Pocket queries load as Waypoints.

Okay….I am fairly experienced at geocaching, But I made the move to a Mac this past winter, Haven't done any caching for a bit. Trying to load a pocket Q into Garmin Oregon 400t. It has numerous times loaded into my waypoints file and I have no idea why??? I find it hard to beleive that I really have to purchase a "WinZip" program just to load my GPS? I previously used GSAK on the old PC. DIDn't care too much for that, too much information for simple me.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks <_<

You don't have to download the PQ in a zip file. You can just download the gpx file. Just un-check the box for sending it as a zip file. Make sure your sending both files in the Q to your unit. One is Waypoints only (i.e. parking, trail head, and other related points for the caches) and the other is the file with just the cache info.

You don't have to download the PQ in a zip file. You can just download the gpx file. Just un-check the box for sending it as a zip file.

Does that actually work for PQs with more than 500 caches? I thought those always came zipped.

But in any case, I can only wildly speculate that even Macs come with some software capable of handling ZIP files these days. The times when ZIP files were something exotic that required special software are long gone.

A few different questions here really:

1) PQ's over 500 caches will be zipped regardless of the zip-checkbox on the PQ page.

2) There's no need to buy WinZip for a Mac -- just double click the zip't file and it unpacks.

3) There are many ways to load a PQ onto a Garmin GPS from a Mac. Garmin's Basecamp comes to mind http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4450

Other than "what to do with a zip file" I'm not sure what specific problem the OP is having though?

Okay….I am fairly experienced at geocaching, But I made the move to a Mac this past winter, Haven't done any caching for a bit. Trying to load a pocket Q into Garmin Oregon 400t. It has numerous times loaded into my waypoints file and I have no idea why??? I find it hard to beleive that I really have to purchase a "WinZip" program just to load my GPS? I previously used GSAK on the old PC. DIDn't care too much for that, too much information for simple me.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks <_<

I've seen that too. Depends on how you built the file. For example, if I use MacCaching then export gpx, it imports as waypoints with no data. No clue why.

What I did today that worked was to export as GPX v1.0 from GSAK (under VMware Fusion) to my shared desktop, then copied to \garmin\GPX via the Mac (I can't get my Fusion VM to see the Oregon 200 via usb for some reason so I need to do it the long way).

If you don't use GSAK, just unzip the pocket query (double click it in downloads, it'll make a folder in downloads containing the gpx files - one for the query, one for its waypoints) you can just drag+drop the gpx files natively on the mac onto the drives the garmin automounts as. Works very reliably.

I've found that Basecamp doesn't like PQ files that are GPX v1.0.1. ( you can set the GPX version in your profile) They always load as waypoints instead of geocaches. If I just copy the unzipped PQ files directly to the GPS, everything works fine. If I copy the geocaches from the GPS back into Basecamp, they show up as waypoints again. Even the latest Basecamp beta doesn't seem to like the v1.0.1 GPX files. I loved GSAK when I was still on a PC, but having to fire up VMware just to use GSAK is just too much of a pain for me.