ebay (yes 1p with free postage from china,how do they do that)

Edited by the borgs

Hi all

I keep my phone in my pocket which is under my rain gear. It stays nice and dry there. My GPS is waterproof and a bit of rain is not a problem.

Same for me, or I'll put it in my pack. Regardless it's out of the weather and I use my GPS.

I tried various approaches with my PDA. Ziplock bags, other bags, pouches, lock & lock containers. Whatever it was, in the end it was always fogging up and I was either left with an unreadable screen, or a dead battery after a very short time due to the increased backlight. One of the many reasons why I don't regret making the switch to a proper GPS.

Edited by dfx

if im going all day caching,i put my phone into a battery case

makes the phone about as thick as my old garmin vista

but the power lasts all day. the case cost £30.00 :D

i just find useing the phone alone to be easyer

as i can search for caches on the road and know the info is up to date

and less to carry.

the bags i put them dont seem fog up.

maybe im not caching hard enough :D

or if you just want a waterproof case for the iphone try

iphone case

Edited by the borgs

This is what I do. I put it in a ziplock while it's in compass mode and in my pocket when I get to GZ.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that a dedicated GPS designed for outdoor use is NOT better than a phone for pointing you toward the cache - for a whole number of well rehearsed reasons including ruggedness, battery life, accuracy etc.

(Not so sure that's a reason to leave a phone in the car though, I always like to have mine to hand for PAF or in a worst case scenario to call for help, but there you go, that's just me)

However a phone can come into it's own in a number of ways and can be a handy tool to take along apart from its obvious function of being a telephone.

We don't have a fancy expensive paperless GPS but I do have a windows mobile phone, which I had before we started caching.

So with a few bits of software I can turn my phone into a paperless GPS and bring up full cache details, hints, previous logs, photos (including spoilers) and calculations for multis.

On top of that, with memory map loaded I have all the OS maps I'll ever need right there in my hand, with a little red circle showing me where on the map I am. Makes finding footpaths a whole lot easier.

So I don't think it's right to just dismiss the carrying of a smart phone as being unnecessary and something to be kept safely tucked away in the base of a back pack or left in the car in case it gets damaged while you use a proper GPS instead.

The OP question was (I assume on the basis that they don't have a dedicated GPS) how to protect phones from the wet, not whether (s)he should replace it with a GPS.

The OP question was (I assume on the basis that they don't have a dedicated GPS) how to protect phones from the wet, not whether (s)he should replace it with a GPS.

But that won't stop some from going on a GPSr is better than smart-phone tangent. Some probably miss oldfashioned compasses and navigating by stars too. . .

I have a case for my smartphone that protects it from rain. A ziploc bag should work just as well too. . .

But that won't stop some from going on a GPSr is better than smart-phone tangent. Some probably miss oldfashioned compasses and navigating by stars too. . .

It's like the joke where the man walks into his doctor and says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." and the doctor looks at him and says "Well, just don't do that."

The OP asked about the best way to protect the phone from the elements and sometimes the best answer is "Don't bring it out in the elements, especially when there are a large number of relatively inexpensive devices which are designed to be out in the elements. I don't necessary see this as the anti-phone crowd promoting an agenda at all.

I have a case for my smartphone that protects it from rain. A ziploc bag should work just as well too. . .

Where I go to Geocache - I am not going to bring something as fragile and expensive as a smartphone. Just not the right tool for the job. Kind of like using a kitchen trash sack as a rain coat - sure its better than nothing and basically does the job but I would prefer my Gortex coat with the hood up.

Somebody will start selling a ruggedized version that can take bumps, falls, dust and rain - but until then - I leave mine in the Jeep and take along something that handles life's rough side a little better.

I'll adress the OP's question first, since that's what he/she came here for. I've seen plenty of people on here who recommend using a zip lock baggie. I haven't tried it, but from what I've read, it seems to work. Probably the best bet is a good quality tough case of some sort, if they make one for your particular model that is. A friend of mine recently gave me an Otterbox Defender Series for my iPhone 4 as a gift. We went hiking this past weekend and it rained all day. We weren't Geocaching, but I have cached in this same nature preserve where we hiked. I got my phone out several times to take pictures & there were plenty of times when raindrops fell directly on the screen cover. It didn't have a negative affect on it's touch capabilities and since the cover is built into the case itself, the phone was well protected. I looked and although Otterbox does make cases for several HTC models, they don't make one for the Wildfire. But I'd recommend finding a similar case that fits yours. They definitely come in handy.

I guess there's always going to be the same crowd who's eager to tell smartphone users to just go out & buy a GPSr. Why is it as soon as someone asks a smartphone question, 5 more show up to tell them why a GPSr is better, but I've yet to read a thread where phone users advise people to go out & buy a smartphone to cache with instead of a traditional GPSr? I don't know what their hang up is over smartphone users & I probably never will. When answering questions pertaining to caching with a smartphone, I think it's safe to assume the person doesn't want to be told NOT to use it and to go out & get a GPS unit. I'm not going to tell a person not to bring their smartphone outdoors if they're trying to find a way to protect it. Either you have some advice on how to protect it or you don't. If you don't, move on, it's that simple. That's why they're here asking, to get advice from others who have been there, done that. The OP didn't ask which is more durable or more waterproof, so I'm not sure why people came on here touting one over the other.

Yes, these smartphones can be fragile and they are expensive. That's why it's important to be careful & take precautions. I use an iPhone 4 to cache, I don't have a GPSr. If I did, I'd be just as careful with that as I am my iPhone. I've cached on all types of terrain...grass, pavement, dirt, mud, rocks, climbing up/down, hot/cold, you name it. It always got the job done so it seems like the right tool to me. As smartphone cachers, we know the risks of using one. We accept those risks, why can't you? If you don't want to use one, fine, I don't have a problem with that. But there are plenty of us who do use one and I'm happy to offer any advice I have. It's easy to say there are plenty of inexpensive GPSr's out there, but did you ever stop to think that maybe some people just can't afford one or just don't want one?

Edited by TL&MinBHIL

It's easy to say there are plenty of inexpensive GPSr's out there, but did you ever stop to think that maybe some people just can't afford one or just don't want one?

And, a cheap GPS will not give you the paperless functionality of the cheapest smartphone.

I wouldn't mind betting you can get a second hand smartphone (Android or WinMo especially) or a Pocket PC capable of running caching software and memory maps for less money than a GPS such as the Oregon.

So the non GPS option may just be the cheaper one.

Our Etrex Legend cost around £150 which is not a small sum and yet for full day caching trips taking in multis and wherigos we would be lost without the added functionality of the ppc.

It's easy to say there are plenty of inexpensive GPSr's out there, but did you ever stop to think that maybe some people just can't afford one or just don't want one?

And, a cheap GPS will not give you the paperless functionality of the cheapest smartphone.

I wouldn't mind betting you can get a second hand smartphone (Android or WinMo especially) or a Pocket PC capable of running caching software and memory maps for less money than a GPS such as the Oregon.

So the non GPS option may just be the cheaper one.

Our Etrex Legend cost around £150 which is not a small sum and yet for full day caching trips taking in multis and wherigos we would be lost without the added functionality of the ppc.

Yes, in the US you can get an Optimus V from Virgin Mobile for around $119, new. For $25 per month you get unlimited data,texting and internet plus 300 minutes. I'd imagine you could get a used phone for that or less. So far I'm pretty impressed with the caching capabilities of the Optimus V. Most of the time it's spot on.

The cheapest paperless GPS here in the UK seems to be the Garmin Oregon at around £300

The HTC Wildfire (which the OP has) can be had on a pay-as-you-go basis for around £150.

The HTC will give you most of what the Oregon gives you (except ruggedness and battery life - but a spare battery is less than £10) for around half the price.

Plus most people would have a phone of some sort these days anyway, so it's not like you are buying an additional gadget which you wouldn't have if it weren't for caching.

You can see why a smartphone is a popular option.

But that's getting away from the original question of rain protection, sorry

I'll adress the OP's question first, since that's what he/she came here for. I've seen plenty of people on here who recommend using a zip lock baggie. I haven't tried it, but from what I've read, it seems to work. Probably the best bet is a good quality tough case of some sort, if they make one for your particular model that is. A friend of mine recently gave me an Otterbox Defender Series for my iPhone 4 as a gift. We went hiking this past weekend and it rained all day. We weren't Geocaching, but I have cached in this same nature preserve where we hiked. I got my phone out several times to take pictures & there were plenty of times when raindrops fell directly on the screen cover. It didn't have a negative affect on it's touch capabilities and since the cover is built into the case itself, the phone was well protected. I looked and although Otterbox does make cases for several HTC models, they don't make one for the Wildfire. But I'd recommend finding a similar case that fits yours. They definitely come in handy.

I guess there's always going to be the same crowd who's eager to tell smartphone users to just go out & buy a GPSr. Why is it as soon as someone asks a smartphone question, 5 more show up to tell them why a GPSr is better, but I've yet to read a thread where phone users advise people to go out & buy a smartphone to cache with instead of a traditional GPSr? I don't know what their hang up is over smartphone users & I probably never will. When answering questions pertaining to caching with a smartphone, I think it's safe to assume the person doesn't want to be told NOT to use it and to go out & get a GPS unit. I'm not going to tell a person not to bring their smartphone outdoors if they're trying to find a way to protect it. Either you have some advice on how to protect it or you don't. If you don't, move on, it's that simple. That's why they're here asking, to get advice from others who have been there, done that. The OP didn't ask which is more durable or more waterproof, so I'm not sure why people came on here touting one over the other.

Yes, these smartphones can be fragile and they are expensive. That's why it's important to be careful & take precautions. I use an iPhone 4 to cache, I don't have a GPSr. If I did, I'd be just as careful with that as I am my iPhone. I've cached on all types of terrain...grass, pavement, dirt, mud, rocks, climbing up/down, hot/cold, you name it. It always got the job done so it seems like the right tool to me. As smartphone cachers, we know the risks of using one. We accept those risks, why can't you? If you don't want to use one, fine, I don't have a problem with that. But there are plenty of us who do use one and I'm happy to offer any advice I have. It's easy to say there are plenty of inexpensive GPSr's out there, but did you ever stop to think that maybe some people just can't afford one or just don't want one?

Why is it that when I am asked for an opinion involving smartphones and I happen to mention a real GPS - I get jumped on for giving as honest an opinion as possible??

Why is it that when I am asked for an opinion involving smartphones and I happen to mention a real GPS - I get jumped on for giving as honest an opinion as possible??

Might be that the OP asked about caching with a phone in the rain and you spout off about using a GPSr which isn't what the OP asked for.

Also, comparing using a phone for a gps to using a grabage bag for a rain coat is sort of a put down. Not only a put down but a poor analogy.

Or it could be that everytime someone mentions using a phone you talk about your "I carry my ruggedized, water resistant GPS unit".

Clearly you think using a phone is inferior and will derail a thread to state it.

Might be that the OP asked about caching with a phone in the rain and you spout off about using a GPSr which isn't what the OP asked for.

Also, comparing using a phone for a gps to using a grabage bag for a rain coat is sort of a put down. Not only a put down but a poor analogy.

Or it could be that everytime someone mentions using a phone you talk about your "I carry my ruggedized, water resistant GPS unit".

Clearly you think using a phone is inferior and will derail a thread to state it.

Or... I could be just offering my helpful opinions and personal experiences. Whatever you chose to believe I guess.

Or... I could be just offering my helpful opinions and personal experiences. Whatever you chose to believe I guess.

Helpful would have been giving a suggestion on how to better weatherproof their phone, not suggesting buying a GPSr when that's not the question.

I have to agree with those suggesting a more rugged piece of equipment. My iphone is too expensive to risk playing games in the rain. If my GPS is damaged by dropping it or a failure of its waterproofing it doesn't effect my job. For me it doesn't make sense to risk the phone. If you want to take a chance with it then I suggest a dry bag. But I'm not sure how the touch screen will work through the tough vinyl of the bag. But I still think a GPS is the better choice.

Answering the question "..how do you protect your phone from the rain when you are using it caching..." (which is what the OP question was, slightly paraphrased) with the answer "...I leave mine in the car..." (which was basically your answer) did come across as a little less than helpful and rather dismissive of a perfectly valid question.

I am very surprised that anyone would leave their phone in the car if there is any chance at all of getting some cell signal. It must be a vital tool in anyone's arsenal if they run into difficulty in the middle of a moor or mountain and need help.

Or maybe other people in your group carry the phone?

Either way, when we go out both or all 4 of us carry our phones, then we'd have to be very unlucky not to have one working phone if and when we needed to call help. And there is less chance that the 1 person carrying the phone is the unlucky one who has just tumbled 30 feet down a cliff/mine shaft/quarry.

But it's sometimes tricky to get to the intention behind the words on the page and so maybe your comment wasn't actually meant to be as derogatory as it came across.

The link to the ruggedised phone is helpful. Motorola also make one that is meant to be near indestructible. I suspect that the OP needs to work with what he's got though.

Answering the question "..how do you protect your phone from the rain when you are using it caching..." (which is what the OP question was, slightly paraphrased) with the answer "...I leave mine in the car..." (which was basically your answer) did come across as a little less than helpful and rather dismissive of a perfectly valid question.

Sorry you took it that way - but please re-read the original post. It was also asked if we do not bother to cache in the rain. My comment was intended to address that question as well. In fact - I do leave my cell phone in the car when I cache - just a fact. I don't want it to become damaged or destroyed - it is a rather fragile device.

It seems to me the best advice I can give is to directly answer the question with the knowledge and experience I have - which is, as you have gathered, DO NOT take an ordinary smartphone out in the rain - that is foolish in my opinion. I also offered an alternative. Thats all.

The OP has received several good suggestions. This is turning into a debate and the tone is inappropriate for the "kinder and friendlier" Getting Started forum.

If the OP feels his question was not sufficiently answered and wants the thread to be opened again, I will do that, otherwise it will remain closed.