Horrible Trade Items in Caches

If I found a 22, I'd turn it in to one of those gun drives where they give you $50 for every weapon turned in. A 22 ain't a gun. Now, if I found a 44, that, I'd have fun with. :anicute:

<threadjack>

*shrugs* I was raised to believe that a larger caliber sidearm is for the less accurate individual. Not that I'm snubbing larger, just pointing out that in the right hand a .22 can be an effective defense tool. Tho a Mossberg J.I.C. or equivalent is the best option for the home.

</threadjack>

I didnt mean it to come across as i let my child open the cache before me.... (im more excited about finding it than he is) I have a quick look through to see whats inside and then i let him look! Clearly in the states people swap diifferent things than the UK. luckily i dont have to rumage through any of the caches ive found to remove cigs or guns !!!!

My boy is 3 n half and he knows that he can only take something out if he puts something back in....My boy knew the meaning of sharing a long time ago as i would never accept him to be spoilt....Any way a little off topic i think....Im just glad were in the UK and the majority of the things in our caches are safe enough for kids !!!!!

A bad item to stick in a cache is food. The word "food" includes candy. It can be more dangerous than many think.

I am deathly allergic to fire ants. I have benadryl, if ONE bites me, I can take double the adult dosage of benadryl & be ok. (Not worth much, but ok) I took a cache out of a fence post the other day, and hopped back into the car without looking UNDERNEATH the fence post cap the cache was attached to. I looked down & I had a lap full of fire ants. At LEAST 50 ants, crawling all over me. I jumped out of the car & did the ants-in-my-pants dance, & chucked the cache to the other side of the clearing. My husband had to find every single one of them & either sweep them out of the car or squish them, while I was waiting for the 5 or 6 I DIDN'T see that fell into my shoe or something to end my caching days (I was stripping & checking. In public). When my husband knocked all of them off of/out of the cache he handed it to me. A mint. A sonic peppermint candy sitting in there that somebody "didn't see any harm in dropping." This is not a funny situation to me- & if it starts happening often I may have to drop this hobby. I'm not pushing up daisies for some tupperware.

This issue is a serious one, as children are allergic to them as well. Often times the ones who are have much quicker, worse reactions to their bites because they are so small. Most cachers think that they are told not to put food in caches for the animal factor alone, & see fit to put candy in the more urban caches that they think animals will not find. And they may be right. But insects always do. I would hate for my child, or anyone else's, to get bit by that many fire ants. Especially if they were allergic to them.

I know I probably sound angry, but I'm not. Just serious. It is the only issue I have run into that is serious enough to end this game for me. & every member of my family loves this game. For me to have to step out would be depressing for me, & weird for them. (Who will be the navigator?) And I have a suspicion that I would be spending a lot of afternoons & nights-and all weekends- by myself!;)

One of my caches is hidden near a hospital. I saw a log on this cache that said how excited their kids were to find all the waiting room snacks in the cache. I went out to check on it and found that almost all the swag had been removed and replaced with food items. All were individual packets (hot chocolate mix, peanut butter, soup mix, crackers, apple juice, etc.). I was fortunate to get to the cache before an animal caught wind of it. I ended up temporarily disabling the cache and taking it home to remove the food and restock it with swag. I looked at the logs to see if I could determine who put the food items in the cache, but could not figure it out.

If I found a 22, I'd turn it in to one of those gun drives where they give you $50 for every weapon turned in. A 22 ain't a gun. Now, if I found a 44, that, I'd have fun with. :anicute:

<threadjack>

*shrugs* I was raised to believe that a larger caliber sidearm is for the less accurate individual. Not that I'm snubbing larger, just pointing out that in the right hand a .22 can be an effective defense tool. Tho a Mossberg J.I.C. or equivalent is the best option for the home.

</threadjack>

I was raised the same way, then I learned reality in combat.

Speaking of food items... whilst doing maintenance yesterday, I removed a small piece of chewing gum from one of my caches. It had slightly melted, getting everything all sticky and wet. Awesome swag right there. :sad:

Mmmmm.. Soggy gum that seems like it's already been licked. That sounds wonderful. I hope I have good enough trade items.

I don't find that much lousy swag beyond religious tracts and soggy business cards. I think I'm going to start collecting golf balls and painting them or something. try to "pimp" them out while I watch TV or relax.

<threadjack>

</threadjack>

I was raised the same way, then I learned reality in combat.

*vomits in mouth*

Worst OT conversation ever.

Edited by d+n.s

I'm a fairly new cacher, so this was definitely an interesting topic for me.

What's considered good swag? So far, I've stocked up on small toys for kids, packs of cards from Vegas (of course we need to go back tomLas Vegas honey, we need stuff for caches), and some useful things for adults, dropped a small hand sanitizer bottle today. But no real guidance there, just tried to think of things that would be fun and/or useful for me.

Oddest thing I've seen so far was an animal skull. Bones were nearby, so think he just picked it up and dropped it in the cache.

Its not just me then that's dumbfounded by things I've found. I've read all previouse posts and see everyone finds similar type swag in the caches.

Were new to this (we started lest summer) and its not got any better.

In NW England we find sweets, balloons, these are not going near anyones mouth. Stones, crappy broken toys, my kids don't even want anything.

In the caches when we don't take anything, we don't leave anything. But if we do take we always trade up.

If you traded for equal value you'd probably leave what's already been left. Trade up its so much easier to estimate. You know if your swag is worth more than you take.

I hid my first cach 2weeks ago and I'm intersted in maybe a year to see where its upto as I can remember what was in there.

COs have to look after the caches too. Maybe visit if not been found for a while. Check if its not getting damp, nothing worse than a wet cache, rusty/soiled swag.

Trade up, and let's turn these caches into real treasure for us,( I mean the kids;-)

I hit a cache yesterday that was themed useful things. If you took an item you should leave an even more useful item, etc. Surprise for me when I opened it and found among other things a old used phone earpiece complete with curly cord. The cord had been cut. Like phones from 10-15 years ago. A joke maybe? Useful, definitely not.

A few other caches we found should have been just plain garbaged and restocked. We didn't have THAT much with us.

Typically the kids enjoy leaving more than they take.

Right up my alley this is... I have found some crappy stuff including a cache full of melty oozie candy, a Strawberry Shortcake doll with matted hair (lovely) and the usual garbage and receipts.

On another thread I read a Geocaching parent go on about how sometimes it's hard enough to get out the door with the kids, the swag and other supplies so they often take something and don't trade anything because their kids are so young and don't understand. :blink::mad:

My daughter is two and my son is four and we've been Geocaching since June. From the very first cache we ever found, which had some cool stuff, I enforced the trade up thing. That first cache we went to spur of the moment and had no swag. Guess what we took NO SWAG. Sure the kids were disappointed, but I stressed respecting others and being fair.

The closest thing I've done to not trading is taking the garbage out when I had no swag with me.

And really, if the kid is really THAT gung-ho about a swag item, bring them back with something to trade for it.

And I don't put stuff that's worn out in there... dolls with matted hair, dirty toys, plastic puzzles with the little metal ball missing... you get the gist.

As for our swag, it varies... I either have or have had in my Swag Bag some of the following - collectable spoons, keychains, pins, dirty magazines (just kidding), books, photoalbum, stickers, Silly Banz, stamps, scrapbooking scissors, plastic dinosaurs, playdoh, cookie cutters, hair elastics (in their own baggy with a label stating it's brand new geoswag with our name on it), McToys un-used and still in their un-opened bag, cars, pens, and jewelry.

I think it's disrespectful to not trade evenly... it's selfish! Gah!

I've found live ammunition, Trioxane fuel pkts, used chapsticks and toothbrushes, razor knives, barbed fishooks and other 'neat' stuff in caches. Some folks just hafta 'leave somthin' and that's all they have. Human nature, common sense, etc. whatever. Just remove the 'bad' stuff and hope no one gets hurt elsewhere.

yesterday i was cleaningmy catches i found

used headphones (EWWWWWWWWWWWWW !!!)

an air freshener (not sure if i should take that out)

a small shell (looked like a snail shell but its blue so maybe not)

and a load of dirt on the bottom of one

then while geocatching i found coupons in one ( i believe that's founded upon )

in my swag bag i have

pez dispensers (from my collection i no longer collect these )

used stamps for the stamp collector

stickers, toys, puzzles,coins, ornaments,sports cards, lanyards, homemade jewelry, bookmarks, keychains, magnets, crayons etc....

i look alot on eBay and listia.com and condiment shops for items alot of them brand new some very gently used but anything like chapstick toothbrushes etc... or always new

In general, I am not for editing the contents of a cache that I don't own. However, I have been finding lately a lot of spent bullet casings used as swag. I have been considering removing them as I found them. However, the caches are not my property. What do you think? I think they should be removed. I really don't find any redeeming quality in such items, considering children cache. Maybe spent bullets are a big item for kids.....

In general, I am not for editing the contents of a cache that I don't own. However, I have been finding lately a lot of spent bullet casings used as swag. I have been considering removing them as I found them. However, the caches are not my property. What do you think? I think they should be removed. I really don't find any redeeming quality in such items, considering children cache. Maybe spent bullets are a big item for kids.....

Besides the fact that you don't like them, why do you think they should be removed? They pose no danger and kids do seem to be fascinated by them. At least my son and nieces and nephews were. They make fun whistles and they're shiny. :D

Ya'know, I've found a lot of items in caches that I didn't see any redeeming quality in, but that doesn't mean there was anything wrong with them being there. Spent bullet casings are completely harmless and there is nothing wrong with them being in a cache. They are inert and cannot be made "live" again without reloading equipment and supplies. Unless the person who left them also left a keg of powder, some primers, bullets, a press and dies, I wouldn't be concerned about them at all. They may not be something that everyone would like to trade for, but I know if I found a handful of once fired .410 AA hulls in a cache, or some spent .22 Hornet brass, I'd happily trade whatever trinkets I brought along for them.

Ya'know, I've found a lot of items in caches that I didn't see any redeeming quality in, but that doesn't mean there was anything wrong with them being there. Spent bullet casings are completely harmless and there is nothing wrong with them being in a cache. They are inert and cannot be made "live" again without reloading equipment and supplies. Unless the person who left them also left a keg of powder, some primers, bullets, a press and dies, I wouldn't be concerned about them at all. They may not be something that everyone would like to trade for, but I know if I found a handful of once fired .410 AA hulls in a cache, or some spent .22 Hornet brass, I'd happily trade whatever trinkets I brought along for them.

I am not worried about any danger....I realize they are inert. Just thought someone could do something a tad better for kids. Your point is very well taken. I'll just leave be alone and respect the cache of others.

However, I have been finding lately a lot of spent bullet casings used as swag. I have been considering removing them as I found them.

If you are finding these in many caches, my guess would be that some local cacher is using them as a signature item, rather than as swag. I always drop a golf tee if it will fit as my signature.

I can see how some parents might not be thrilled about their kids picking up spent brass in a cache. For the longest time, my sister didn't want my nephew to have water guns that resembled actual weapons, or to play shooter games on PlayStation, because she didn't think he was mature enough to associate the right behavior with firearms. Now that he's older, the rules are relaxed.

I personally don't have a dog in the fight, but then I never have any brass to leave behind anyway -- I don't have a personal firearm, and it's far from kosher to carry brass off of an Army firing range.

Well, they do make a darned good emergency whistle!

P.S. The bullet is the metal piece that gets shot out of the gun. What is left behind (in the gun) is the 'spent casing'. What you buy at the gun shop is a cartridge, or 'live ammo'. :)

Leaving live ammo in a cache is never a good thing, but that brass is worth a couple of bucks a pound if you feel like collecting it. :o

removed, why? :unsure:

Edited by t4e

P.S. The bullet is the metal piece that gets shot out of the gun. What is left behind (in the gun) is the 'spent casing'. What you buy at the gun shop is a cartridge, or 'live ammo'. :)

Leaving live ammo in a cache is never a good thing, but that brass is worth a couple of bucks a pound if you feel like collecting it. :o

Thanks I think I kinda of knew that....but I appreciate the reminder in the improper use of firearm terminology. :)

I have only found 730ish caches and hidden around a 100 but I haven't really found any SWAG that was really worth a crap anyway except for a few FTF gifts so does it really matter. AS for the parent bashing My kids and I fix and replace more SWAG then we ever take. If someone logs that one of my hides needs some work or if I just happen to be makeing the rounds on one that needs work I just fix it fill it and move on.

Edited by medicman911

Thanks I think I kinda of knew that....but I appreciate the reminder in the improper use of firearm terminology. :)

I figured as much, and it was more about the potential use as a whistle than anything...

It's also alot cheaper to load your own ammo.

I see most of these posts are from people in USA (im guessin) in NW England our boxes consist on mini highlighters, marbles, keyrings, bracelets, rings (cheap 20p ones) and other little items like that.....Do ppl over there not find items and then keep them in a bag and place them in a new cache and so on....in my bag i currently have a castle thing and a TB i intend to place these into the next cache i find and then take 1 thing from the next one and so on and so on.....Is this not the correct thing to do ????

Of course it's the correct thing to do! Sad that a lot don't.

I just started and thought it would be fun to go get a sack of goodies like a signature item. we left lucky frog figurines from Puerto Rico until we ran out.

I never take anything from the cache, but sometimes I put quality stuff in, and I only sign the log. I used to take stuff from the cache when I had about 10 finds or so. Then I stopped. Sometimes when someone overfilled the cache to the point it is not closeable, I take a few items to make sure the lid fits into place, this happens most commonly with small lock'n'locks. One thing I notice in my area that dice is used for SWAG commonly.

I will rarely take swag and only if the cache is well stocked. What I take just ends up in another cache down the road.