GPSMAP 60CSx

With that macro, you can have almost everything you might need, except the text of any logs or of the cache writeup. You do get title, hint, D/T, hider, date placed, date last found, and codes for the status of the last few finds.

Maybe that's good enough. It is for me.

That sound good how to do that...

GSAK, macro, caches exported as POI files, gives you 'part' of the cache page.

I used it to export the caches as GPX files for the main caches.

Then export as POI files for the cache page info.

Cache as normal using the GPX file, if you need info search for the POI file.

Worked well for Trads.

Got a little difficult for long/multi-part Multis. (In which case I printed out, or used a PDA, and exported as a GPX to the PDA)

After my experiences owning a Garmin Oregon 450 and a Magellan 710 (both of which went back for refunds) that did "paperless", I am now happily "paperfully" geocaching with a GPSMap 60csx. It's the third one I have owned, and in spite of its low-tech nature it fits me like a well-worn pair of Levis.

I just use GSAK to print out what I want and go caching. Wonder of wonders, I can even read the screen on the darn thing!

I upgraded a few months ago to the 62s. I'm just now starting to really enjoy the advantages of it's paperless capabilities. Getting the hint, quickly verifying the cache and terrain description and doing this right at ground zero is proving itself to be very handy. And all done by just popping in a PQ. But I still print off a map of the area I'm in and I still love using my 60CSX from time to time as it's been a rock solid companion and, in my opinion, one of the best handhelds made.

I find that "paperless" isn't really paperless on some kinds of caches. For instance, yesterday I did GCNFJX "Rara Avis", a multi. Even with a "paperless" machine like an Oregon or eXplorist I still would have needed pen and paper to take notes and solve for the final coordinates. Yes, I know you can log notes on those machines but it is so cumbersome as to be laughable.

While I was using the Oregon 450 I had several caches where the CO had put watercolor paintings she had done of the area into the description that were an important clue to the location, and the Oregon didn't show them. I was able to solve them anyway, but I found several times that "paperless" ended up being lacking in some ways in the field.

I think I will continue to use the "old tech" 60csx and printouts until such time as the high-tech solutions include a decent sunlight readable display, touch keyboards as easy to use as those on Apple handheld devices, a lot fewer bugs and better thought-out "paperless" caching.

I bought a GPSMAP 60CSx thinking I can Geocache "paperless" Look like I made a costly mistake.Is there a solution with that unit ???

I'm reterning the unit & exchange it for a Garmin GPSMAP 62 Handheld GPS Navigator.I should be ok then...

I have a GPS60CSx and use GSAK and a POI macro to get the WP's of 17k caches on the GPS (including hints, child WP's and some general information). Works great for most traditionals.

Recently bought a Android phone with GC apps to get full cache listings and be able to log remotely.

Yeh, I think the 62s will get you a lot more into the paperless world rather than having to play around with PDAs / smartphones etc etc and/or having to load the unit up with awkward POIs. Been there, done that. Glad I dont need to anymore.

Just drop 5,000 caches in pocket queries from gc.com on the 62s, and bye bye, out the door.

I have a GPS60CSx and use GSAK and a POI macro to get the WP's of 17k caches on the GPS (including hints, child WP's and some general information). Works great for most traditionals.

Recently bought a Android phone with GC apps to get full cache listings and be able to log remotely.

OK - help please. I just don't get this and I'm felling very "challenged" at the moment. I have the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx, I'm a premium member of Geocaching.com, I've loaded GSAK and all I get are the GC codes and related info (such as how far I need to go in which direction, etc). It's very basic stuff. When I look at the GSAK website, I get completely lost. How do I get more out of this? And no, I don't have the money to get a different GPS and I don't have a smart phone, etc so I'm "stuck" with this unit.

Thanks for any help,

meyersx4

OK - help please. I just don't get this and I'm felling very "challenged" at the moment. I have the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx, I'm a premium member of Geocaching.com, I've loaded GSAK and all I get are the GC codes and related info (such as how far I need to go in which direction, etc). It's very basic stuff. When I look at the GSAK website, I get completely lost. How do I get more out of this? And no, I don't have the money to get a different GPS and I don't have a smart phone, etc so I'm "stuck" with this unit.

Thanks for any help,

meyersx4

First make sure you are downloading or getting your PQ`s as .gpx files.

try this site for directions.

Edited by IBcrashen

First make sure you are downloading or getting your PQ`s as .gpx files.

try this site for directions.

OK - I did that. It has a bit more info in the title, but nothing else ... at least that I see. I guess the real story is that I don't know what I want to see on the GPSr, but I also don't know what I CAN see when it's set up the "correct" way. Sorry, but I'm not very good with computers, but I am when it comes to hiking and trails and such things. We really have enjoyed this ... so far, but I'm trying to take it to the "next" level.

Thanks for the help,

meyersx4

OK ... again, I'm lost. No pun intended (well, maybe). After doing the above recommended tasks, I now have virtually the same info in Waypoints, Geocache and Custom POI. All I get is: GC code, a very abbreviated cache name and Lat/Lon of the cache location ... that's it. I can geocache this way and have been since we started doing this ... about 3 months ago ... but I know there's more out there and it's driving me nuts! Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.