Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
srumrill

Feature request - Search caches by type

Recommended Posts

Please, Jeremy, please.

 

Can't we just add one more search attibute to the advanced search page? With only 7 different types of caches, it shouldn't add too much load to the database.

 

I am a premium member, and I know that I can do this with PocketQueries, but I would love to be able to do this search on the fly through the regular search function, and not have to wait until my query is e-mailed to me.

 

Scott

Share this post


Link to post

I find it typically only takes a few minutes to get a new PQ mailed to you, so why not just use that?

 

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

Share this post


Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by srumrill:

With only 7 different types of caches


Actually, there are *TEN* types of caches:

type_traditional_sm.gif Traditional

type_multi_sm.gif Multi

type_virtual_sm.gif Virtual

type_letterbox_sm.gif Letterbox

type_event_sm.gif Event

type_webcam_sm.gif Webcam

type_unknown_sm.gif Unknown

type_locationless_sm.gif Locationless

type_projectape_sm.gif Project APE

type_cito_sm.gif Cache In Trash Out

(Small cache type icons courtesy of the Watcher help, of course.)

quote:
I am a premium member, and I know that I can do this with PocketQueries, but I would love to be able to do this search on the fly through the regular search function, and not have to wait until my query is e-mailed to me.
I cannot give you "through the regular search function". I can, however, give you "on the fly". Just setup a regular PQ, and when you'd like to filter on cache type, just open up your regularly scheduled GPX file in Watcher and set any of the cache type filters you'd like to set. Since you're already a contributing member, all you need to do is download the latest version of Watcher (which, incidentally, came out last night and includes support for the new CITO cache type).

 

(Get Watcher via the link below, and if there's any feature that you see missing, please let me know... I'm always taking suggestions.)

 

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

Share this post


Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by LilDevil:

I find it typically only takes a few minutes to get a new PQ mailed to you, so why not just use that?


 

Even after I edit or create a new custom query, I only get the one a day, and it's usually hours later. Bummer.

Share this post


Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

I cannot give you "through the regular search function". I can, however, give you "on the fly". Just setup a regular PQ, and when you'd like to filter on cache type, just open up your regularly scheduled GPX file in Watcher and set any of the cache type filters you'd like to set. Since you're already a contributing member, all you need to do is download the latest version of Watcher (which, incidentally, came out last night and includes support for the new CITO cache type).


 

ClayJar, I think your application looks fantastic, but I have an Apple Mac, so I can't use it. THIS is why I would like the ability to search for caches by type in the regular search.

 

Can anybody that works on this site provide any feedback as to if this might be doable? In the planning process?

Share this post


Link to post

quote:
Originally posted by srumrill:

ClayJar, I think your application looks fantastic, but I have an Apple Mac, so I can't use it. THIS is why I would like the ability to search for caches by type in the regular search.


Unfortunately, I think this is going to end up as yet another case of not having a large enough user base. (A "large enough" user base is defined as the number of users you need in order to have at least one of them be a developer with the same interests as you.)

 

Perhaps once the long-anticipated New Site is released, this will be added, but I'd be willing to say that the likelihood of it being added before then is probably indistinguishable from nil. I know of several Mac-using cachers, but unfortunately, I don't know of any who are both capable and interested in developing a Mac analogue of Watcher, so that's no help either.

 

(I hate to post a "Sorry, we can't help you now" message, but I have a feeling that, at least for the time being, you're out of luck. Jeremy has said before that the new site should be up in the April-May area, so you might get it soon, but you might need to go scuba for a while, since breath-holding may have adverse effects.)

 

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks ClayJar. I didn't even know there was a new website design rolling out. Is there anything in the forums about it? I would love to know what features are going to be part of the site. Also, how would I be able to specifically request this feature as a part of the new site?

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

×
×
  • Create New...