New cache type needed- Time Capsule Cache

Paul Ag

Geocaching needs to have a cache type for people to have hide stuff for themselves, not in the public view such as time capsules.

It would be a no public view archived cache. I bet most geocachers have personel caches hidden for children or to be open 20 yrs later. I do.

Jeremy you can make it for premium members only then I might actually cough up the $30. Just think, time capsules are to open a long long long time from now. That is one long term member.

What do you think?

Good Luck Cache Baggers

- Paul Ag

Why on earth would Geocaching.com create a new cache type that would never be seen?!? If you want one *that* desperately, just make a new cache, put whatever you want in it, and archive the thing.

I would venture a guess and say that less than 1% of all geocachers have "time capsule caches". If Pocket Queries, Watcher, MOCs, and all the other stuff isn't enough of a reward for supporting the site, hey, it's your loss.

In the meantime, might I suggest that the best place for private, non-viewable time capsule cache pages would be a safe deposit box of fire safe? Be sure to print with archival inks on acid-free paper. (Oh, and let me know how well it holds up... I've often wondered just what container style to use for a rarely-visited cache, but this would be taking the concept to the extreme.)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

Ahh, why didn't I think of that. And here I have been jotting the coords of all those bodies in the back cover of a book.

There are a lot of judgemental people in the world, and I think all those people are worthless dirtballs.

While maybe it's a good idea (as opposed to just leaving your stuff to your kids in your will) it's rather exclusive.

Think about a cache that I hide that only Team360 is allowed to find. The approvers wouldn't ever buy into that and I doubt they would either...unless I put a bar of gold it it and made it worth the drive.

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Ag:

I bet most geocachers have personel caches hidden for children or to be open 20 yrs later.

Um..yeah. I keep all sorts of stuff. But since I put it in my basement, I don't thgink I need a record of the coords.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

You know, this isn't as crazy as it sounds, although I'd prefer to see more of a time-released cache, that you can specify the date and time for it to appear on the site, after initial approval, of course.

This could be useful for giving everyone an equal chance to be first finder on your new hide, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

You know, this isn't as crazy as it sounds, although I'd prefer to see more of a time-released cache, that you can specify the date and time for it to appear on the site, after initial approval, of course.

This could be useful for giving everyone an equal chance to be first finder on your new hide, etc.

That idea is a good one, and can be done right now, by leaving a note on your cache page for the approver to read. We do this all the time, for example, to coordinate the release of new permanent caches that are being placed in connection with an event.

There is always a chance that the approver might miss your note, and also, lots of people don't know about leaving a note like this. It would be nice if there was a special field on the cache submission form that allowed the hider to specify a release date or, at the very least, to give special instructions that only the approver could read. We've already asked for that kind of instructions field so that people can provide the waypoints for multicaches, solution coordinates for puzzle caches, information about virtual caches and so forth.

--------------------

Saving the day and approving all the caches... before bedtime!

I've thought about time capsules before.

However my idea was to email the coords to other cachers in the area, like the WSGA members. Then make the opening, in a year or two, an event cache.

Specific emails would make it unaccessible to public/muggle searching on the site.

So I vote no time capsule cache type.

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

In the meantime, might I suggest that the best place for private, non-viewable time capsule cache pages would be a safe deposit box of fire safe? Be sure to print with archival inks on acid-free paper. (Oh, and let me know how well it holds up... I've often wondered just what container style to use for a rarely-visited cache, but this would be taking the concept to the extreme.)

_[[[ http://clayjar.com/ ]]]_

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

I would agree with this view if you are serious. How are people suppose to know the URL of this hidden cache page? I guess you would, like, store it somewhere? Maybe written on something? You would be better off writing it down and putting it in a safe deposit box, or even storing the information on a burned CD so anyone could read the file. Then the information would not get lost because someone cannot remember the cache page URL or waypoint number.

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

That idea is a good one, and can be done right now, by leaving a note on your cache page for the approver to read. We do this all the time, for example, to coordinate the release of new permanent caches that are being placed in connection with an event.

There is always a chance that the approver might miss your note, and also, lots of people don't know about leaving a note like this. It would be nice if there was a special field on the cache submission form that allowed the hider to specify a release date or, at the very least, to give special instructions that only the approver could read. We've already asked for that kind of instructions field so that people can provide the waypoints for multicaches, solution coordinates for puzzle caches, information about virtual caches and so forth.

If this was an automated process then we wouldn't have to keep the approver up until 3 AM to release the cache icon_smile.gif This way the approver can approve the cache and put it in the queue for automatic time release.

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Ag:

Geocaching needs to have a cache type for people to have hide stuff for themselves, not in the public view such as time capsules.

It would be a no public view archived cache. I bet most geocachers have personel caches hidden for children or to be open 20 yrs later. I do.

Jeremy you can make it for premium members only then I might actually cough up the $30. Just think, time capsules are to open a long long long time from now. That is one long term member.

This is exactly the kind of useless feature-bloat we don't need. To access this data in 20 years (assuming geocaching.com is still around), you're going to need the user name and profile. Going to trust that to memory? Probably not. You're going to write it down somewhere. So why not just WRITE DOWN THE COORDINATES? Let me repeat that. So why not just WRITE DOWN THE COORDINATES?

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

To access this data in 20 years (assuming geocaching.com is still around), you're going to need the user name and profile.

Let's face it, 20 years from now, you are all still going to be geocaching. You are all addicted, like crackheads.

Come on, don't tell me you guys have not thought about hiding something somewhere and coming back years later to check it out. It is human nature.

Story time:

I met a geocacher who work on the Battleship of Texas. He was giving a tour to some of the original sailors on the boat since WWII, anyway the sailor asked him if he could visit an area where he used to worked, now closed off, so he did. Anyway that sailor reached up and pulled out a hidden cigar box that was sitting there since the day he left the boat in the 1940s. It had photos, letters, etc. That was one cool geocache.

Good Luck Cache Baggers

- Paul Ag

Pretty stupid idea if you ask me.

The whole purpose of GC.com is to list caches so other people can find them.

Won't happen.

You'd still have to make sure the people you intend to open this capsule knew about the site, the cache ID, and more to access. It'd be better and easier on everyone if you just wrote the coordinates down in a scrapbook.

Jeremy has many more things better to do than to create a cache type for caches that benefit only a very select few people.