Need help with hide container

I'm working on a geocache hide which requires a unique shaped/sized container. The opening for the hiding place is 1-3/8" wide by 2-1/4" wide. For reasons that is hard to explain, I'd like it to be between 6 and 9-1/2" long.

I know I could probably create a container made of PVC pipe which would work, but I have heard and experienced problems with this type of container. If it doesn't leak, these screw cap is too tight to remove without a wrench or freezes in place. If the cap is removable, it usually leaks or the threads gets grimed up with dirt.

Do you have any idea for a better container than PVC pipe, either a container to purchase or some type of used food container? Or do you have any suggestions to make a PVC pipe container more usable?

Thanks,

medoug.

The one I have in front of me is 5 1/2 inches long. If you shop around they come in different sizes for the different size bottles.

I did a quick internet search and they are all 5.5 long. Maybe I could glue on an extension just to get the extra length required. Maybe glue 2 preforms together and only use the one with a cap for the container.

Please anyone, let me know if anyone knows of a longer preform or other ideas for containers.

medoug.

By changing my search from "soda bottle preform" to just "bottle preform", I am finding some different sizes. My biggest problem with these is that they want to sell me like 1000 pieces. I only need 1 or 2. Does anyone know of a source for buying smaller quantities of various sizes of bottle preforms?

Thanks,

medoug.

By changing my search from "soda bottle preform" to just "bottle preform", I am finding some different sizes. My biggest problem with these is that they want to sell me like 1000 pieces. I only need 1 or 2. Does anyone know of a source for buying smaller quantities of various sizes of bottle preforms?

Thanks,

medoug.

:laughing: Write and ask for a sample. Or put a geocaching sticker on 'em and start selling cache containers on ebay.

Thanks,

medoug.

Seller claims this is 6.5" long, and is available in single units.

Thanks Doctroit,

That looks that it will work.

medoug.

If a bottle cap will be an appropriate seal, you can cut the top off most any bottle that has the right sized cap, and secure that to a length of PVC pipe. Just set it up so that the rolled up log sheet (and other contents) can always easily be removed.

I had heard that there was some type of supplement that you can buy that comes in a bottle preform. Today, I found a product that matched the description at Walmart. I was surprised to find that this wasn't the standard pop bottle preform, but instead was almost exactly the container size I needed. :) 1-5/16" diameter by 7" long. The product only costs $2 which is about the same as buying just the empty container on-line before the added shipping cost required.

medoug.

I had heard that there was some type of supplement that you can buy that comes in a bottle preform. Today, I found a product that matched the description at Walmart. I was surprised to find that this wasn't the standard pop bottle preform, but instead was almost exactly the container size I needed. :) 1-5/16" diameter by 7" long. The product only costs $2 which is about the same as buying just the empty container on-line before the added shipping cost required.

medoug.

what department in walmart and what's it called?

It was called Body Fortress Super Whey Protein Shot. It was in the pharmacy department by the vitamins and supplements like 5-hour engergy and work-out shake mixes. I could buy an individual tube for $2 or a 6-pk for $10. They have a much larger diameter/cap size than the standard 2-liter soda bottle preforms which probably makes these a "small" container rather than a "micro". Note that the container appears to be made from a slightly cloudy plastic, not crystal clear like the soda bottle preforms.

Tomorrow I am going to check GNC to see if they have similar products in different size tubes as well.

medoug.

Edited by medoug

Be careful using that size and shape of PVC pipe. Unless you label it well, someone down the road may want to blow it up.

Why? What can it be mistaken as?

Pipe bombs are made from metal pipes. Most modern plumbing is made of PVC pipe.

Yes, you know that, a lot of us know that, but many people seem to think that "pipe" in pipe bomb refers to any pipe material, and the most common is of course PVC.

You'd think that the bomb squads should know better, but from reports in the press their policy seems to be to blow it up first and ask questions later. Of course, it is the ones that get blown up that gets press coverage.

Edited by Chrysalides

Be careful using that size and shape of PVC pipe. Unless you label it well, someone down the road may want to blow it up.

Why? What can it be mistaken as?

A pipe bomb most certainly can be made from PVC pipe. Why not? Anything that you can pack explosive into can be a bomb, including our most popular cache containers.

It was called Body Fortress Super Whey Protein Shot. It was in the pharmacy department by the vitamins and supplements like 5-hour engergy and work-out shake mixes. I could buy an individual tube for $2 or a 6-pk for $10. They have a much larger diameter/cap size than the standard 2-liter soda bottle preforms which probably makes these a "small" container rather than a "micro". Note that the container appears to be made from a slightly cloudy plastic, not crystal clear like the soda bottle preforms.

Just don't drink the stuff, apparently.

That's right... It's impossible to make pipe bombs out of anything other than metal.

Sure, but almost any type of container could contain explosive material. The problem with PVC is that it's not transparent and thus if it's encountered by a LEO they won't be able to tell what might be inside it.

That's right... It's impossible to make pipe bombs out of anything other than metal.

Sure, but almost any type of container could contain explosive material. The problem with PVC is that it's not transparent and thus if it's encountered by a LEO they won't be able to tell what might be inside it.

Same is true of an ammo box.

Just don't drink the stuff, apparently.

Interesting on this link..there was a "live feed" to the right and my location of Victoria BC was there, along with Frodsham in Cheshire UK, Houston Tx, Fremont Ca, Hazard Ky, Marysville Ca.......Big Brother is watching!!!

Interesting on this link..there was a "live feed" to the right and my location of Victoria BC was there, along with Frodsham in Cheshire UK, Houston Tx, Fremont Ca, Hazard Ky, Marysville Ca.......Big Brother is watching!!!

Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit wearing a tinfoil hat!

Gotta go hunt down a few proxy servers from all over the world to make that live traffic page more interesting...

[Walmart sells these kids watchbands in preforms for $2

Hey power69,

Could you please elaborate? I looked at Walmart last night and could not find these. The lady working the jewelry section said that the only watchbands they sold were in their display. Only adult watch bands were there. Are they in the jewelry section near the watches, or in the toys, or party supplies, etc.? Do you remember the brand name for the watchbands?

Also, roughly what size are these preforms?

Thanks, medoug.

I picked up one of the protein thingie from Walmart last night. About $2. It is considerably larger than a soda preform, though the plastic is softer and thinner. The liquid inside worries me a bit - I don't think I'll be consuming it :) The product name, etc. is on a thin plastic sheet and peels off cleanly, no glue residue.

I picked up one of the protein thingie from Walmart last night. About $2. It is considerably larger than a soda preform, though the plastic is softer and thinner. The liquid inside worries me a bit - I don't think I'll be consuming it :) The product name, etc. is on a thin plastic sheet and peels off cleanly, no glue residue.

Material of these preforms are HDPE (like milk jugs), not PET (like soda bottles). The material is still quite durable for use as a cache container. If you do any modifications to the bottle, most glues will not adhere because they are HDPE. Best bet would probably be to roughen the surface and use hot glue gun glue.

As mentioned, the container probably qualifies as a "small", rather than a "micro" cache. The flange on the tube is only slightly bigger than the tube's diameter (unlike the soda bottle preforms). The inside of the cap has a rubbery material which appears to make a very good seal. Tube is a little over 1-1/4" diameter. Cap and flange are about 1-1/2" diameter. Assembled container is about 7" long.

I drank the liquid after a hike. Tastes very mediciney. The container still smells like the liquid despite washing with hot soap and water, scuffing the insides with steel wool, and rinsing with straight chlorine bleach. Hope it doesn't attract the critters.

medoug.

As mentioned, the container probably qualifies as a "small", rather than a "micro" cache. The flange on the tube is only slightly bigger than the tube's diameter (unlike the soda bottle preforms). The inside of the cap has a rubbery material which appears to make a very good seal. Tube is a little over 1-1/4" diameter. Cap and flange are about 1-1/2" diameter. Assembled container is about 7" long.

I drank the liquid after a hike. Tastes very mediciney. The container still smells like the liquid despite washing with hot soap and water, scuffing the insides with steel wool, and rinsing with straight chlorine bleach. Hope it doesn't attract the critters.

You drank it? You're a brave man! I thought it smelled like cough syrup :)

I've left it airing for a few days now, not sure if the smell dissipated any. (edit : nope it had not)

I measured, it's about 4 ounces when filled to the brim. Going by "larger than 100ml = small" this just qualities as small.

Thanks for the tip on what adhesive to use.

Edited by Chrysalides
P.S. I tried hot glue on this preform, and it does appear to have sufficient adhesion.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to hot glue a magnet to the sucker, then use heat shrink tubing to hold it in place since I have it lying around.

I left some isopropyl alcohol in it for about half a day and it seemed to help a little with removing the smell, but it's still there. Rubbing the lid with alcohol also removed most of the expiry date from it.