I MADE A HARD CACHE AND NO ONE FOUND IT SO IT GOIT ARCHIEVED!

RiceBrothers

I'm kinda curious too... I think I've gotten at least one of RiceBros' caches - one that was hidden at the base of a tree on some guy's little chunk of farm land near Grove City. It was archived shortly after that - but the other one, with the pully, I see is still there... I thought that might be the one you were talking about. Guess not.

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

Rather then make fun of a typo, I'll try and post some real info here.

I'm guessing he is talking about Marine by RiceBrothers. Judging by the last log there, it would seem prudent to archive it unless there is another, legal approach to the cache.

This cache and the other 2 placed in same area by the same cacher was also the subject of some controversy in this old thread.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Yeah, despite the description saying that the owner of the property doesn't mind - I'd still say that this type of cache isn't a good idea. I'm not talking about the terrain, instead, the idea of placing a cache on private property and then just telling people that they can go get it anyway - it could just lead to problems.

I think any cache on an individual's private property should not be approved. It just seems to me that it could open up a whole new can of worms. What if I wanna go get that cache at 3:00am? Will the property owners mind that I'm on their property then? I dunno... I think the archiving was okay, in this matter.

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

I see problems, too - but...

quote:
August 10 by evileye 0 (152 found)

I was very disappointed when my daughter and I arrived at the cace sight, If you hid the cache where I think you did it is very unsafe for anyone there...without climbing gear...the view was awsome. I think this cache should be archived until it's either moved or a better cheat(if it's not on the side of that cliff)

I hope it wasn't archived because of the first entry. Just the fact that it's on a cliff shouldn't be a reason for archiving. After all there is a 5/5 rating on this cache.

quote:
From the rating standards:

staryellow.gifstaryellow.gifstaryellow.gifstaryellow.gifstaryellow.gif

Extreme

A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache.

stargreen.gifstargreen.gifstargreen.gifstargreen.gifstargreen.gif

Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult.

Sound like it fits that bill.

Now, about that being on private property with "no tresspassing" and "no clibming" signs...

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

"Therapy is expensive but bubble wrap is free."

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Now, about that being on private property with "no tresspassing" and "no clibming" signs...

Well, he does say in the description to go in through the "front", and that the property owner doesn't mind. If that's true, then that shouldn't be a reason for archiving.

The problem I have with caches placed on personal property is the potential for straying onto another party's property without realizing it. It sounds like it was not clear to seekers of The Marine what they really were or were not allowed to do in pursuit of the cache.

I have found a cache on personal property once. It was within 20-25 feet of an intersection of roads, so the chance of straying was minimal as long as both the hider's coords and the hunter's receiver were reasonably accurate (enough to put one on the correct corner). Also there were no fences around it, so there was no issue with wondering if this was a fence I had permission to cross or not. But I am aware of another that had cachers wandering about on adjacent property, much to the property owner's surprise. If you're going to hide on private property, make it painfully clear where any boundaries are and what the cacher can expect to encounter, and stay well away from any location that might draw a cacher to approach across another's property.

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by T-storm:

I have found a cache on personal property once. It was within 20-25 feet of an intersection of roads, so the chance of straying was minimal as long as both the hider's coords and the hunter's receiver were reasonably accurate (enough to put one on the correct corner). Also there were no fences around it, so there was no issue with wondering if this was a fence I had permission to cross or not. But I am aware of another that had cachers wandering about on adjacent property, much to the property owner's surprise. If you're going to hide on private property, make it painfully clear where any boundaries are and what the cacher can expect to encounter, and stay well away from any location that might draw a cacher to approach across another's property.

Its certainly a problem... even multi-caches in cities can be an issue, if the cachers make simple mistakes.

One cache that myself and some family members did involved finding the address of a particular building (it was a historic building) and plugging that into a formula. We ended up circling around a block in a neighborhood, with the coordinates in a likely location down in a ravine area, behind some houses.

We eventually gave up because no reasonable approach could be found... later that day, I was looking at the cache papers in frustration, and realized that the number we had entered in for the address was something like "1812", which looked suspiciously like a year.

Sure enough, the 1812 sign outside the building was the date it was constructed, not its street address. icon_eek.gif

Cache was found in a totally different area of the city, well away from private land, once the numbers were correct.

snazzsig.jpg

quote:
THIS IS BEHIND A PRIVITE PROPERTY YOU HAVE TO ENTER THROUGH THE FRONT OF THE PROPERTY THE OWNER DOES NOT MIND!!!!
Call it semantics, but this is quite different from: The property owner has given permission for people to cross his property to get to the cache.

I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable with the second phrasing. It implies that the owner has given specific permission for cachers to cross the property to access the cache.

The way it is worded now seems to give tacet approval. That's kind of like saying, "I walked on those train tracks for years, and no one's ever bothered me. The train people don't care."

From the requirements page:

quote:
Off-limit (Physical) Caches

We're assuming that you asked permission to post your cache. However, if we see any listing description mentioning ignoring "No Trespassing" signs (or any other obvious issues), your listing will be automatically archived.

There are always exceptions. If your cache fits within these areas, please explain in the description (or hints) of the cache. For example, if you are given permission to place a cache on private property, indicate it in the description.

If indeed, the property owner has given explicit permission for cachers to cross the property to get to the cache, based on what I see on the cache page, it shouldn't be archived. But maybe the cache page should be tweaked.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

"Therapy is expensive but bubble wrap is free."

One thing that bothers me about this archiving, though, is that the cache is presumably still there as geolitter (I recently found this hider's other cache on the island, so I believe the difficult one exists). It's probably out of sight and no worse than any other litter on the island, but we're talking about an island where people get around on horses and in carriages, and cars are off-limits, so it does make me cringe. I do understand why the admins archived it, I'm just upset it had to be done.

I wish I had had the coordinates when I was there, I could have at least taken a look.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

"It doesn't take a nucular scientist to pronounce 'foilage'." --Marge Simpson

If you click the map on the cache page and zoom in close enough, it would appear the cache is in a state park, so there must be a legal way in.

There is most likely no need to cross private property, hence the 5/5 rating. Perhaps the hider was just being nice in his description, giving those who can't handle a 5/5 an easier way to the cache.