Just another random idea... Prize Caches?

sandaals

Just had a little thought and decided to make it known...

I've noticed all the excitement coming up over the Magellan caches, and I thought that maybe it would be cool if we could add a new cache type for this kind of thing.

Some ideas...

The cache page would be significantly different from a standard one. The coordinates would be initially registered with the cache submission, but not revealed to the public until the owner chose do do so. However, the page would show a map marking the general area, much like the thumbnail maps we already have, so that people would know kind-of where it was and could decide if they wanted to try it.

I've always wanted to stick a $50 bill or something in a cache and watch people scramble for it, but I want the cache page to be out a week in advance so people will know about it before the actual coordinates are out. Currently, I believe the only way to do this would be to just put up nonsense coordinates and tell people to ignore them.

If the Geocaching website could accomodate these prize caches or "race" caches, I think it would add a whole new level of fun to the sport.

What-d'ya-think?

Just an idea...

-Greg

Gee Enginuity - Turning great ideas into abandoned projects since 1999

I love the idea-especially if I am the one who gets the 50 bucks! icon_biggrin.gif

I think it's a interesting idea...Well lets wait for the admins responce before we get our hopes up icon_wink.gif

Did you say you want to go on ANOTHER geocacheing trip?

I've been wanting to do something similar to this almost as long as I've been on the site (in other words, I should have done something like this in November/December 2001 when I first thought of my version of this idea.) The main differences are mine wouldn't have the map, the coordinates and map would show up at a later time unknown even to me, and it would not involve $50 (sorry.) I'd just like to have a way to have some pre-approved cache pages that I could quickly activate when the time comes (as long as I don't change coords, etc. that were approved initially.) We'd need some more control over the pages we create so we can select what shows and what doesn't. I'd like it so people know the cache is waiting, but not be able to see the description or map. Another option is to be able to control what the map shows. If you have the map show and don't post coords, they just have to click on the map or other links to find out where it is on the map sites. If you have control, you could show the whole state of WV instead of something centered on a point in Bluefield (or wherever.)

Ok. Does this cause enough trouble for Jeremy and the approvers? If not, I can try again.

Great ideas, MITW&F!

Now if we can just get Jeremy or someone to listen... lol.

As for the $50, I would probably have to get my hands on $50 before I could actually put it in a cache...

Donations are accepted... icon_razz.gif

I suspect such a cache might have trouble being approved here, but why not post it on a local website? It will, after all, be local in nature. I've thought of having a local group of cachers doing private hunts. It would add to the security of the cache and open more possibilities of places to hide them. For example. I might hide one on private property where the owner would be ok with a select few going there. Just keep in mind not to reference www.geocaching.com or the word geocaching or geocache, so it in no way shows a connection with this site. IMO.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

I'm sure a local website would help with some caches like this, but the ones I wanted to do would have covered a large area, often being found by people out of state. It would be a series of caches with each cache unlocking the next. The coordinates for the 2nd cache would be included in the first cache, etc. Once you find one cache, you could find the second cache before it's listed. Once they log the find online and list the coordinates, I'd list the next cache. The caches would be spread out enough that no one person/team would be likely to be first to find them all. Once unlocked, they'd stay available to everyone.

quote:
Originally posted by sandaals:

Some ideas...

The cache page would be significantly different from a standard one. The coordinates would be initially registered with the cache submission, but not revealed to the public until the owner chose do do so. However, the page would show a map marking the general area, much like the thumbnail maps we already have, so that people would know kind-of where it was and could decide if they wanted to try it.

Don't see much point in the map thing. How long does it take to figure out if something's in your area or not? Thirty seconds? Kinda pointless.

As for prize caches, that's nothing new. "Just do it."

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Don't see much point in the map thing

Well, we would just need some way of showing the general location without giving away exactly where it is. I was thinking there would be a small (like 100x100 px.) map centered on the general area but without any kind of a marker.

Anybody have some other ideas about how we could give a hint about the general location?

You can just place a regular cache and have a really nice prize for the first finder. You can announce that it will be posted in your regional forums, so people can keep a eye out for it.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

You can just place a regular cache and have a really nice prize for the first finder. You can announce that it will be posted in your regional forums, so people can keep a eye out for it.

Even better:

Place a regular cache with a really nice prize for the first finder, and DON'T post it. If you announce that there is going to be something nice in it, then people are going to be hitting your cache just for that reason. I rather like the idea of rewarding the first person who finds your cache, just because they wanted to find your cache.

One person I've cached with does sorta the same thing. He leaves $20 for the next finder in caches that are "milestone finds" for him. He doesn't make a big deal of it, or initially mention it in the logs. It's just a real nice surprise for the next person who finds the cache.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

These are all great ideas, but I think you're maybe missing the point. I wanna get a lot of people excited about something and watch them rush for it.

Currently, the best way to go about doing this, as far as I know, is to post a cache page (maybe as an event cache) with coords only accurate to the degree (or to a level of precision specified by the hider) and a name like "REALLY BIG COOL PRIZE" and display when the coordinates will be revealed, then, at the specified time, edit the cache page to reflect the actual coordinates.

If we had a seperate cache type for this:

People could easily tell that there is a "race" cache in their area because of the icon, and could search for race caches coming up

The coordinates would be pre-registered in the system and automatically displayed at a preset time

The cache page would display coordinates only accurate to a level set by the hider, so that seekers know the general location and whether they have a chance at it

The general area coordinates would be labeled as an approximate location and not available for download. That way, spontaneous cachers wouldn't inadvertently try to go after it and end up in a field somewhere

Doesn't anyone else think we need a seperate cache type for this kind of an event?

I despise caches that involve a race to the prize, and will continue to discourage them. If you want to create an event cache and have a race there, fine.

Frankly it's ludicrous. If I place a cache anywhere in the US there is always someone at an advantage to arriving at that location first.

Don't expect the geocaching.com site to accomodate these kinds of caches.

If you like to watch people scramble for cash, join or watch a reality show.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

Jeremy hit the nail on the head. Hold an event and have the people gather in one place, then give them the coordinates, clues or whatever. At least it sounds more fair.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
These are all great ideas, but I think you're maybe missing the point. I wanna get a lot of people excited about something and watch them rush for it.

Currently, the best way to go about doing this, as far as I know, is to post a cache page (maybe as an event cache) with coords only accurate to the degree (or to a level of precision specified by the hider) and a name like "REALLY BIG COOL PRIZE" and display when the coordinates will be revealed, then, at the specified time, edit the cache page to reflect the actual coordinates.

There was one in NJ about a year ago that generated a lot of excitement. I doubt it would be approved these days exactly as it was done (esp. in light of Jeremy's remarks above), but here was the scoop.

The person placed 10 caches throughout the state, each one with a "gold bar" engraved with a code number (These caches were one time only, but now would have to be permanent to be approved).

He announced the placement of these caches in the regional forums and told everybody to keep an eye out for an announcement of when they'd be posted. As soon as he made the announcement, the race was on.

Each person who found a "gold" bar was to e-mail him with the code number on the bar. That person would then receive the coordinates to their personal cache, which had something nice in it. Geocaching.com t-shirts, hats, etc...

Once all 10 bars were accounted for, the 10 finders were to be e-mailed the a puzzle that when solved would provide the coordinates to a grand prize cache with a single, "very nice" item. That stage was never completed as far as I know, but the whole thing generated a lot of excitement in NJ and eastern PA.

The odd thing was that the person who came up with the idea only had one find and a handful of other hides and promptly disappeared from the local geocaching scene (though I do see he visited this website as recently as May).

Here is a link to a website he made for the event and here is a photo of one of the bars and a personal cache.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Well, if Jeremy doesn't like it, I won't push it any further. I respect his views.

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't exactly have any kind of a good prize to put in a cache anyway.

Thanks for your opinions everyone.

-Greg