Want more complete .LOC files for waypoint downloads

Krenath

.LOC files and EasyGPS support additional fields beyond what GEOCACHING.COM actually populates when generating a .LOC file for download/pocket query use.

Symbol: This is used to set the waypoint symbol. Geocaching.com sets this to "waypoint" exclusively, rather than using "geocache" and "geocache found". Geocaching.com does know which ones you've logged, so there's no reason it can't indicate that in a .loc file, and using the geocache symbol would keep unfound caches from getting mixed in with user waypoints of other types.

Type: Set to "geocache" by geocaching.com. Could be more effective if used to indicate whether the cache is normal, virtual, letterbox, webcam, multi-cache, etcetera.

Comment: Not used by geocaching.com. Since EasyGPS and ExpertGPS display it in a single-line edit box when editing a waypoint, it doesn't appear to be set up to hold extensive amounts of data, which is a shame. Would be nice if it could hold the whole description of the cache. This or 'Comment' could hold the cache difficulty rating for quick reference.

What I have in mind is to use pocket query searches downloaded to my laptop, which will ride around in the car with me, running ExpertGPS to generate a detailed location map. I'd like the data in ExpertGPS to be as complete as possible since once I'n standing at a cache, it's a little late to wonder if I've printed all the details for a virtual cache or for a themed cache...

Currently, I download a .loc file, then edit it extensively before using it with ExpertGPS/EasyGPS or my GPS itself. But as an ASP/SQL web developer myself, I can see how it would be quite possible to take all this information Geacaching.com already has available for use on the website itself, and roll it into the downloaded .loc files.

Wouldn't bother me a bit if the extra features were 'members only' since I paid for my charter membership to Geocaching.com just today icon_smile.gif

Once downloaded to a GPS, most of these additional fields are discarded, but when used with external software, they could add quite a bit to users' caching experiences.

[This message was edited by Krenath on August 06, 2002 at 07:19 PM.]

I'd love it if the Pocket Query offered the data in GPX format. There may be some fear of someone using this to "steal" the data but the truth is that it is not that hard to steal the data anyways!

I'm not sure that the .loc waypoint symbol worked with the old EasyGPS but it might with the new one. My experience was that the .loc file doesn't specify the symbol at all and that EasyGPS uses waypoint by default then. When I tried changing the symbol and saving the file it went away.

Of course I could have been asleep at the time!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

Do a search on GPX in the forums. If I didn't have to keep readdressing the same discussion I'd probably be done with it by now.

People kept doubting that we would come out with a palmable version of the site too. You just need to exercise some patience.

LOC, by the way, never did support waypoint types. Dan and our discussions eventually helped create the GPX format, which we are moving to.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Well, that's what the "Geocaching Announcements" section is supposed to be used for. Let us KNOW what you're working on, and what's the next feature in the pipe. Right now that section hasn't been used since March. The pocket query stuff should have been announced there, and everyone could see it. Otherwise we MIGHT see a mention of it in the forums, but we'd probably miss it. And remember how few geocachers read the forums at all.

You're the only person that can post in that section, Jeremy. icon_smile.gif Use it! icon_smile.gif

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

quote:
Originally posted by martinp13:

Well, that's what the "Geocaching Announcements" section is supposed to be used for. Let us KNOW what you're working on, and what's the next feature in the pipe. Right now that section hasn't been used since March. The pocket query stuff should have been announced there, and everyone could see it. Otherwise we MIGHT see a mention of it in the forums, but we'd probably miss it. And remember how few geocachers read the forums at all.

You're the only person that can post in that section, Jeremy. icon_smile.gif Use it! icon_smile.gif

icon_smile.gif I second that! My one tiny little bone with Jeremy is that they don't communicate what their current plans are publically. Sure, if you email him and let him know that you are interested he is great at getting back to you.

In my mind, I'd like to see at least one posting a week in Geocaching Announcements that gives us a peek into the goings on at Groundspeak and what Jeremy and the crew are working on or towards.

I feel alot like a mushroom right now!

icon_smile.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

I third that suggestion! I didn't even know about the Pocket Query feature until I happened to be reading here one night at work (I don't check the forums that often usually, though). Once I did, and found out that it was a members-only feature - I paid for a year's membership five minutes later!

Keeping the general readership apprised of what's in the works will not only lessen the load on Jeremy's email inbox, but it just might garner more paid memberships for the site - I would have registered even sooner if I'd known about the Pocket Query feature sooner. It's been really great, especially when collecting cache info about areas that I'm just visiting, such as my upcoming vacation