Just my opinion

The picture on the home page of geocaching.com really bothers me. I don't remember seeing it before so my guess is it came with the update.

Most of us tout caching as family friendly, a way to get outdoors, and pretty much get away from the TV and work.

The home page shows 2 people using their laptops, alone, on what is meant to be a nice vista.

I never thought of geocaching as a solitary event, nor did I think of it as being a computer hobby. of course we use our computers but this picture shows the wrong side of caching IMO

The picture on the home page of geocaching.com really bothers me. I don't remember seeing it before so my guess is it came with the update.

Most of us tout caching as family friendly, a way to get outdoors, and pretty much get away from the TV and work.

The home page shows 2 people using their laptops, alone, on what is meant to be a nice vista.

I never thought of geocaching as a solitary event, nor did I think of it as being a computer hobby. of course we use our computers but this picture shows the wrong side of caching IMO

Is this a joke?

Not only do I miss the photos, I could NOT care less what some one else just found.

As far as the topic,, I cache by my self 99% of the time. My wife hates hiking and has accused me of taking her on a death march when I first stated out. :laughing:

Nothing better than a nice 7-8 mile hike with 4 or 5 quality caches thrown in. Thats the way I do it, every one plays the game differently :anibad:

Edited by sabrefan7

If you read what is underneath each scene 1,2 and 3, you might begin to understand the idea of the change.

It does make sense to me and encompasses all Geocachers.

Shirley~

-----------------------------

I rarely visit the home page. I would assume the home page is designed to provide a quick introduction to the activity for people who are unfamiliar with geocaching, rather than serving as a destination for people who cache on a regular basis. And I think the new design does that pretty well. Of course, I thought the old design did that pretty well too.

But I'm glad the little stick guy was able to locate the bright orange cache lying out in the open. I'm also glad to see that the little guy thought to wear white, because we all know that light-colored clothing makes ticks easier to spot. I'm troubled, however, to learn that GPS satellites can throw lightning bolts at people. It might be a good idea to consider wearing a grounding strap while searching for caches.

It is a family. The mother is looking at Google Earth, giving hints to the son with the GPSr because he just can't find that darn bright orange thing. The father is on another computer so he can log "FTF TFTC" just as soon as his son finds the newly published cache.

Is this a joke?

Coming from you I consider your question hilarious. I have been tempted to post exactly that reply to many of your posts.

But to address the OP, when I started caching I only thought of this as a solitary activity. Some of my most memorable caches have been very isolated and I was the only one there. I have since made many geo-friends and have participated in many group adventures. There is more than one way to skin a geocache. If this is primarily/only a family activity for you, that's great. I have no problem keeping cache names and content family friendly, but don't try to hijack the homepage.

Is this a joke?

Um, no...At least the OP doesn't seem to think so.

"If you read what is underneath each scene 1,2 and 3, you might begin to understand the idea of the change.

It does make sense to me and encompasses all Geocachers."

Yes, I did read the captions and understand what they are trying to show. I guess I miss the pictures of real people.

And Coldgears, why would you think this is a joke?

Like I said, this is just my opinion!

You need to broaden your perspective. The game is what you make of it. What it is not, is just one way to play.

I have played the game solo, I have played the game with groups, and I have played the game with families. I have played with and without my laptop, smartphone and GPS. It can be as much a computer hobby as it is getting out and playing the game. The computer is as integral to the game as getting outside to play it. I track all my hikes and finds on the computer. I'm in the forums on the computer. Without computer technology, this game would have never launched in the form we know it today.

I had to go to the main page to see what you were talking about. My login manager just takes me to my profile, so I never see the home page!

The descriptions under each figure tell the story. Just too bad more don't pay attention to #3! (Share your experience with other treasure seekers.)

We're actually running out of things to talk about, aren't we? Too many micros, uneven trading, power trails, "why do COs make their caches PM only and why are non-PMs allowed to log them", and do-I-log-a-smiliey-if-I-found-the-container-in-a-tree-but-couldn't-reach discussions just got too boring?

Geocaching is a family friendly activity, but that doesn't mean it's only enjoyed by families, or even that the majority of geocachers are families. It only means that families can do it without experiencing any great difficulty. Sure, there's a lot of families that go geocaching together, and it's a great activity to do in a group. And since you've probably communicated with a lot of other geocaching families, IRL and online, it's easy to fall prey to the illusion that geocaching is an activity that only families partake in. But that's not always the case. (In fact, geocaching caused more friction and stress in my family than it was intended to remove, so we decided to stop caching together.) There are other geocachers out there who cache alone, or even with a non-family member. Some do it to get away from the family. In fact, there are likely as many, if not more, who cache alone as there are who cache with their family. Since the population is pretty much 50/50, it's Groundspeak's, or the artist's, call on how to depict the scene.

I never thought of geocaching as a solitary event, nor did I think of it as being a computer hobby.

Geocaching is completely a computer hobby. Browsing cache listings to select caches to search for, carefully selecting attributes to include and exclude for Pocket Queries, transferring those Pocket Queries to your GPS, and logging your finds online are just as important as searching for the cache. For those cachers who think of the computer part of caching and other administrative caching tasks as "work", you may want to try a traditional scavenger hunt or orienteering.

...this picture shows the wrong side of caching IMO

There is no wrong side of caching. Everyone geocaches for their own reasons, and they enjoy different parts of it. Geocaching would be very different for me if I was given a GPS device loaded with nearby caches and then sent off into the field, and then recounted my experience to someone who logged the finds for me when I returned. If the picture showed the cachers sneaking around and hiding from Muggles, that could perhaps be depicting the wrong side of geocaching. But I know plenty of people who enjoy that part too, so it wouldn't really be.

I do cache alone sometimes, don't always enter every find - need to do a better job of that.

I've decided what the picture reminds me of - when kids sit in the backseat of a car watching a DVD instead of interacting and seeing what's out side the window.

Everyone has their own thoughts and that's a good thing.

If you read what is underneath each scene 1,2 and 3, you might begin to understand the idea of the change.

It does make sense to me and encompasses all Geocachers.

So I guess this shows that in order to go geocaching you must first use the internet to browse for a cache to find, and after you find the cache you must use the internet to share your experience with other treasure seekers. (I need to find the treasure seekers website). I guess I'll have to tell my grandniece who found her first geocache today that she hasn't gone geocaching yet since it was her daddy who did the browsing (probably using his iPhome) and so far I haven't seen a log.

But I'm glad the little stick guy was able to locate the bright orange cache lying out in the open. I'm also glad to see that the little guy thought to wear white, because we all know that light-colored clothing makes ticks easier to spot. I'm troubled, however, to learn that GPS satellites can throw lightning bolts at people. It might be a good idea to consider wearing a grounding strap while searching for caches.

I agree about the lightning bolt. I'm trading in my tin foil hat for something less conductive.

I'm not sure the stick guy has found the orange geocache yet. He appears to be looking at his GPS give off sparks instead of putting it away now that he is within a few feet of ground zero and searching for the cache.

I'm just glad they didn't show a stick figure signing the log book. You can imagine what the puritans would have made of that. :omnomnom:

I'm just glad they didn't show a stick figure signing the log book. You can imagine what the puritans would have made of that. :omnomnom:

May I join you with a cup of milk and a donut?? :omnomnom:

I suspect we'd get along great when/if we ever meet. Even if I was wearing my puritan cap....

Not only do I miss the photos, I could NOT care less what some one else just found.

As far as the topic,, I cache by my self 99% of the time. My wife hates hiking and has accused me of taking her on a death march when I first stated out. :laughing:

Nothing better than a nice 7-8 mile hike with 4 or 5 quality caches thrown in. Thats the way I do it, every one plays the game differently :anibad:

That's too funny. My wife is exactly the same. I'll come home filthy and cut with thorns and she'll say, "See? That's what I don't like about geocaching". But to be honest, that's what I like. I geocache mainly on my own because I'm faster and more focused. However, I do have several friends who love to go with me from time to time and, although I really enjoy the company, I'll get less caches.

I've decided what the picture reminds me of - when kids sit in the backseat of a car watching a DVD instead of interacting and seeing what's out side the window.

Depending on where you are and where you're travelling between there's not always that much to see out the window.

Maybe someone will be able to make a Greasemonkey script for the OP to change the home page to this

geocachinghomepage.png

Me to. Except the guy in the striped shirt that seemed to dominate the rotation. :laughing:

Say what? The guy in the striped shirt was my favorite part of the home page! At first I thought it was annoying to see him so often, but then he grew on me. I just might have to start a "Bring back the guy in the striped shirt" Feedback topic. :D

Depending on where you are and where you're travelling between there's not always that much to see out the window.

Maybe someone will be able to make a Greasemonkey script for the OP to change the home page to this

geocachinghomepage.png

That's hysterical! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

One kid should be poking the other, though, with the poked one yelling "stop touching me!!!" That's how it usually goes in my family, anyways. :lol: And those car DVD players are the best thing since sliced bread--there's just not that much to see when driving across Texas.

geocachinghomepage.png

That's hysterical! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

One kid should be poking the other, though, with the poked one yelling "stop touching me!!!" That's how it usually goes in my family, anyways. :lol: And those car DVD players are the best thing since sliced bread--there's just not that much to see when driving across Texas.

This is really funny!!!!

When I said family friendly I didn't mean it should only be be enjoyed by groups. Just that the picture shows all 3 alone and zoomed in on the computer instead of the vista.

Each to their own, enter finds at your own time, for me, it's a few quick notes while out.

The picture IMO shows a very solitary activity, which it is for some, some of the time.

As for watching DVDs while riding - I see it around town, short trips, and I don't get that but since my kids are grown, I don't have to get it.

I see this as a non-issue.

The front page does not mean to show Geocaching as either a solitary or family event which is correct because it's both. Some people don't have a wife or kids that care to go Geocaching, many others do. Neither is more right or wrong and neither one alone was ever the intent of those who pioneered the game.

The front page simply is just showing the three basic steps of geoacaching. I fail to see how you can read anything more than that into this.

What is wrong with people these days? Everyone wants to make something mean this or that when it does not. I wish people would take things at face value more often these days.

I tried to follow the directions by taking my laptop with me along a ridge, but when I turned it on there was no reception so I had no idea if there were any caches nearby, but I quickly spotted something orange in an obvious location. Now I am not sure that was a cache or not because as soon as I approached the site, the government's satellites went into their starwars mode and began to blast the search zone. Luckily, the gpsr worked better than a tin hat and I was able to fend off the attack. Meanwhile, the orange box seemed like it was starting to glow, which made me very nervous. Glowing orange boxes have been linked to either strange visitors from other planets or super-secret "orange ops" technology. So I suspected it was some kind of beacon that was being disguised as a cache. In any event, I did not want to be abducted by either aliens or the government, so I quickly moved on and miraculously my laptop was able to connect to the internet, allowing me to write up my experiences at Above Top Secret.

But I do agree with Starbrand. I miss the old rotating photos. Not the recent batch, which seemed to focus on the guy in Tulum, as much as the ones that included a variety of pictures - some cachers, some landscapes, some interesting things found at cache locations - and a gallery that you could browse. I once had a photo included in the mix and it was always my goal to get a second one. Now, sadly, that opportunity seems lost.

Edited by mulvaney
[i just meant] that the picture shows all 3 alone and zoomed in on the computer instead of the vista.

Seeing as I've already written 2ish paragraphs analyzing the home page image, lets analyze it some more, OK?

Maybe the image shows only a portion of what the solitary cacher is doing. Maybe after he finished browsing the listings on the laptop, he turned his attention to the vista during the search? Just because he's using the computer at some point on the vista doesn't mean he spent his whole trip on the laptop. In fact, if you look at what he's doing in section 2 he doesn't seem to be using the laptop at all.

I will do some more Photoshopping when I get home this afternoon to depict the many substeps of the three basic steps of geocaching. And then maybe someone can make the Greasemonkey script.

But I'm glad the little stick guy was able to locate the bright orange cache lying out in the open.
Who says he found it? He's looking the wrong way!
I'm also glad to see that the little guy thought to wear white, because we all know that light-colored clothing makes ticks easier to spot.
Since his face is the same color, I think we can assume either
  1. He's wearing a white mask, as well
  2. He's actually naked.

I'm troubled, however, to learn that GPS satellites can throw lightning bolts at people. It might be a good idea to consider wearing a grounding strap while searching for caches.
No worries, his GPS is shooting them back!

I must say, I got excited when I read the op, thinking they were talking about a photograph. Maybe they brought the gallery back? Maybe it was a picture something like this:

Clifftop-Laptop-Fotolia_3562451_XS.jpg

But alas, it was not to be.

Don't sweat the small stuff the picture REALLY ????