Portland Cache Machine II

travisl

(Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts (with the Posted Image icon) in this thread for all the important details and changes.) (Link to dinner event cache.)

Portland: Whether you call it the Rose City, Stumptown, or just PDX, it's got a lot of caches.

This will be the first cache machine event that I've live-tweeted. Follow @pdxcm2; the hashtag for your tweets is #PDXCM2. (Note that I've deleted the FAQ about FRS radios. I don't think anybody's getting value from that any more.)

Fill up the tank, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and meet a mob of fellow cachers at sunrise on Saturday, June 25, at 5:00 a.m.

Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt.

If you're still out on the road at dinner time (8:30 p.m.), skip the rest of the route and come on in. Socializing at dinner is one of the best parts of machine events (and that's coming from me -- someone who usually hates socializing). There will be travel bugs to discover, a buffet to gorge yourself, and more geocachers to commiserate with than you can shake a walking stick at. The most important rule:

As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it.

For any micro cache with a tiny logbook that we find on the event, one "PCM2" log entry should suffice for the group. We tend to fill up log books too quickly, and our stickers tend to make micro log books hard to re-stash. For normal-sized caches, or even large micros (like key holders and pill bottles), everyone should sign in.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page.

----

The Portland Cache Machine II FAQ:

When is it?

5:00 a.m., Saturday, June 25, 2011. Latecomers can track us down en route.

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

We start the day as one giant group. Then it's on to the next one as a group, which means we'll hopefully find each cache quickly. The group tends to fragment after the first few caches, though. The longer we can keep the big group together, the more fun it is!

Where does the route start?

I should have the final route posted on Monday, June 20. It's likely, however, that it will start in the IKEA parking lot east of the airport.

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

- Friday, June 24, at 6:00 p.m.: A pre-CM dinner will be at Brick House Pizza, 6744 NE Sandy Blvd, N 45.546486°, W 122.593440°. We'll mingle and discuss last minute changes. Keep an eye on the thread below in case this changes.

- Saturday, June 25, at 8:30 p.m., dinner will be at Home Town Buffet, 10542-A SE Washington Street. (N 45° 31.038 W 122° 33.342). I've created an event page for this dinner event.

- Sunday, sleep in and then get the caches you didn't get on Saturday. Did I mention there's a lot of them?

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park.

Let me know, and I'll incorporate it into the route.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet.

You don't have X cache on the route. Why aren't we getting that one?

I'm skipping a lot. I'll be avoiding most multicaches, most puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived/a two mile hike.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or will check with the owner (if disabled).

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area.

By all means, let me know. I'll work with the cache owner to minimize our impact, or skip the cache altogether.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route.

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this.

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

Lunch: You should probably bring a sack lunch to eat on the road.

Breaks and Bathrooms: There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. :-P Or find something on the way.

Rain? Snow? Landslides? Flooding?

Could be. Do what you safely can, and skip ahead when reality or your capabilities don't match the plan. Be prepared and flexible.

What do the map symbols mean?

ce16d180-40c2-423d-a3ab-b976b7b4a2b2.jpg

Edited by travisl

Greetings!

Of course I've been waiting for this!

A little worried about what gas prices will be (because it's so far away) but it would let me work on some WDC pages on the way. Also, I may have found a fellow co-worker that may be interested in attending. He just moved to Seattle and has to settle-in first.

As always, I'm looking for a ride, as doing a Cache Machine with a group is far more fun than caching alone [:D]

Fuzzywhip

Bookmark for Draft 1 is complete. When the event publishes I'll put the link on the page.

No real problem caches pop out, a few might be a bit questionable, we will see what the next draft looks like.

A hot bed of PMO caches though. Regular members will have to skip or get the coordinates from pm members. Regular members can log the PMO caches with geocachingadmin.com or express logger.

PMO caches ...

#15 GC275VY

#19 GC2ME40

#20 GC2KDFQ

#22 GC24D6K

#26 GC2M1C0

#27 GC2EZ16

#30 GC2NJCG

#32 GC2HCY1

#44 GC2CG5W

#48 GC2E7PH

#50 GC2K0FF

#51 GC2J29D

#52 GC2KAF8

#53 GC2HT3D

#55 GC21MBH

#57 GC2HQB9

#58 GC2HRVG

#61 GC2HTVX

#64 GC28VK1

#65 GC28VJR

#72 GC2K8B8

#73 GC2M1BY

#77 GC21N6Z

#83 GC2BNY3

#87 GC2GJZK

#89 GC2GRGK

#91 GC2MQGY

#92 GC2HBDA

#94 GC2M1C4

#104 GC2DZ78

#118 GC2FC04

#120 GC2RWBC

#127 GC2A3M1

#130 GC2PVD5

#132 GC2EZDX

#137 GC2N3BM

#140 GC2QXWT

#142 GC2K4YJ

#143 GC2G5MW

#144 GC2RWB4

#145 GC2RWB7

Edit: Bookmark posted on event page.

Edited by jholly

jholly, Thank you once again for putting together the bookmark list for this cache machine. I did notice that #122 - Railed 1 (GC1PB8B) is a "little" off route and might present a problem to those of us without access to a local worm hole as it is located in West Virginia!! I believe you meant to use Pick Up a Gallon, says Little Nemesis (GC2PB8B) and just mis-typed the "2". That would be a much better option for those of us technologically-impaired cachers. :) Just thought I'd give you a heads up and really do mean it when I say thanks for the work in composing the Bookmark!

jholly, Thank you once again for putting together the bookmark list for this cache machine. I did notice that #122 - Railed 1 (GC1PB8B) is a "little" off route and might present a problem to those of us without access to a local worm hole as it is located in West Virginia!! I believe you meant to use Pick Up a Gallon, says Little Nemesis (GC2PB8B) and just mis-typed the "2". That would be a much better option for those of us technologically-impaired cachers. :) Just thought I'd give you a heads up and really do mean it when I say thanks for the work in composing the Bookmark!

You don't carry a portable worm hole in your bag as a tool-of-the-trade? :unsure: Really? :huh: Well, just for you I'll fix it up. Thanks for the catch. :)

Edit: And thank you for the kind words, I'm glad folks find it useful.

Edited by jholly

For what it's worth, I just got my room at the Comfort Inn and Suites Portland Airport. I got lucky using Priceline's "name your own price" (2½ stars, airport zone).

For a bid of $30 per night, ($35 including a $5 bonus cash offer I got in today's e-mail), the grand out-of-pocket total, including taxes, is $76.68. Not too shabby, especially with free breakfast (for Sunday) and free wi-fi. It gets pretty good reviews on TripAdvisor. Your mileage may vary.

I would just like to extend my thanks to travisl for putting these Cache Machines together. My first one was Centralia/Chehalis and I had a blast (even in the rain)! Also thanks to jholly for putting together and updating the bookmark list. Bikely, Big__Don, and I did the Wenatchee II CM this past weekend since we couldn't make the actual event. The bookmark list was a lifesaver!

Is it feasible or advisable for folks to join in the fun for only a few hours if they can't spend the whole day out there?

Sorry if this is a stupid question - CM virgin here. I have no idea what to expect but unfortunately I don't have the whole day available (much as I would like to). But being that this is in my hometown, I figured it might be a good CM to lose my virginity on. :D

Is it feasible or advisable for folks to join in the fun for only a few hours if they can't spend the whole day out there?

Sorry if this is a stupid question - CM virgin here. I have no idea what to expect but unfortunately I don't have the whole day available (much as I would like to). But being that this is in my hometown, I figured it might be a good CM to lose my virginity on. :D

There is no one taking tickets or keeping track of your progress. The cache machine is what you make of it, you can do how ever many of the caches you wish. You can join where ever and leave where ever. You can drive around the expected area to find cachers or you can go it alone. The only real need to be at a certain place at a certain time is the dinner in the evening. The Moses Lake CM I started Friday afternoon, knocked off and went to the pre event dinner, and picked up where I left off the next day. It wasn't until about 2pm before I started to run into CM folks.

There is no one taking tickets or keeping track of your progress. The cache machine is what you make of it, you can do how ever many of the caches you wish. You can join where ever and leave where ever. You can drive around the expected area to find cachers or you can go it alone. The only real need to be at a certain place at a certain time is the dinner in the evening. The Moses Lake CM I started Friday afternoon, knocked off and went to the pre event dinner, and picked up where I left off the next day. It wasn't until about 2pm before I started to run into CM folks.

Thanks jholly. I'm looking forward to it. B)

JHolly's nailed it exactly. It seems like everyone has their own strategy and style for the CM. Some start the route the day before. Some sleep in. Some start at midnight. Many start at the start time.

Some folks pick and choose the caches they do on the route. Some follow the route exactly. Some start in the middle. Some run the route backwards. Some ignore the route and make their own way. Some just show up for dinner. Some cache through dinner in a quest to complete the entire route. Some bail out for coffee, lunch, and nap breaks.

Your mileage will vary, but you'll have a good time regardless of how you do it.

JHolly's nailed it exactly. It seems like everyone has their own strategy and style for the CM. Some start the route the day before. Some sleep in. Some start at midnight. Many start at the start time.

Some folks pick and choose the caches they do on the route. Some follow the route exactly. Some start in the middle. Some run the route backwards. Some ignore the route and make their own way. Some just show up for dinner. Some cache through dinner in a quest to complete the entire route. Some bail out for coffee, lunch, and nap breaks.

Your mileage will vary, but you'll have a good time regardless of how you do it.

Thanks for the guidance. I really appreciate it and I can tell how much time and effort you put into each CM. Very cool.

So tell me...does anyone ever get ALL of the caches on the route in the one day? Phew...I'm tired just reading the itinerary! :lol:

So tell me...does anyone ever get ALL of the caches on the route in the one day? Phew...I'm tired just reading the itinerary! :lol:

There are some *VERY* dedicated cachers that show up for these events. They have *VERY* high counts by the end of the day. They also have very big bladders. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the guidance. I really appreciate it and I can tell how much time and effort you put into each CM. Very cool.

The simple answer is yes.

I am in one of those groups that jholly made mention of, We are a bit nuts its true and the level of preparation that we put in is getting a bit extreme. I admit that we usually do the first few the night before to get a jump on the main group. I create a text file from GSAK of all the caches that gets spiral bound along with the route, then the entire route is Google checked to try to pre-locate as much as possible, ie in a guardrail or a lampskirt and to check parking and access. Those notes are loaded as well. Then we have a driver who has no fear, the driver also reorders the caches in his GPS so that they are numbered so that when he searches for the next one on the route they come up in numeric order. As a group we have stickers that we used (although we have upgraded to a stamp if I can find where I left it) and we also have a lot of practice as we have only missed a few.

That said we stop for lunch and pit stops and above all we have a LOT of fun. Also the routes are usually more like 90 caches not 150. I doubt we will get all of these this time on Saturday, so we will probably finish up on Sunday instead.

As a group we have stickers that we used (although we have upgraded to a stamp if I can find where I left it) and we also have a lot of practice as we have only missed a few.

Yes, a stamp please. I learned on Route 66 that stickers suck, but not quite as much as small pieces of paper.

Draft 2 is up, with

Skinny Digits #6 just got found, so no need for a change there.

Any more advice? Keep it coming!

#25 GC1PQ7Q Hang on Sloughpy!! is not reachable by the route you show. It's on a finger of land between the lake and a branch of the slough that runs *behind* the building on the south side of Colfax street. Also, they've fenced in the buildings so you can't even *try* to get to it from the part of Colfax your route shows.

You have to go to the end of Colfax and hike along a trail, then take a side branch.

That same trail *ends* (or starts) between caches 19 & 20. It's a slightly longer hike, but it'd avoid doubling back. The Northwest Trails ( http://www.switchbacks.com/nwtrails/ ) map addon has the trail marked (I'm the one who submitted it :-)

I normally cache by bike, but if I do the CM, I could use a ride.For reference to any potential ride givers, I live a couple blocks from my The Orange & The Green cache...

#23 GC29HNW A View (The Claw) is not exactly reachable from the parking listed. Nearest approach by *foot* is at NE 92nd & Webster due to cyclone fences. It's on chunk of land that's fenced on 3 sides.

A possible alternate routing is the fact that you can drive from #28 to #37. That stub of road that extends from #37 towards #28 actually connects. From there you could go to #36, #35, #34, #33, #32, #31 and maybe #30 with a bit of backtracking.

#43 may be difficult dealing with as a group. Last time I looked, it seemed to be inside a fenced area requiring access thru a business.

#51 & #52. It's possible to walk between them as there's a pedestrian underpass beneath that that road that seperates them. That'd save making an extra stop. Just park for one and walk to the other.

#122 requires skinny people or contortionists. I did manage FTF in it, and I'm 6' and over 300#. But it was a royal pain. :-)

#132 is going to take a *lot* longer than you've listed. The cache is the equivalent of several *blocks* inside the cemetary, not counting the stuff you have to look for to find it. Also, I'm pretty sure the cemetary is locked up by that time.

#136 is better approached from 74th & Wygant. There's a school there, with an entrance to the park. The folks at the end of 76th got *really* irritated by caches when there was a cache at that end of the park. I think there's also an entrance at the end of 75th, but the one at 74th & Wygant is going to be the closest.

I do not recommend # 142 for folks who a\re scared of heights. Uless you bushwhack to it, the trail runs *literally* along the edge of the cliff if you start from one end, and only 3 feet or so from the edge if you approach from the other end.

#143 is not reachable from #142. There's a cliff in the way. You *can* get there, but you need to take a rather long hike that goes way out of the way. Or bring rock climbing gear. !42 is best approached from the end of Skidmore, which would be a substantial detour.

#145 is way down the hill from #144. Lots of brush and a substantial climb. Proper approach is from the entrance to Portland Bible College which is at that little stub extending from 91st. Alternatively, the other end of the trail is up by #147. But the first time I went looking for #145, I couldn't find it, and I climbed to the top of the trail rather than try climbing *down* several segments of it. *Not* recommended that folks try from the upper end!

#146 is another "bottom of the cliff" situation. Not reachable from the road you have folks on.

#152 is going to have parking problems.

Sorry to be such a downer on some of those, but I've been there and it's really a problem. Hope my routing suggestions are useful.

ps:. Here's a link to a map view that shows the situation with Hang on Sloughpy. http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=45.56565630504935&lng=-122.56152391433716&zm=17&mt=m

The cache is on the south side of the bit of slough. And the trial that connects Colfax and Simpson runs roughly down the middle of the vertical section of green

I am either totally missing it, but have you published the Portland II CM page yet.

The event page is linked in post #1, the draft #2 route is linked in post #25 and the bookmark is linked on the event page.

Thanks I was totally missing it on the forums and website. Both on watch list know.

Draft 2 is up, with

#25 GC1PQ7Q Hang on Sloughpy!! is not reachable by the route you show. It's on a finger of land between the lake and a branch of the slough that runs *behind* the building on the south side of Colfax street. Also, they've fenced in the buildings so you can't even *try* to get to it from the part of Colfax your route shows.

You have to go to the end of Colfax and hike along a trail, then take a side branch.

That same trail *ends* (or starts) between caches 19 & 20. It's a slightly longer hike, but it'd avoid doubling back. The Northwest Trails ( http://www.switchbacks.com/nwtrails/ ) map addon has the trail marked (I'm the one who submitted it :-)

I normally cache by bike, but if I do the CM, I could use a ride.For reference to any potential ride givers, I live a couple blocks from my The Orange & The Green cache...

My son, Christopher, and I parked at the end of the road and the beginning of the trail for "Hang on Sloughpy!!" It was an extemely muddy, slippery, narrow trail a little over a half mile round trip. I found a long branch for a walking stick that saved me from falling down several times on the way to the cache. I rebelled when my son told me that I had to go back the way that I came in! The trail ahead looked so much better. On my way back I did slip in the mud and fall. The trail was overgrown with blackberry vines which will only get worse. Definitely bring garden clippers and a walking stick. And hope for sun to dry out the trail. This is definitely NOT a biking trail.

Edited by Rose Red

Draft 2 is up, with

My son, Christopher, and I parked at the end of the road and the beginning of the trail for "Hang on Sloughpy!!" It was an extemely muddy, slippery, narrow trail a little over a half mile round trip. I found a long branch for a walking stick that saved me from falling down several times on the way to the cache. I rebelled when my son told me that I had to go back the way that I came in! The trail ahead looked so much better. On my way back I did slip in the mud and fall. The trail was overgrown with blackberry vines which will only get worse. Definitely bring garden clippers and a walking stick. And hope for sun to dry out the trail. This is definitely NOT a biking trail.

You can bike the trail between Colfax and GC1QWAY Reappearing RR Smiles: MAX

Red Line. Biking the offshoot that leads to Hang on Slouphy is a non-starter. I just take the bike far enough to be out of sight from the main trail lock it to a trre, then walk the rest.

And no, the trail gets *worse* if you continue down it. You have to climb over *several* fallen trees at one point, and it seems to dead end in a homeless camp rather farther from the cache than the cache is from the main trail.

I could go out and time it from Colfax to the cache, but the more I think on it, the more I think we need to drop Hang on Sloughpy due to excessive time (even if the trail *will* likely be drier by the 25th)

Hello All, If you are going to the Portland Cache Machine and want a great deal on a room. I have got one for you. Click on this link Rodeway Inn and sign up for a room at the Vancouver Rodeway Inn. It is 15 north of the Dinner off of I-205. The rooms are $35.00 a night for Friday and Saturday. Once you sign up you will get a email with info on who to call. Then call the hotel and reserve your room there are 13 rooms left. They are open to anybody who wants this great deal. If you have any questions please let me know (ggtheduke@gmail.com . Happy Caching!!!!!

Hello All, If you are going to the Portland Cache Machine and want a great deal on a room. I have got one for you. Click on this link Rodeway Inn and sign up for a room at the Vancouver Rodeway Inn. It is 15 north of the Dinner off of I-205. The rooms are $35.00 a night for Friday and Saturday. Once you sign up you will get a email with info on who to call. Then call the hotel and reserve your room there are 13 rooms left. They are open to anybody who wants this great deal. If you have any questions please let me know (ggtheduke@gmail.com . Happy Caching!!!!!

I can't seem to get it to work. Has anyone else had success?

I can't seem to get it to work. Has anyone else had success?

Never mind...I was being an idiot. I had too much info on the address line. I got in finally. This link works better: http://GeoCachers813976.Lexyl.com

We have done the first 60+ caches so far. We found the following items handy: step ladder, walking sticks, tweezers, needle nose pliers, regular pliers, screw driver for prying up heavy lids, log paper for nanos, log paper for smalls (i.e. magnetic key holders), pruning shears for overgrown blackberry bushes, hand wipes, and bottled water, lunch and snacks to eat on the run. We also have a handy kit which includes a mirror and a magnet on an expandable rods and an extended grabber tool.

Portland's been a busy place. In a little over a week, my updated pocket query showed 50 new caches, three re-enabled caches, and six disabled caches. I've incorporated most of the suggestions above, done some re-routing near the end of the trip, and marked a couple as caches to watch closely before I publish the final route on June 20.

But for now, the last draft. See any more bad ideas in here? :laughing:

Thanks again to kengr for the great detail he put into his route analysis, to jholly for keeping me up to date on the DNF and PMO status of several caches, and to ThePetersTrio for their updates.

Although I see that you have put (caution heights) on 143. I feel very strongly that it is far too risky (no guard rail at all & completely straight down on the edge) to have as an event cache. There will so many people trying to get to the cache that it could be quite dangerous. the obvious path that leads in takes you RIGHT on the edge of the cliff. I can take pics if you want to see how perilous it is. All it would take is one misstep & there could be a disaster. Just a thought.

That said, I can't wait to do this! We are slowly whittling away so we can participate but still have time for lunch & potty breaks. Thanks for putting all of this together. What a lot of work!!!