quick guide to mapping up a delorme pn-60

A friend has gone to the dark side and got a pn-60. :P We would like to see how it works on a little kayak trip tomorrow, but I have not touched delorme maps since someone lifted my pn-20 a few years back. I would hate to spend my one day off this week trying to figure this out so could you give me a quick guide?

A friend has gone to the dark side and got a pn-60. :P We would like to see how it works on a little kayak trip tomorrow, but I have not touched delorme maps since someone lifted my pn-20 a few years back. I would hate to spend my one day off this week trying to figure this out so could you give me a quick guide?

The PN-60 comes with DVDs of maps for the entire US and Canada; you just install those and copy them to the SD card or internal memory. You can use Topo for that if it is easier, but using an SD card reader/writer is faster. I recommend getting a big SD card so you can store them all.

Edited by fizzymagic

If you decide to go the annual map package, your fastest download option will be to download from the link in the email then drop the files into the DeLorme Docs\Downloads. If you decided to have NetLink cut the maps for the PN as well, you'll need to drop those in the Maps directory. Otherwise a custom cut will probably best serve you.

The interface on Topo9 has changed significantly since your PN-20 days. Instead of cutting sections 1-5 for each order, you can now select one large swath of up to 1000 1 minute tiles and NetLink will automaticatlly section them out into five parcels. The stairstepping bug of the cut files for the PN in early days seems to have been taken care of but be sure to test the map file before you leave in the event you run into another issue.

There's a lot of information to be gained at the DeLorme forums and most of the gurus hang out there to help. Although if the weather is as good or better than it is this morning in the Greater Seattle area, you might be left wanting. I just noted the forums seem a little quiet this morning.

Edited by TotemLake