Need To Use 2 GPS units - or dual functions

Silly question I guess, having downloaded some caches to my Magellan Explorer, it appears that I have to use my auto GPS to get there, or am I missing something in the Magellan? I can print out driving instructions from the google maps but that defeats the purpose of paperless geocaching. However, given my inexperience with entering co-ordinates in my TomTom I have a feeling that I'll be lost LOL

Does anyone know if there is a dual function GPS, an auto and a geocache ?

thanks

The only one that has true paperless and true driving is the Nuvi 500/550 which I have mentioned on here several times. Most driving GPS are very poor for Geocaching(no paperless, no compass) and most handheld GPS are poor for driving (no routable maps or no voice commands like" turn right up ahead".)

The Nuvi 500/550 are only ones I have seen that do it all. I have a Nuvi 500 and use it for both and it does a great job. The only downside is that it does not have the battery life of some handhelds. I get around 5 hours of caching while many handhelds get 15-20.

I use a Garmin Nuvi 1300 to get me to a parking location near the cache then my Dakota 10 to get to GZ. When i'm loading the GPX file to my Dakota 10 i'm also loading them into my 1300. Not sure if any TomTom will take a GPX file. But there should be a way you can load the caches into the Tom Tom without having to manually input them.

I used my Garmin 60CSX with City Navigator to provide driving directions for many years and it performed well. Not quite as well as a full blown automotive unit, because it didn't have a large screen or voice prompts, but it always got me to where I wanted to go. I'm sure the newer Map 62 and Oregon units would work just as well as long as you have City Navigator.

The Nuvi 500 series is a bit of a compromise. It has the compass, ruggedness and water resistance of a hand held unit. But battery life is short and the replacement batteries are expensive and its kind of uncomfortable to hold in the hand.

I think the best combination is an automotive unit to get you to the parking and a hand held to get you to the cache. I'm sure you can enter coordiantes into your Tom Tom. As long as you can do that it will work.

Edited by briansnat

Silly question I guess, having downloaded some caches to my Magellan Explorer, it appears that I have to use my auto GPS to get there, or am I missing something in the Magellan? I can print out driving instructions from the google maps but that defeats the purpose of paperless geocaching. However, given my inexperience with entering co-ordinates in my TomTom I have a feeling that I'll be lost LOL

thanks

Your TomTom will manage to get you to the area of caches just fine, but isn't very good for actually locating the cache itself. For many reasons, I recommend a good purpose built automotive unit for the car, and something more appropriate to hold in your hands to get you to the cache.

To learn how to best use your TomTom (and model number will help, too -- they're not all the same, after all) for caching, you might want to review this link: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=271098

I used my Garmin 60CSX with City Navigator to provide driving directions for many years and it performed well. Not quite as well as a full blown automotive unit, because it didn't have a large screen or voice prompts, but it always got me to where I wanted to go.

The typical person who has just crossed the 40 year threshold will find that a little screen without voice prompts starts to turn into a real challenge while trying to drive at the same time.

Drivin' and cachin' works very well with my Endura Sierra plus Turn-by-Turn-Map.

Anyhow, I go out for Geocaching in Europe, is anyone using the US version of device +map in the same way like me?

BR, TonyTulip.

thanks

you're not missing anything, its how is done...driving to a place is one thing, your car GPS stays there for that sole purpose, your geocaching GPS goes with you in the field and takes you to the cache...simple

and "paperless caching" has nothing to do with how you get to the location

there's no experience necessary to enter coordinates in the TomTom, simple number punching is all there is to it

there's no experience necessary to enter coordinates in the TomTom, simple number punching is all there is to it

Careful there. They released a number of models that included the dreaded "Easy Menu" GUI that eliminated direct coordinate entry among other things. Avoid ALL of those models.

This looks like a long list, but is really only a small % of the total lineup. For caching, you'll want coordinate entry and the ability to do itineraries, so do not plan to use any of the following:

Ease (Start2 in Europe),

XL335SE, XL335LE, XL335LM,

XL350, XL350T, XL350M, XL350TM, (XL IQRoutes2 in Europe),

XXL550, XXL550T, XXL550M and XXL550TM,

GO2405, GO2505.

There are obviously many other TomTom models that do lend themselves very nicely to the automotive side of getting to a cache. See here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=271098&st=0&p=4704316&hl=tomtom&fromsearch=1entry4704316

The only one that has true paperless and true driving is the Nuvi 500/550 which I have mentioned on here several times.

The only one that's called a nuvi, sure... this unit is very outdated and didn't do either the automotive / geocaching / hiking job very well at all. A cheap Oregon / Dakota / heck, even the 62s plus City Navigator is and was much better at the hiking /car/ geocaching compared to the nuvi 500/550.

The new 500/550 "killer" was announced today, the Montana... however, it is very large and very $$$...but at least they addressed the terrible battery options of the 500/550.

When geocaching, I use my DeLorme PN-40 for both. It would be nice to have voice directions, but beeping when I need to look at the screen to know what I'm about to have to do works. There have been a few times when it's come up with creative driving directions, but the same can be said for my TomTom that sometimes wants me to go the wrong way down one way streets.

In form factor, the Montana probably gets about as close as a handheld GPS is going to get as an 'all purpose' caching GPS without becoming too big for comfortable field use. At 2.9" x 5.7" x 1.4" compared to an Oregon 450 at 2.3" x 4.5" x 1.4", the length of the Montana is pushing it a bit. I'm a little disappointed that with just a bit more glass and case, and one additional AA cell, they show that the Montana 600 comes in 72% heavier than the Oregon 450. When I first got my 450, I thought it was a lot heavier than my Dakota 20 (which it is -- by 62%). Guess that's the price you pay for a screen that's almost big enough for safe use while driving. Bet a lot more people start using lanyards with these.

With turn by turn directions native to the unit, it won't be necessary to keep watching the screen for automotive navigation. Granted, the screen is bigger than it used to be, but necessarily comes in a lot smaller than a typical automotive nav screen. I'll be very curious to hear how good the audio sounds. As with all such devices without Bluetooth or Aux Out features, you're depending on the speaker, and the speakers tend to be small, and have to overcome ambient noise.

I find it interesting that these Montana models all have options for both rechargeable lithium or 3X AA cells as an option. That overcomes one of the big objections many of us have had to the 500/550 with its "proprietary only" battery solution.

In spite of the fact that their 'transflective' (resistive) screen isn't as bright as a capacitive screen, I'm very happy to see they stuck with it. It will allow you to poke the screen with your choice of tools or a gloved hand vs. depending upon your pinkie skin to do the work.

Given the Montana's price, I suspect that I will be using the 62s with city navigator (even though I am over 40), or the iphone (geosphere/Navigon), when I prefer voice directions to a cache, for quite some time. Both have always gotten me where I needed to go.

Careful there. They released a number of models that included the dreaded "Easy Menu" GUI that eliminated direct coordinate entry among other things. Avoid ALL of those models.

This looks like a long list, but is really only a small % of the total lineup. For caching, you'll want coordinate entry and the ability to do itineraries, so do not plan to use any of the following:

Ease (Start2 in Europe),

XL335SE, XL335LE, XL335LM,

XL350, XL350T, XL350M, XL350TM, (XL IQRoutes2 in Europe),

XXL550, XXL550T, XXL550M and XXL550TM,

GO2405, GO2505.

There are obviously many other TomTom models that do lend themselves very nicely to the automotive side of getting to a cache. See here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=271098&st=0&p=4704316&hl=tomtom&fromsearch=1entry4704316

i actually took back the first TomTom i bought because it didn't have the capability to enter coordinates manually and got GO 730, funny enough cheaper too :lol:

I'll be very curious to hear how good the audio sounds. As with all such devices without Bluetooth or Aux Out features, you're depending on the speaker, and the speakers tend to be small, and have to overcome ambient noise.

A hands on review of the Montana has stated you need the optional car mount / headphones to hear the speech.

http://www.t3.com/reviews/transport/gps-and-sat-navs/garmin-montana-650t-review

Edited by Maingray
The only one that has true paperless and true driving is the Nuvi 500/550 which I have mentioned on here several times.

The Magellan eXplorist 710 is true paperless and true driving as well, and is meant to be taken on the trail. As is the recently announced, but not yet available Garmin Montana. The Nuvi line is not intended to be "trail worthy" as it is not waterproof/weatherproof.

--Marky

I'll be very curious to hear how good the audio sounds. As with all such devices without Bluetooth or Aux Out features, you're depending on the speaker, and the speakers tend to be small, and have to overcome ambient noise.

A hands on review of the Montana has stated you need the optional car mount / headphones to hear the speech.

I think this is an excellent design decision. There is no real need for a speaker for spoken directions on the trail, and why carry the excess weight of a good speaker when you don't need it. Offloading it onto the car mount makes sense to me. I wonder if the device can still beep (proximity alarms are useful on the trail).

--Marky

That would be good news -- gives the option of piping the navigation directions through the vehicle audio system in a number of ways. With the windows down and blazing up a forest service road, the internal speakers on most of the vehicle units aren't enough anyway <g>. What's sad is how many of the automotive units have dropped an external audio connection altogether.

That would be good news -- gives the option of piping the navigation directions through the vehicle audio system in a number of ways. With the windows down and blazing up a forest service road, the internal speakers on most of the vehicle units aren't enough anyway <g>. What's sad is how many of the automotive units have dropped an external audio connection altogether.

Yeh. My car has a built in (but removeable) nuvi which wires directly into the car audio.....but I just dislike the nav audio butting into my music. Yet to find a happy medium.

Of course, now I'm curious whether the standard nuvi port built into the car dash is the same receptacle for the Montana....