They say there are no dumb questions...so here goes

FootballRef

The wife has been wanting to try geocaching. This afternoon we are going to go on our first adventure. We will be using our Droid X phones for now to do this. Maybe, if we really enjoy it we will move up to a good GPS for hunting but not yet.

My question: How will we know when we have found the item/location that we are looking for?

You are looking for a small container holding a logbook and perhaps some trinkets. You are best off starting out with small, regular and large sized caches at first. Micros can be very tiny, sometimes smaller than the eraser on the end of a pencil.

Here are some examples of containers:

edf83031-10c3-4391-a24b-3d5a3883dbc0.jpg

d1831752-3d35-4f66-b7c5-dc7963649532.jpg

107b62c7-6769-43d8-8c68-76445aa69c28.jpg

aa2b3c2c-539a-4262-bf44-38af28c0dde0.jpg

c08906d5-f035-4012-a6f0-c9aeefa315fc.jpg

Edited by briansnat

Pay attention to the cache size - you are looking for some kind of container.

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

The wife has been wanting to try geocaching. This afternoon we are going to go on our first adventure. We will be using our Droid X phones for now to do this. Maybe, if we really enjoy it we will move up to a good GPS for hunting but not yet.

My question: How will we know when we have found the item/location that we are looking for?

Fun! I'm sorry you haven't gotten a reply sooner. these forums seem to die on the weekends when most people are out caching instead of at work stealing time.

Anyway, if I'm not to late, here is the best answer I can give:

when your GPS says you are about 30 feet away from the cache (more if there are lots of trees or tall buildings to make your readings GPS less accurate) you should start looking for it.

If it's a traditional cache, be sure to check the "size" and "difficulty" rating of the cache as well as reading the description. This helps you to know what you are looking for. Most people reccomend finding a small or regular sized, difficulty 1 or 2 cache for your first hunt.

You are looking for a container, if you find one, open it up and look for a logbook. If there is one, it's probably a geocache. If not, it's probably an empty Burger King cup or something :)

In theory, the cache should be hidden near a place worth visiting. Maybe its a cool local business, a pretty fountain, an amazing waterfall or just a neat looking rock, but this is not always the case.

Also, read this:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/finding.aspx

Browse this:

http://www.geocaching.com/guide/default.aspx

and Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4VFeYZTTYs&feature=player_embedded

EDIt: People got here while i was typing this! :D

Edited by d+n.s

OoOoO let us no how u get on duuude :) I can guarantee u will be HOOKED after ur first couple of finds...If u get a DNF carry on to the next one, dont give up thinkin there all gonna be like that....I had to revist a cache location 3 times before i eventually found it....Keep us posted....Look forward to seein how u got on :)