chat room

2Wheeler

Hehe... if you're wondering about the somewhat snide remarks, it's just because the question's been asked many, many times in the more than a year and a half since the weekly official chats started. (You're not the report-writing guy from the GGA meeting, are you?)

The chat's always open, but the official weekly chat is 8:30pm Central (9:30pm Georgia). It usually goes for about an hour and a half, but sometimes it can be a lot longer if there's a lot of geocaching discussion going on. Even when it's not official, though, there are cachers in there almost 24/7 (and certainly in the evenings).

The "easiest" way to get there is to just click over to http://gcchat.clayjar.com/, or if you're versed in IRC, you can just join #Geocache on Slashnet (irc.slashnet.org).

(Incidentally, Jeremy is in there sometimes, but as far as I know, it's not actually linked to from Geocaching.com itself.)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Hehe... if you're wondering about the somewhat snide remarks, it's just because the question's been asked many, many times in the more than a year and a half since the weekly official chats

<snip>

I really not trying to start any debates or anything, but if it is asked so frequently, then why is it not placed in the FAQ?

Quite frankly, the FAQ could include numerous questions that I have seen way to many times.

Kenneth

quote:
Originally posted by kennethpruett:

I really not trying to start any debates or anything, but if it is asked so frequently, then why is it not placed in the FAQ?

It's not a GC.com endeavor.

Read more here.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

quote:
Originally posted by geomaineiacs:

So what I don't get is,...why do they waste their time responding with a snide comment?

That is the love-hate thing between oldie and newbie I guess, or perhaps a sort of snide-tolerance thing. Whatever you call it, every oldie was once a newbie.

quote:

So what I don't get is, if the question has been asked a lot, and it bugs the oldies, then why do they waste their time responding with a snide comment?

Look at how many posts they have in the short time this board has been alive (averages to about 3 posts per day)...

They obviously just like to see themselves typing.

quote:
Originally posted by Frolickin:

quote:
Originally posted by kennethpruett:

It's not a GC.com endeavor.

Read more http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=8016058331&m=4556079&r=8556079#8556079.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

Ok. I read the thread you linked to and understand that gc.com is content with Clayjar running it offsite. I even get that alot of people prefer it offsite so cachers that use other caching sites are comfortable there.

What I don't get is why gc.com doesn't have a link to it in the Links section or FAQ. I'm not saying gc.com should host it, just link to it.

Clayjar even said

quote:
Of course, if there was a "Geocaching chat" link somewhere people can notice it, that would be fine, but if there's not, we have enough geochatters to reply to the topic whenever it comes up. ;-)

A search for chat such as Mopar posted Search for Chat shows that cachers are frequently asking such questions.

There are links to EasyGPS, GeoBuddy, Where's George, etc., none of which are gc.com's endeavor, but they are linked.

So I'll ask again, why not in the FAQ or Links area?

Kenneth

quote:
Originally posted by ju66l3r:

Look at how many posts they have in the short time this board has been alive (averages to about 3 posts per day)...

They obviously just like to see themselves typing.

Look at how few geocaches some people have found in the year and a 1/2 they have been caching (avg to about 3 a month)

They obviously like to sit on their @sses and read other peoples forum posts then actually hunt caches.

"(Mopar is) good to have around and kick. Like an ugly puppy" - Jeremy

[This message was edited by Mopar on July 21, 2003 at 03:07 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Kanto:

quote:

So what I don't get is,...why do they waste their time responding with a snide comment?

That is the love-hate thing between oldie and newbie I guess, or perhaps a sort of snide-tolerance thing. Whatever you call it, every oldie was once a newbie.

No, the snide comment was mostly likely due to the original poster starting a new thread to a question that they could have easily answered themselves using the Find option.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."