Lost TBs - graveyard ... or resurrection ?

I found out about a TB Graveyard (virtual cache) GC72A8 where one can drop their dearly departed, but it has been archived ...

Does anyone know of another such cache site ?

I feel the need for "closure", the bond between me and my (now lost) bugs was very close .. (cue violins ...)

They have been gone now for 12 long months, and I doubt if they will ever re-surface ... but wait ! would they? could they? Is it possible, is it the done thing, would it be legal, to re-incarnate them once again as Mark 2 ... ?

All I would need to do is buy another replica/or similar and attach a laminated tag, bearing the Unique Code, edit the old Bug's page and voila !

Is this possible ? is it allowed within the rules of the game ?

Is there a second chance for dead bugs ?

or does anybody know of a good therapist who can take the pain away .... sob :blink:

Graveyards used to be where you placed a trackable that had gone, it used to be the only alternative to either leaving the item in your inventory or in a cache forever.

I thought they were locked these days as you can now mark items as missing so the graveyards are no longer needed.

Trackables do appear years after going missing, but you have a choice either mark them as missing and move on; :D or rerelease the tracking number on something else. If the original does reappear you can always get the copy out of circulation again or it gets very messy with two different cachers grabbing the item off the other (virtually.)

It's perfectly OK to resurrect your TB after a suitable period of intense grief with much wringing of teeth and gnashing of hands: A year is the recommended period according to The Groundspeak Almanac of Trackable Etiquette and Ritual Procedures.

If you no longer have the copy tags that came with the bugs just create new tags on laminated card or engraved metal or something. It's good to include the words "Trackable at geocaching.com" on the new tag just so that it's absolutely clear it's a trackable.

You can re-create the original bug or go for something completely different and edit the whole page set-up.

The bug is dead. Long live the bug!

MrsB

They have been gone now for 12 long months, and I doubt if they will ever re-surface ... but wait ! would they? could they? Is it possible, is it the done thing, would it be legal, to re-incarnate them once again as Mark 2 ... ?

Travel bugs never die.

You can change the traveler, name, description, photo, mission/goal, just don't delete the logs of the people who previously assisted your bug.

One year is exactly the time-line to re-release your TB.

Go for it.

If your old bug does surface just pull one out of circulation.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Graveyards used to be where you placed a trackable that had gone, it used to be the only alternative to either leaving the item in your inventory or in a cache forever.

I thought they were locked these days as you can now mark items as missing so the graveyards are no longer needed.

Trackables do appear years after going missing, but you have a choice either mark them as missing and move on; :D or rerelease the tracking number on something else. If the original does reappear you can always get the copy out of circulation again or it gets very messy with two different cachers grabbing the item off the other (virtually.)

THANKS GUSHONEYBUN .. that's great news!

Edited by SatelliteStar

Thanks to all who replied .... It's really good to know that old bugs can 'go round again' especially in this age of recycling and austerity. I think the one year rule is an excellent idea and probably goes a long way in preventing duplicated numbers. Thanks to all once again for responding.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

never say never...2 years later it came "alive" :D

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1724353

re-surfaced after 1 year

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1285939&page=1

re-surfaced after 1 year

That's fine, but try telling someone to wait a year after it's been removed from a cache with no log, two days after they released it. I'll be the first to set off the fireworks for a found missing bug, but I don't put too much stock in it. Or tell people to wait forever or not at all.

re-surfaced after 1 year

3 1/2 years is our record

It's great to hear about lost Travellers being found after months of MIA .. I can only imagine the delight ! My grandmother would have exclaimed "Well I NEVER !!"

Both Nick & Ali's and t4e's stories are amazing ...

Just goes to show that there CAN be unexpected reunions and geocaching is always full of surprises.