Published geocache question

When I recieve and email about new caches that are published like the example below the distance (.1mi S) is always wrong. I moved in September 23 miles NW, I have updated my home coordinates several times and they show right on the map just not in the memo's I receive. Anyone know how to fix this?

It sucks when you see one like the one below and it is said to be a couple hundred yards from your front door only to find out it is 23 miles SW!

For GC2W6M8: Fire at the Disco!!! (Traditional Cache)

0.1mi S (0.21km S)

Christopher Pike published Fire at the Disco!!! (Traditional Cache) at 5/14/2011

Thanks in advance.

When I recieve and email about new caches that are published like the example below the distance (.1mi S) is always wrong. I moved in September 23 miles NW, I have updated my home coordinates several times and they show right on the map just not in the memo's I receive. Anyone know how to fix this?

It sucks when you see one like the one below and it is said to be a couple hundred yards from your front door only to find out it is 23 miles SW!

For GC2W6M8: Fire at the Disco!!! (Traditional Cache)

0.1mi S (0.21km S)

Christopher Pike published Fire at the Disco!!! (Traditional Cache) at 5/14/2011

Thanks in advance.

You're lucky, I live in the suburbs, and it seems that in my area, people don't like to put caches in housing developments. So it's a no-go for caches. HOWEVER, 7 miles northeast of here, and there's at least 10 - 15 caches in housing developments. I can only assume more cachers live 7 miles NE of my house, and less at my location.

Delete and re-create your notifications - seems they are 'stuck' on your old home.

That simple and I still missed it, wow!

Thanks

no need to delete them, just change the coordinates in the current notifications

Notifications don't use "home coordinates". Despite multiple requests to add this (as an option), Groundspeak has yet to reply.

ummm - yes they do.....

Really? How and where do I set that?

97824578.png

Ahh, I set mine to my home address. They must've changed it with the new site update!

Notifications don't use "home coordinates". Despite multiple requests to add this (as an option), Groundspeak has yet to reply.

ummm - yes they do.....

ok - I withdraw that

I would have sworn that there used to be a selection for "use my home coordinates" at least briefly....hmmmmmmmm - I'm looking through some old screenshots....

....sorry......

Ahh, I set mine to my home address. They must've changed it with the new site update!

No, that page hasn't changed in ages. You can put in an address (postal code), but it will just convert that to coordinates and save those.

Edited by dfx

ummm - yes they do.....

ok - I withdraw that

I would have sworn that there used to be a selection for "use my home coordinates" at least briefly....hmmmmmmmm - I'm looking through some old screenshots....

....sorry......

When creating a new notification, it is automatically populated with your home coordinates. Once it is saved, that's it. It doesn't change if you change your home coordinates.

When creating a new notification, it is automatically populated with your home coordinates. Once it is saved, that's it. It doesn't change if you change your home coordinates.

The problem is (and why pointing to home coordinates should be an option), is when someone moves, ALL of their notifications have to be updated. This is especially troublesome because in order to get notifications for most cache types, you have to set up almost a dozen notifications, one for each type of cache.

ummm - yes they do.....

ok - I withdraw that

....sorry......

I don't know why that form would ask for a postal code unless it does it if someone tries to set up a notification but has not yet set their home location in the account details page. It sounds like the notifications code could use a fix though. If a notification has to be deleted and recreated when ones home coordinates have changed it implies to me that when a new notification is changed is creating a copy of of that data and storing it along with the notification and that copy is not being updated if the home coordinates in the account details have changed. It seems to me that when the notification runs it should just grab the home location from the users profile data and that the users postal code used if the user has not set home coordinates.

ummm - yes they do.....

ok - I withdraw that

....sorry......

I don't know why that form would ask for a postal code unless it does it if someone tries to set up a notification but has not yet set their home location in the account details page. It sounds like the notifications code could use a fix though. If a notification has to be deleted and recreated when ones home coordinates have changed it implies to me that when a new notification is changed is creating a copy of of that data and storing it along with the notification and that copy is not being updated if the home coordinates in the account details have changed. It seems to me that when the notification runs it should just grab the home location from the users profile data and that the users postal code used if the user has not set home coordinates.

A notification, based on home, does not have to be deleted and recreated. This is just the easiest way of doing it. You can always change the coordinates manually.

The problem is that there is not a home coordinates selection, like there is on the PQ page. As it is, I would NOT want the coordinates changed on my notifications, if I changed my home coordinates. Not all of my notifications are based on my home.

The problem is (and why pointing to home coordinates should be an option), is when someone moves, ALL of their notifications have to be updated. This is especially troublesome because in order to get notifications for most cache types, you have to set up almost a dozen notifications, one for each type of cache.

Consolidation of cache types is on that list of things that they never seem to get around to.

As it is, I would NOT want the coordinates changed on my notifications, if I changed my home coordinates. Not all of my notifications are based on my home.

Which is why it should be an option, just like the PQ page, you can choose to key in coords, or choose the home option.

I don't think anyone has ever asked that they be based on home coords, only that it be an option, yet this seems to be the argument most people present against changing it, I don't get it.