Horrible Trade Items in Caches

Today I went out and did one of my routine cache restocks. What I found in some of my caches I was very unhappy with.

In one cache I found a bent of notepad that was soaking wet. Nothing else in the cache was wet, not even the log which leads me to believe that the pad was placed in the cache wet. In the same cache I found where someone had placed a rock from a nearby driveway in the cache. Quarters are a better than everyday rocks and I am not to happy with quarters. In this same cache I also found where someone had pulled a CITO Bag out and left it there. The container for the bag was clearly marked "CITO Bag" so why would someone do this?

In another cache which I fairly large I found that it was almost half full. Last time I restocked it I made sure that it was filled to the brim. In the same cache I found two sewing needles which I thought was a big no-no in geocaching because someone could be hurt. I feel like someone did it as a "joke" but, I sure was not laughing.

In the last cache I did today I found where some things had been taken and not replaced.

Overall I am very disappointed in what I found today. I know that it is human nature to steal things but, I thought that geocachers were fairly good people and followed the rules. I guess I was wrong.

Today I went out and did one of my routine cache restocks. What I found in some of my caches I was very unhappy with.

In one cache I found a bent of notepad that was soaking wet. Nothing else in the cache was wet, not even the log which leads me to believe that the pad was placed in the cache wet. In the same cache I found where someone had placed a rock from a nearby driveway in the cache. Quarters are a better than everyday rocks and I am not to happy with quarters. In this same cache I also found where someone had pulled a CITO Bag out and left it there. The container for the bag was clearly marked "CITO Bag" so why would someone do this?

In another cache which I fairly large I found that it was almost half full. Last time I restocked it I made sure that it was filled to the brim. In the same cache I found two sewing needles which I thought was a big no-no in geocaching because someone could be hurt. I feel like someone did it as a "joke" but, I sure was not laughing.

In the last cache I did today I found where some things had been taken and not replaced.

Overall I am very disappointed in what I found today. I know that it is human nature to steal things but, I thought that geocachers were fairly good people and followed the rules. I guess I was wrong.

I went caching with my buddy and his son one time. Every cache he tried to take all the swag out, and since the stuff was "junk" (not my words) my buddy didn't really care. I explained he could take one item if we put something in. I'm guessing a lot of parents probably wouldn't go through that hassle.

I never take anything from the cache, but sometimes I put quality stuff in, and I only sign the log. I used to take stuff from the cache when I had about 10 finds or so. Then I stopped. Sometimes when someone overfilled the cache to the point it is not closeable, I take a few items to make sure the lid fits into place, this happens most commonly with small lock'n'locks. One thing I notice in my area that dice is used for SWAG commonly.

I think I've read this post before. Although some people are disapointing and take more then they give , think of people like 'sword-fern' who give for the sake of giving. Not all cachers are bad like that , I teach my kids right and they know when we out of stuff to trade for the day the can take nothing from a cache unless they put something in. As for rocks from the driveway , some can be very cool and my kids would take them in trade if they were special.

A little guy arrived at a cache that had been placed to launch caching in BC'c Provincial Parks. We had just placed a few polished pebbles in, and he loved (and wanted) two. His Mom said he could only have one, and because he was so good about that, we rewarded him (with Mom's permission) by letting him choose one more from our bag. Mom was happy, so was he, and the one thing in/one thing out lesson was learned.

Swag degradation has been a reality for about the last ...mmmm... 5 years or better.

Might possibly have something to do with the proliferation of micros and nanos...no swag, no concerns about the quality.

You have two choices:

1. Be an exemplary cache owner, and restock your cache regularly.

2. Be an average cache owner, and stop by to remove the really trashy items once in a while.

3. Ignore the swag issue and just make sure there is a dry log for us to sign.

Uh, that's THREE choices bucko! :blink:

Edited by AZcachemeister

a lot of the bad swag swaps of folks I have cached with are parents who cache with their kids and their kids want something so bad....however, the parents forgot to take good swag with them. Thus, the kid takes what they want or will cause a fit, so the parent gives in and lets them take it and either put something worse in or nothing, feeling, well, there is other stuff in there. Perhaps the next one does the same?

I am not judging, just saying a lot of the instances I have seen are from parents who just want to make the kids happy but make the mistake of not having swag with them or wanting to disappoint them. Often they say they will make it up to another cache a different day and put two things in, but will they remember that different day? Often not.

But, then again, they are not putting sewing needles in caches, just sad or bad swag, but not dangerous stuff.

Edited by lamoracke

Swag degradation has been a reality for about the last ...mmmm... 5 years or better.

Might possibly have something to do with the proliferation of micros and nanos...no swag, no concerns about the quality.

You have two choices:

2. Be an average cache owner, and stop by to remove the really trashy items once in a while.

I am afraid I am number 3... NorCal suburban CO... they go for the numbas [sic] up this way....

Not sure it is "degradation"...just the way I learned that it was done in these parts....

Make sure the co-ordinates are dead on though....[dang newbie iphone hides..!!]

Edited by alohabra

I'm concerned about the sewing needles. That is not a good situation.

I once found a cache with a loaded mousetrap in it.

It concerned me, too. These things were in a cache directed towards kids and was filled with toys. We removed them.

I think I've read this post before. Although some people are disapointing and take more then they give , think of people like 'sword-fern' who give for the sake of giving. Not all cachers are bad like that , I teach my kids right and they know when we out of stuff to trade for the day the can take nothing from a cache unless they put something in. As for rocks from the driveway , some can be very cool and my kids would take them in trade if they were special.

Sorry if I posted a duplicate.

I'm concerned about the sewing needles. That is not a good situation.

I once found a cache with a loaded mousetrap in it.

I suspect that much of the time, stuff like that gets dropped in by muggles that stumble across the cache and think it'll be real funny. There are probably a few geocachers that would (the good thing about this sport is that anybody can do it..., etc.), but I'm sure it is very, very few.

You make a couple assumptions in forming this opinion.

First was that these acts were done by geocachers, not muggles. When a cache is muggled, it doesn't always disappear. Sometimes it just gets messed with and rehidden.

Second was a corollary assumption that these acts were done by experienced geocachers. I think that experienced geocachers are faithful to the game and try to treat caches well. But if someone is trying this out and only applying half of their posterior to it, they might not treat the caches to the same standard of care as you or I might.

Why the continued Iphone bashing ?? I recently got a GPS to compliment my Iphone caching and find that My Iphone co-ordinates are pretty much spot on w/ the GPS. I think this is a geo-caching urban myth now - maybe true for older Iphones but not the new ones.

I've got one cache that is specifically noted as a "CD Exchange." Find the cache, leave a CD, take a CD. I was a little surprised when I went to check on it this spring that there were actually MORE CD's in the cache than I had initially stocked it with. There are now a few other little trinkets in there now too.

Edited by cejs

You have two choices:

Very insightful. Nice summary.

Ideally COs would choose either #1 or #2. A clean cache with one or two clean pieces of geoswag is a joy to behold.

So many times I come across caches that have been out there for years and the contents look it - dirt, mud, bits of tree litter, small rocks, baggies torn to shreds, moldy stuff, rusty stuff. Even ammo can contents can eventually look like this without proper maintenance.

I try to wipe things down if it's not too bad but some of those caches need a complete overhaul. Who wants to leave nice stuff in a grungy cache?

But some COs feel their duty is done when they plant the cache. All that's needed after that is to replace the logbook/logsheet when it's full.

I've got one cache that is specifically noted as a "CD Exchange." Find the cache, leave a CD, take a CD. I was a little surprised when I went to check on it this spring that there were actually MORE CD's in the cache than I had initially stocked it with. There are now a few other little trinkets in there now too.

There is one near me that is called 'lucky scratch' in which the CO put in scratch tickets <unused> and asked if you take one leave one. I forgot to grab when when I went for the cache but found one unscratched ticket and about $4.00 in quarters. As in life caching is a mirror of the world , you will find those that contribute, play by the rules and others that realize they can do what benefits themselves. Sad but not limited to caching. :sad:

I went caching with my buddy and his son one time. Every cache he tried to take all the swag out, and since the stuff was "junk" (not my words) my buddy didn't really care. I explained he could take one item if we put something in. I'm guessing a lot of parents probably wouldn't go through that hassle.

Every geocaching parent I know (including me) "goes through that hassle". The take one/leave one dynamic is actually a great parenting tool (especially for young children).

This is a topic that makes me want to beat my face into a wall.

Don't like it? Do something about it.

I keep waiting for a swag deterioration post that reads something like...

I opened this Large Kids Cache and it was full of broken junk, cheap crap and a wet log.

I took the original log a laid it out in the sun wile I was dealing with the rest.

I took all the broken crap and replaced it, after all it is trade equal or up.

Then I took the cheap junk and replaced them with superior items in equal numbers, after all trade up or equal is a 1 for 1 deal.

Since I couldn't wait for the log to completely dry I added a new log and pen to the cache. Noting there was still plenty of room I took the original log placed it in its bag, wrapped it in duct tape, and wrote "ORIGINAL CACHE IN HERE" on it.

I tossed in a few extra trade items for good measure and re-hide the cache under more detritus than how I found it.

Why don't people understand that just because they didn't like the cache they shouldn't junk it up and if they liked the cache they should try to make it so that the next person will too.

Now that would be a nice BMC about swag deterioration. If you don't like something and you do nothing more than get on line and complain then you may be condemning it in word but you're condoning it in action.

Same goes for the I hate micro crowd that hides micros and the I hate P&G crowed that doesn't hide anything etc etc etc.

Overall I am very disappointed in what I found today.

There's a possible cure for your disappointment: Make your caches harder to get to. While the answer seems way too simplistic, it does seem to work, at least around here. The caches I own that take several hours to get to don't have the same fate as those caches that take 20 minutes to get to. Perhaps there's some kind of natural law regarding the nature of folks who focus on P&G caches? For instance, my BoonieMan Springs cache (http://coord.info/GCZCW3) is roughly a 5 mile round trip hike, with 2 miles of that an incredibly difficult bushwhack. The last finder, (# 19), took a picture of the contents, and I was pleased to see that the swag was almost entirely the same as when I hid it 5 years ago. But my Forgotten Link cache (http://coord.info/GCTZEP) was just a short stroll from parking, then some poking around under a bridge. After about 20 finds, the swag had degraded considerably. When I pulled it, there was nothing in the ammo can worth transferring to another cache.

Why the continued Iphone bashing ?? I recently got a GPS to compliment my Iphone caching and find that My Iphone co-ordinates are pretty much spot on w/ the GPS. I think this is a geo-caching urban myth now - maybe true for older Iphones but not the new ones.

I don't think i've ever found an iphone hide that wasn't off by at least 40 feet.

I agree that the needles were a scarey thing. AS for the rest about the crappy stuff in caches.............face it not everyone plays the game the same way. There really isnt much you can do about it. If it is your caches that are ended up with crappy swag left you can, as stated fix it, ignore it or eont place caches or make them all nanos so there isnt any swag to worry about.

Some folks are going to just take & not leave. It is what it is.

I just spent $52 to get a whole box of new stuff to put in my caches as I went around to check them. I have a few theme caches & restocked with theme stuff. What was in the cache was a bit of other non related theme stuff. Even though it is written up as a theme & suggested it would be great if it was followed.

If I havent learned anything else since starting caching I have learned people are going to do what THEY want not what I would like them to do so I can get over it or get out of it. I stay in & now I just try to make it fun for at least the first bunch of folks that find the caches with good stuff in them.

I see most of these posts are from people in USA (im guessin) in NW England our boxes consist on mini highlighters, marbles, keyrings, bracelets, rings (cheap 20p ones) and other little items like that.....Do ppl over there not find items and then keep them in a bag and place them in a new cache and so on....in my bag i currently have a castle thing and a TB i intend to place these into the next cache i find and then take 1 thing from the next one and so on and so on.....Is this not the correct thing to do ????

I see most of these posts are from people in USA (im guessin) in NW England our boxes consist on mini highlighters, marbles, keyrings, bracelets, rings (cheap 20p ones) and other little items like that.....Do ppl over there not find items and then keep them in a bag and place them in a new cache and so on....in my bag i currently have a castle thing and a TB i intend to place these into the next cache i find and then take 1 thing from the next one and so on and so on.....Is this not the correct thing to do ????

Of course it's the correct thing to do! Sad that a lot don't.

Some of us do, some more some less.

The problem is...

Lets say you started up a large cache and filled it with 40, 1 euro items over here. The most likely thing that you would find when you came back and checked it after 40 finds is

1 or 2, 1 euro items

10, 1/2 euro items

Some 1/4 euro items

some broken junk

And in all most likelihood it would all total less than 40 items.

Let it stand long enough and it would have nothing inside but broken items and stuff that you can get 101 of for 1 USD.

You know, I wonder if the problem could be that the swag itself is deteriorating. For example, you buy a new toy at the dollar store and leave it in the cache. The next cacher rummages through the swag, putting everything on the ground, getting the new toy soiled and scratched up. Repeat a couple of times. Now a family of cachers come along and the kid spots the toy, except it is no longer a brand new $1 toy, but rather a 25 cent garage sale item. So the mother pulls out a small toy worth 25 cents from her geocahing bag and swaps for it. Repeat the same thing with the new item, and suddenly it is worth only a couple of pennies to the next family. Maybe leave a shiny marble for it. Now repeat with the marble and eventually someone comes along and thinks " who would leave this old, dull marble in the cache? I'm going to CITO it."

Of course, this doesn't explain the needles nor endless used movie ticket stubs.

Just came across this thread and the thought popped back into my mind about the absolute WORST item my wife and I have ever found in a cache. We live in North Western Ontario, Canada.. and the local caching crowed is generally good about leaving decent swag, at least mostly things that are not broken anyway.. but last month while we were caching in Aub's hometown of Thomasville, Alabama.. we happened upon a lock-n-lock container hidden in the corner of a retaining wall behind some shrubs.. as I picked it up I noticed the seal around the lid was hanging out slightly, so I half expected to see a very wet log when I opened it up (Southern Alabama sees a lot of rain as I'm sure some of you know).. but when we opened the box the contents were a little more surprising than that. I don't remember what additional items were in the cache because I was too focused on the chicken leg someone had placed in there which by now was swarming with ants and millipedes.. the whole cache was crawling. It was gross... cleaned it out and tossed the bone, and the ants too... crazy stuff, guess you never know what you might find.

Me and the kids came across a cache recently. It was soaked from the winter. It was in a place kids of all ages could find. It was in really bad shape. While my son and daughter looked through the toys, I dried out the container and placed anything salvagable in baggies. My kids each left something better then they took. 1 each even though they each had 20 tradeable items. Then we gathered up the soaked pokemon cards and took them home. My son placed them in the backyard to dry. We ironed them out afterwards. The ones we couldn't save, my son replaced with his own. They are now near the door so when we return we can re-stock the cache with all the cards that were lost due to the spring runoff.

I put a little bit of pool filter thread grease along the seal of the container to help it stay water-tight. I also will be leaving a note for the owner on how better to prepare the container. The owner is a classroom of kids at the local school. When found, the container was half full of swag. It is now packed full.

Don't label all of us parents as being lazy. Or our kids either.

I think a lot of the garbage you find in caches are from the younger cachers. For me, I could care less what's in the caches unless it's something very interesting. TBs..Geocoins...ect don't remotely matter to me. However, if I find something very interesting and I decide to take it I do my best to replace it with somthing equally or more interesting (IMO, of course).

It does irritate me to find stuff in caches that couldn't have any value to anyone. Bottle caps (not old or collectable types), broken toys, pennies...ect.

There are things that people value that I do not and I recognize that, so I wouldn't disturb that kind of stuff.

When I take my duaghter (3 years old) with we put small kids toys in caches. Typically we put two toys in for each she decides to take. She like rocks too and sometimes will add a rock to the cache in addition to any toys we add. :lol:

So if you are in MN and find a random rock in a cache that may have been my daughter. :laughing:

I wouldn't trust an unknown CD in my computer, but I am curious if they are safe to play in your car? Seems like they would be.

I wouldn't trust an unknown CD in my computer, but I am curious if they are safe to play in your car? Seems like they would be.

If it's an original CD, you shouldn't have to worry. A burned copy? I probably wouldn't put it in a PC. I doubt it could cause you any trouble in the car unless it's scratched or dirty.

If it's an original CD, you shouldn't have to worry. A burned copy? I probably wouldn't put it in a PC. I doubt it could cause you any trouble in the car unless it's scratched or dirty.

Yup yup, it isn't going to hurt a CD player even if it is a data cd.

As for it going into the PC, curiosity would get me.

I would slap that puppy in my ol 486 in a heart beat. Whats the worst that can happen? Reformat and unattended install known as xcopy d:\*.* /a /e /k

You have two choices:

I do #1 (although I've noticed the swag staying pretty good so far!) but I don't think it makes you exemplary. Swag is an afterthought IMO. I enjoy stocking my caches, but I don't care about it in the least when I'm hunting and, if anything, it seems to cause more problems than anything. W rarely take anything, but we leave a little prism eye party favor thingy.

Edited by d+n.s

After reading this thread I wonder what people do consider good swag. I've bought those party packs of of play-doh and used those for my kids to trade. I also have been looking through Oriental Trading Company for other ideas. I see that most people find the swag not so good. I am surprised at times what my kids find as a great find...plastic kid's compass, a McD's toy, an off-brand match box car, etc.

I also didn't know it was etiquette to fill or restock a cache. I recently went to one of my caches to drop a bug and I was surprised to see a few swag items in it. It is a small lock and lock container and doesn't hold much. I originally placed the play-doh in it.

My children do understand that they can't take anything unless we have something to drop.

:anicute:

After reading this thread I wonder what people do consider good swag. I've bought those party packs of of play-doh and used those for my kids to trade. I also have been looking through Oriental Trading Company for other ideas. I see that most people find the swag not so good. I am surprised at times what my kids find as a great find...plastic kid's compass, a McD's toy, an off-brand match box car, etc.

I also didn't know it was etiquette to fill or restock a cache. I recently went to one of my caches to drop a bug and I was surprised to see a few swag items in it. It is a small lock and lock container and doesn't hold much. I originally placed the play-doh in it.

My children do understand that they can't take anything unless we have something to drop.

Why don't you Che k out This thread.

Actually Play-Doh isn't the best choice to leave as swag--not because it isn't neat, but because it may smell like food to an animal. After all, it is basically flour and salt. Honestly, in most places, it probably wouldn't cause a problem, but I've seen threads about caches that have been chewed up by an animal going after Play-Doh inside. Just something to keep in mind! :)

I actually found a M-150 firecracker in a ammo can!

Removed (didnt mention in the log) I still have it

I removed a rusty pin from one cache, didnt want anyone to get poked and need a shot

I did mention that in the log

Racettes

OMG. why would a sane person put a fire cracker in the cache? even a pin...thats just silly.....kids go caching with parents all the time and i would be really upset if my little boy pricked his finger with a rusty pin!

The caches ive done recently have had some decent stuff in...but i dont do it so i can find a really decent item in there...i do it so i can see the nice areas around where i live...plus it gets my little one out and about instead of watching tv.....n i have to be honest we found a mini toy compass yesterday and a mini rocket and he loves it :) thats good enough for meee

I keep finding bottle caps in caches. What sort of idiot thinks that's good swag?Also found in caches - knives, lighters, gum, candy, lip balm.

What kind (not brand) of bottle cap? I have a nice collection of crowns that have never been used.

Actually Play-Doh isn't the best choice to leave as swag--not because it isn't neat, but because it may smell like food to an animal. After all, it is basically flour and salt. Honestly, in most places, it probably wouldn't cause a problem, but I've seen threads about caches that have been chewed up by an animal going after Play-Doh inside. Just something to keep in mind! :)

2004 United States patent indicates it is composed of water, a starch-based binder, a retrogradation inhibitor, salt, lubricant, surfactant, preservative, hardener, humectant, fragrance, and color. A petroleum additive gives the compound a smooth feel, and borax prevents mold from developing.

I have seen a few thrashed stashes because of playdough but it wasn't Play-Doh.

Still a bad idea tho because temperature fluctuations can render the doh garbage.

I removed a rusty pin from one cache, didnt want anyone to get poked and need a shot

Racettes

OMG. why would a sane person put a fire cracker in the cache? even a pin...thats just silly.....kids go caching with parents all the time and i would be really upset if my little boy pricked his finger with a rusty pin!

How would you feel about a loaded 22 in a cache?

Racettes

How would you feel about a loaded 22 in a cache?

I would be ecstatic, rush to my cousins and attach it to his test fire rig to insure it was safe.

Yeah I cache with kids on occasion, but guess what...

I'm wise enough not to allow them to open a container or handle the content until I have verified its relative safety.

People can complain about guns, knives, firecrackers, condoms (useful for survival in more ways than one), and a myriad of other things but safety is still the parents responsibility. If a 5 year old runs up to a cache, opens it, pulls out a gun and shoots daddy. More of the blame should be placed on daddy than the person that put it there in the first place because daddy shouldn't have been stupid enough to allow the kid to rummage an uninspected container.

I'm surprised at how many people point the finger at kids.

Caching with kids is just like anything else in life. The PARENTS are responsible for their children. Or not.

I would never allow one of my girls to open a cache and go poking through it. My husband or I open the cache then remove each item and set it on the ground or other area for our kids to see. As we remove things, trash, cigarettes and any other moronic item left goes straight to my CITO ziploc. We don't even bother our kids with that stuff other than to say, "It's trash, so it's going in the trash." Therefore, I eliminate the worry that my kids will be stuck by a needle or having funk on their fingers.

I don't take my kids geocaching without having a large Ziploc filled with swag for them to trade. Some of the things we trade are handmade by me, other things are dollar store party favors for children, and others are magnets or ornament type things. For each thing we remove we leave at least 2 things in it's place. Because as a parent, it is MY job to teach my kids what trading up means. We teach them by showing them.

The one time my swag bag was empty we did nothing but micros. Problem solved. If my children were to whine or complain about wanting more they would get nothing. That's just the way it is. Life isn't about stuff. It's about time spent with the ones we love.

When my kids aren't with me, my husband and I make every effort to add swag to each and every cache. I wouldn't say we completely restock them, but we leave them with more than they have so the next folks who come along have an enjoyable experience. We leave more adult items than kid items because adults seem forgotten in the swag dept. and I happen to think it's just as great to see an adult get all excited about some little treasure as it is for a kid.

Bottom line is...unless by kid you mean a teenager, no kid should be blamed or accused. It is the parents who are responsible for how their children behave. People who "cave" and give in to their kids tantrums or even allow their children to throw tantrums should consider teaching their children how to behave before allowing them to participate. Of course, that's just me though.