GPSmap 62S problems

I have my new GPS for half a year now and have some issues with it. This is my first GPS so I don't know if it's normal or not

1) If I have uploaded 2 or more queries on the GPS. Through USB cable. If I than start up my GPS it stops halfway the startup. I can't do anything anymore except getting the batteries out. If I than turn on the GPS I lost all caches. If I delete the file and upload the query again, nothing happen. I need to make a new query or wait a day to run the query again.

2) Sometimes I noticed that the accurancy of the GPS is not close to the geocache (meters difference).Even if you read in the description of the cache that the coordinates are sport on. What could be the reason that the coords are not spot on with my GPS? (not under trees, or between rocks etc)

3) Everytime when I turn my GPS on, the cursur is still on the last location I have visited. It takes a long, long time till it turns to the place where I am at the moment. This is a bit irritating, cause you need to wait a while till you can start your walk.

Thanks for your advice

I have my new GPS for half a year now and have some issues with it. This is my first GPS so I don't know if it's normal or not

1) If I have uploaded 2 or more queries on the GPS. Through USB cable. If I than start up my GPS it stops halfway the startup. I can't do anything anymore except getting the batteries out. If I than turn on the GPS I lost all caches. If I delete the file and upload the query again, nothing happen. I need to make a new query or wait a day to run the query again.

2) Sometimes I noticed that the accurancy of the GPS is not close to the geocache (meters difference).Even if you read in the description of the cache that the coordinates are sport on. What could be the reason that the coords are not spot on with my GPS? (not under trees, or between rocks etc)

3) Everytime when I turn my GPS on, the cursur is still on the last location I have visited. It takes a long, long time till it turns to the place where I am at the moment. This is a bit irritating, cause you need to wait a while till you can start your walk.

Thanks for your advice

You haven't mentioned in your log but the heading title indicates you have a Garmin 62s, correct? Have you contacted Garmin support? They have a pretty good team and can either help you find a solution or they may recommend a replacement. You should have a one year, free repair warranty. You can either e-mail or telephone Garmin support.

I didn't know if it was common and thought maybe I have done something wrong.

I just looked on their websie. Cause I'm living in New Zealand was looking for possibilities to send an email.

Cause the issues I have with the garmin where really Caching related, I thought maybe some other cacher had the same experiences.

Maybe it has something to do with the map I am using.?

Thanks

Which product are you using to load your unit? GSAK or some other product. That information would be helpful.

Variance from co-ords. 2 - 3 meters off is not remarkable, in fact it is rather standard.

Perhaps the cache had been placed with some mapping product and or a mobile phone both of which may have errors. Nothing like boots on the ground with a good GPS'r in hand to ensure a greater degree of accuracy.

Then there is always the potential that someone deliberately softened the co-ords and / or offset the cache.

What about the latest version? Do you have 2.95 beta loaded into your device? Don't worry about "beta", just go ahead and update. Your concern #2 sounds very similar to a "sticky" issue whereupon the distance to the cache tended to freeze due to very slow movement by the user. That has pretty much been corrected. In fact, the latest version appears to be a good one. The 62s I'm presently using is a replacement to the first one which had a problem with compass calibration (I couldn't calibrate past stage one without getting an error message)so I do recommend contacting Garmin if others on this forum fail to provide you with a solution. Hang on a bit then, if you want, there are some very sharp people using this site who may be able to help you.

I loaded the new version today. Bin out caching, unfortunatly same problems.

I noticed also another issue:

4) You can put a filter on your GPS. I don't want to see my "question-caches". So ticked these off in the filter. But the questionsigns keeps on popping up.

Of course can you solve this not to load these question-caches in the query, but I need them if I do a question-cache once in a while. Why is the filter not working?

To answer the question about loading to the unit. As far as I know I just use the queries of geocaching.com.

I noticed also another issue:

4) You can put a filter on your GPS. I don't want to see my "question-caches". So ticked these off in the filter. But the questionsigns keeps on popping up.

Of course can you solve this not to load these question-caches in the query, but I need them if I do a question-cache once in a while. Why is the filter not working?

To answer the question about loading to the unit. As far as I know I just use the queries of geocaching.com.

Just as an experiment, I would delete every downloaded gpx file from the device. Instead of pocket queries, I would then download individual specific caches to your device from geocaching.com and search for those caches. Personally, I would want to know if the problems with your handheld are a result of the pocket queries you downloaded or stem from the unit itself. Once you have determined that, and if things appear to be working okay, then you know the cause. If not, contact Garmin. I was initially frustrated and disappointed with my first 62s but Garmin's staff made replacing it a quick and easy process. I live in Canada and dealt with an authorized distributor suggested by Garmin.

I would suggest that you do a complete factory reset before starting any of the suggestions, to make sure nothing funny is happening.

This 'indexing' problem happened to me but early on in the revisions; it has been ok for the last few versions of software. As you have got the latest version, it suggests something else is happening...... make sure you have emptied the garmin/gpx folder of all gpx files and start afresh, loading the gpx files your require. There is a known prob with loading and removing gpx files from the 62s....... heres a simple procedure to get around it....

a) Connect 62s to pc.

B) Delete all gpx files from garmin/gpx directory.

c) Unplug from pc

d) restart 62s and allow to boot to map screen.

e) Reconnect 62s to pc

f) download the gpx files to garmin/gpx directory using windows explorer.

g) unplug 62s from pc.

h) restart 62s and allow to boot to map screen.

i) Reconnect 62s to pc

j) Now create routes etc using whatever software you want to use eg Basecamp.

GC.com blame Garmin format, Garmin blame GC.com format..... and we have to live with it.....dont get me started again... :-)

As others have suggested, a few meters out is acceptable - the 'accuracy' depends on how accurate the cache owners gps was at the time of placing - that may have been out by 30ft to start with. The 62s is great under trees compared to my old 2002 etrex model. I have had 12ft accuracy under trees, which is fantastic - remember that the cache owner may have had 50-60ft accuracy when setting the cache, so that will affect where the actual cache is located.

Maybe problems with its Almanac - see here http://gps.about.com/od/glossary/g/GPS_Almanac.htm

Start with a factory reset, make sure you have latest beta installed...... then leave it outside for 30mins or so to collect the new Almanac. My 62s starts 'instantly', but if have had to wait it was due to a new version of software installation.

4) You can put a filter on your GPS. I don't want to see my "question-caches". So ticked these off in the filter. But the questionsigns keeps on popping up. Of course can you solve this not to load these question-caches in the query, but I need them if I do a question-cache once in a while. Why is the filter not working?

I am a little bit stuck on this one - maybe that factory reset will sort it? I cannot think of any reason why the filter would not work; I have never had any trouble with filters.

Maybe it has something to do with the map I am using.?

I dont think you have mentioned what map product you are using. Make sure you have a 'copy' of it - eg if it has been installed from eg Mobile Atlas Creator, save a copy on your pc - then delete the file from the custom maps folder on the gps. If you have a map product on SD card - remove it before you do the factory reset. Introduce the map product after you have established that you can load gpx files ok from GC.com.

Try the factory reset and then try the above....

If that fails, I have had some good feedback from the Garmin beta team email: 62-78Beta@garmin.com

If they cannot help you and you still are having trouble, it maybe a prob with the actual 62s unit and it may need replacing - but Im sure the beta team will advise you before you have to do this.....

Hope this helps a little.....

MarMis. I'm really happy that janandsteve have responded. He has helped me in the past and he's very knowledgeable. I wanted to also mention that you should always preview your pocket queries for accuracy before downloading them onto your device. Make sure it's contents are exactly as you want them to be regarding filtering out mystery caches, difficulty levels, etc. Make the corrections, preview again, then download. Good luck!

..... I'm really happy that janandsteve have responded. He has helped me in the past.....

Thanks for the kind words :) I might not know all the answers, but I always try and help if I can.

I wanted to also mention that you should always preview your pocket queries for accuracy before downloading them onto your device. Make sure it's contents are exactly as you want them to be regarding filtering out mystery caches, difficulty levels, etc. Make the corrections, preview again, then download. Good luck!

Yep - good point.

With my PQs I always adjust the 'distance' to give me between 990-999 caches - that way if you do any of those 'multis' where you have to enter the 'next stage' coords, it will be ok - I read somewhere - prob on here - ( but I have never checked it ) that if you had 1000 caches in a gpx, it wont let you do the next stage as it would go over the 1000 limit - I think it suggested the next stage would appear as an 'additional cache' - I'm prob totally wrong.....

Another reason I limit to under 1000 caches with the distance is so I can reorder the columns when I preview the query - before I was running a PQ with 1000miles radius and when I did a reorder for the caches that were new in the chosen PQ, it was bringing back caches that were in the Netherlands - thats a plane ride away for me......maybe this would help someone too......

If that fails, I have had some good feedback from the Garmin beta team email: 62-78Beta@garmin.com ...............

I got feedback....now where did I put it.....oh well...I'll just tell ya.

I updated to 2.95 beta. It works fine. However....I hated that stupid proximity alert that blanks out the screen with a dumb message just as you are nearing your destination (30 seconds out I believe). It was gone in the last beta version in offroad mode. I was very happy!

Now it's back...bummer. the software guys say it is wanted by the search and rescue guys...no way. I'm quite certain the geocachers purchase the majority of the Garmin 62 units. They should work towards our needs <_<

It's another case of the minority computer forum groups messing up stuff for those who actually use the devices. :mad:

Do you like that alert?

:unsure:

Edited by ventura_kids

If that fails, I have had some good feedback from the Garmin beta team email: 62-78Beta@garmin.com ...............

I got feedback....now where did I put it.....oh well...I'll just tell ya.

I updated to 2.95 beta. It works fine. However....I hated that stupid proximity alert that blanks out the screen with a dumb message just as you are nearing your destination (30 seconds out I believe). It was gone in the last beta version in offroad mode. I was very happy!

Now it's back...bummer. the software guys say it is wanted by the search and rescue guys...no way. I'm quite certain the geocachers purchase the majority of the Garmin 62 units. They should work towards our needs <_<

It's another case of the minority computer forum groups messing up stuff for those who actually use the devices. :mad:

Do you like that alert?

:unsure:

I'm getting used to it now and it does go away on it's own but (and I could be wrong about this--I need to test it more) I've noticed that the distance to GZ counts down nicely prior to the proximity alarm but then "hangs" right after I've cleared the screen. Eventually, count-down resumes.

Do you like that alert?

I do.

???

Maybe they should remove the hunt/fish calculator since only geocachers are allowed to decide what features a unit should or shouldn't have.

There are alot of GPS units that are bought by non-geocachers. Alot of sales are made to agency personnel, hunters, hikers, field crews, search and rescue crews, fitness buffs, military personnel, etc. Yeah, I geocache, and it's fun, but I could live without it. I'm not arguing that geocachers make up a large percentage of sales but if you make a GPS solely structured to play a game while leaving other manufacturers to serve the "serious tool" users, Garmin would be missing out on a large portion of sales.

In critiquing the functionality of a particular unit, try and remember that other people use it in ways that may differ from yours. Whenever I suggest something to Garmin I always ask them to make it customizable. That way if someone likes the feature great, if not they can turn it off.

I'm quite certain the geocachers purchase the majority of the Garmin 62 units.

On what facts do you base this assumption?

The 62s is an outdoor mapping unit that has geocaching as one of its functions and is not a dedicated geocaching unit - as you know.

I use mine for general walking, car navigation ( yes I do have a bulit in unit as well in the car ) for boating as well as geocaching.... I'm sure others do too.....

They should work towards our needs

This comment is a little narrow minded - its a general mapping gps, not a dedicated geocaching unit. Garmin will take into consideration the needs of all the user base and not the exclusive needs of geocachers - that would limit their Customer base.

Do you like that alert?

I love it and I was one of those that asked Garmin to bring it back in a future release - and they did! Fantastic.

It's another case of the minority computer forum groups messing up stuff for those who actually use the devices.

I could not agree with you more on this point - geocachers are indeed only one of the 'computer forum groups' and are only one of the type of users that use this 62s unit. We dont want a computer forum group 'messing up stuff for those who actually use the devices' for other uses other than geocaching. ( I appreciate you do 1000+ caches per day )

Like I have said before and what I asked Garmin to do when I requested the facility back - the sensible thing here is for Garmin to listen to users needs, and while I do appreciate some users find the proximity alarm annoying, the solution is for Garmin to make this facility switchable - on for those that like it, switch it off if you dont..... then we both would be happy, right?

I'm quite certain the geocachers purchase the majority of the Garmin 62 units.

On what facts do you base this assumption?

The 62s is an outdoor mapping unit that has geocaching as one of its functions and is not a dedicated geocaching unit - as you know.

I use mine for general walking, car navigation ( yes I do have a bulit in unit as well in the car ) for boating as well as geocaching.... I'm sure others do too.....

They should work towards our needs

This comment is a little narrow minded - its a general mapping gps, not a dedicated geocaching unit. Garmin will take into consideration the needs of all the user base and not the exclusive needs of geocachers - that would limit their Customer base.

Do you like that alert?

I love it and I was one of those that asked Garmin to bring it back in a future release - and they did! Fantastic.

It's another case of the minority computer forum groups messing up stuff for those who actually use the devices.

I could not agree with you more on this point - geocachers are indeed only one of the 'computer forum groups' and are only one of the type of users that use this 62s unit. We dont want a computer forum group 'messing up stuff for those who actually use the devices' for other uses other than geocaching. ( I appreciate you do 1000+ caches per day )

Like I have said before and what I asked Garmin to do when I requested the facility back - the sensible thing here is for Garmin to listen to users needs, and while I do appreciate some users find the proximity alarm annoying, the solution is for Garmin to make this facility switchable - on for those that like it, switch it off if you dont..... then we both would be happy, right?

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but why not simply have an option in the Settings to toggle the proximity alarm 'on or 'off'?.

My concern is mostly a safety issue. I really don't care if it rings a bell.

However...it blanks the screen right at the worst time.

(written in third party to eliminate responses that attack me)

If geocachers are zooming along in a vehicle, and approaching a geocache....the compass screen blanks out just as they are trying to determine whether they should go straight thru the traffic signal at the intersection, or turn the corner.

There is no reason to blank the screen to tell them they are approaching the location.

It would be better to just ding the bell....like the Nuvi's do.