Dangerous cache

This cache exposes seekers to DHMO, the dangers of which have been well documented here.

The cache listing does provide warning, but many people might not read the cache page and thus find themselves unwittingly exposed.

Should this cache be archived to protect cachers from exposure?

Didn't click the link as it showed to be external, but i did do a quick check.

This is indeed scary and should be brought to everyone's attention. :blink::o:laughing:

This cache exposes seekers to DHMO, the dangers of which have been well documented here.

The cache listing does provide warning, but many people might not read the cache page and thus find themselves unwittingly exposed.

Should this cache be archived to protect cachers from exposure?

No need to archive if only attempted by appropriate geocachers. Here is the MSDS for those interested

Note that this material is composed of 100% volatiles. It may react vigorously with some substances (elemental Na comes to mind)

The LD50 (per oral) for rats is >90mL/Kg so if you are a rat I suggest moderation :rolleyes:

I think its OK, but I live life on the edge. I do think the D rating should be 5 to note "special equipment required", specifically PPE (personal protective equipment) appropriate for being near DHMO during thermal extremes and/or atmospheric fallout conditions.

No, shouldn't be archived. Did you know that everything is dangerous? Everything! Nothing is safe!

Alright, I don't want to mess with the stuff, but I can't help but wonder if A) the person is exagerating for the sake of the cache page or B ) wore their tinfoil hat to place the cache. There are bad things/substances in everything you touch. To shed light on just one of them that lurks in so many places....

And how did this get past the "agenda" guideline?

I have been known to ingest it regularly ...

Yeah me too, most of the time the body is able to deal with it just fine, without any adverse effects. However, when combined with Hydroxyethane it can have quite dramatic effects on you. Not recommended in large quantities, even though some people are known to intentionally abuse this combination :unsure:

No, shouldn't be archived. Did you know that everything is dangerous? Everything! Nothing is safe!

Alright, I don't want to mess with the stuff, but I can't help but wonder if A) the person is exagerating for the sake of the cache page or B ) wore their tinfoil hat to place the cache. There are bad things/substances in everything you touch. To shed light on just one of them that lurks in so many places....

I'm guessing that "humour" doesn't fall under the agenda guideline. :rolleyes:

Cache publication date was sooo close to being an "appropriate" date. :lol:

istockphoto_1785860-hook-line-and-sinker.jpg

LOL.

This stuff is so poisonous that the people in the movie Signs were able to defeat the evil invading aliens by splashing small quantities of the chemical on them! Good thing they had some of it on hand!

The hazards of DHMO were well known in the movies before that. As far back as 1939 there was a movie where the protagonist was not just injured or killed, but totally dissolved, merely by being exposed to it. Nothing left but a broom.

Nasty stuff I tell you.

LOL.

This stuff is so poisonous that the people in the movie Signs were able to defeat the evil invading aliens by splashing small quantities of the chemical on them! Good thing they had some of it on hand!

The hazards of DHMO were well known in the movies before that. As far back as 1939 there was a movie where the protagonist was not just injured or killed, but totally dissolved, merely by being exposed to it. Nothing left but a broom.

Nasty stuff I tell you.

And to think I let my kids watch that movie. :o What a world, what a world.

I have been known to ingest it regularly ...

Yeah me too, most of the time the body is able to deal with it just fine, without any adverse effects. However, when combined with Hydroxyethane it can have quite dramatic effects on you. Not recommended in large quantities, even though some people are known to intentionally abuse this combination :unsure:

DHMO does not have to be combined with hydroxyethane to cause death. DHMO intoxication can be fatal.

Interested parties can review this

abstract

bflentje: I contributed some of that early material (on the ARPAnet) it goes back further than you might guess. I think the Marx brothers are still funny :anitongue:

This one was funny back in 1992 when the Internet was near it's start (with the public at large). Time for some new material. :blink:
Complaining about how we need new material is so 1980's. It's time for you to find a new thing to complain about.

Like how DHMO has ruined many a geocache. If the government won't do anything about it, at least Groundspeak should!

I call for a new guideline: All geocaches listed on this site should have containers able to withstand exposure to DHMO.

Who's with me?

That was my question. I have understood that the agenda guideline has a fairly large sweep that encompasses a great many things. I suppose it is better to keep us all happy than to inform about our understanding of the world about us. Indeed, upon the advice of my optometrist, I use a magnetic system to filter my water for DMHO. Against the advice of my optometrist, I agree with the esteemed Mr. Fields about its dangers, which even filtering cannot completely solve. Fortunately, if you transform it into beer or mix it with coffee it becomes harmless.

Even then, it would not surprise me if my town had an ordinance against the stuff - since we address pesticides, nuclear energy, plastic bags, and cell phone towers -- than can we possibly overlook this?

Although this cache gives rise to other possible themes. . . . don't try to publish an Aspartame cache.

Edited by mulvaney

What is DHMO?

What is the cache gc number?

I must be missing something here........ :unsure:

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,

. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,

. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,

. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,

. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}

. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}

. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./

. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./

. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./

. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/

. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}

. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../

. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../

. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”

. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\

. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__

,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,

. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\

. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--

You know, scientists have specuulated that a lot of the DHMO present in the world has extraterrestrial origin. Mostly from comets striking the earth.

So not only is that stuff downright dangerous, it's also a byproduct of those darn space aliens using our planet for target practice! Gosh darn it, where is Vinny when you need him??

<_<:angry::blink::mad::o

We were out of coffee this morning! My kids were driving me nuts! Uh.....

Okay, I'm got. :laughing:

<_<:angry::blink::mad::o

We were out of coffee this morning! My kids were driving me nuts! Uh.....

Okay, I'm got. :laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing: