GPS Jamming

Dates jamming will take place: 31/05/2011 - 10/06/2011

Time periods during which jamming will take place: Periodically Mon- Fri 09:00 - 17:30

Details of Jamming.

a. Location of MULTIPLE jammers: Land based within 5km of N52° 00.881’ W003° 38.518’ (SN873365 – Dixie’s Corner).

b. Frequencies: 24 MHz bands centred around 1176.45 MHz (L5), 1227.60MHz (L2) and 1575.42MHz (L1).

c. Total Power: Up to 100 Watts EIRP. Whenever possible the transmissions will be at lower powers.

d. Jammers: Both omni and directional jammers to minimise affected areas.

e. Affected areas will be line of sight from the jammers for land based GPS receivers.

Dates jamming will take place: 31/05/2011 - 10/06/2011

Time periods during which jamming will take place: Periodically Mon- Fri 09:00 - 17:30

Details of Jamming.

a. Location of MULTIPLE jammers: Land based within 5km of N52° 00.881’ W003° 38.518’ (SN873365 – Dixie’s Corner).

b. Frequencies: 24 MHz bands centred around 1176.45 MHz (L5), 1227.60MHz (L2) and 1575.42MHz (L1).

c. Total Power: Up to 100 Watts EIRP. Whenever possible the transmissions will be at lower powers.

d. Jammers: Both omni and directional jammers to minimise affected areas.

e. Affected areas will be line of sight from the jammers for land based GPS receivers.

hello, excuse my ignorance so why would jamming happen in the first place,i thought jamming might be illegal,could you explain for us all. patandjeff=bones1.

It'll prob be the millitary testing their toys. They tend to make the details public for people who's lives might depend on it, pilots & mountain rescue etc, and then the info makes it's way to those of us who might end up with more DNFs than normal.

There seem to be 2 reasons for these tests.

1) GPS Jamming can be used by the military to confuse smart bombs or enemies - presumably they have to test their techniques or hardware somewhere to make sure it works.

2) There are also illegal GPS jammers being used by criminals who want to defeat tracking devices, so presumably police forces need to test their anti-jamming technology.

These tests are taking place near Maescar, Llandovery; previous tests have taken place in Cornwall.

Chris

hello, excuse my ignorance so why would jamming happen in the first place,i thought jamming might be illegal,could you explain for us all. patandjeff=bones1.

I don't think jamming or the jammers you can buy are themselves illegal... it's why/what you use them for. A bit like the compact cassette deck (showing my age there.)

Fairly impressive to jam a line of sight signal... which is a whole other ball game to jamming a transmission from a car by a GPS based tracking device. Mobile phones are easy to block, as are most radio signals... my car stereo has a knack for jamming itself... luckily I tend to have my iPod hooked in!

Would be fun to jam GPS in the direct area of a cache and make a letterbox hybrid that forced you onto map and compass... but don't know where I'd fit a car 12v supply and cigarette lighter in the wild! Bigger versions are very expensive!

I don't think jamming or the jammers you can buy are themselves illegal... it's why/what you use them for. A bit like the compact cassette deck (showing my age there.)

You're quite right - it is not illegal to buy or possess a GPS signal jammer, just as it's not illegal to buy or possess a police radar detector in some countries.

However....their unauthorised useis an offence :blink::rolleyes:

You're quite right - it is not illegal to buy or possess a GPS signal jammer, just as it's not illegal to buy or possess a police radar detector in some countries.

However....their unauthorised useis an offence :blink::rolleyes:

The laws around the world surrounding GPS are quite strange... if they are capable of positioning at over 500(ish) mph they are classed as weapons... which is kind of pointless as it's to stop them being put on ballistic missiles... but if the person wanting them has the capability to add GPS to a ballistic missile, they probably also have the ability to build cruise missiles that can, theoretically use standard aviation GPSr as they travel slower than the limit.

Not much use for geocaching though I guess, apart from finding those trick underground ones!

Edited by NattyBooshka

It looks as though it's on the army's Sennybridge training area.

"An extensive area of land to the north of Sennybridge is used by the Ministry of Defence for military training purposes. Sennybridge Camp and Army Field Training Centre, known as SENTA, is one of the major bases for Infantry Warfare Training by the British Army in the UK." - Wikipedia

Edited by The Patrician

Maybe they're practising getting lost? Another Chris Ryan book coming!

..or maybe they've got some trainees out on an exercise in the wild, and want to test their 'real' navigation skills..!

Maybe they're practising getting lost? Another Chris Ryan book coming!

..or maybe they've got some trainees out on an exercise in the wild, and want to test their 'real' navigation skills..!

Oh my god... Squadies lost... Err... Maybe the GC community can rescue them en route to the Mega?