Mapping software

I was using NatGeo's Topo software to view my waypoints, tracks, etc. and foolishly upgraded to TopoExplorer which, as far as I can tell, is just an online application. I don't like it at all. I can do a system restore to get back to the Topo software, but before I do...

What mapping software do you use for your geocaching, as well as general hiking (waypoints, tracks, POIs, etc.) I would like something that can handle 1:24000 quads, but not the quads that ExpertGPS/Geobuddy use. I like the 1:24000 Garmin maps -- I use a Garmin 550t -- but their software (Base Camp and MapSource) is too primitive.

What do you like/dislike about the mapping software that you use?

Thanks for your input.

Gsak

Thanks for the suggestion but as far as I know, GSAK can't do general mapping. You can locate a cache on geocaching.com, but I'm looking for a general mapping program where I can see my waypoints and tracks.

Well, I guess you have a bit of learning to do, now don't you?

Gsak

Thanks for the suggestion but as far as I know, GSAK can't do general mapping. You can locate a cache on geocaching.com, but I'm looking for a general mapping program where I can see my waypoints and tracks.

Well, I guess you have a bit of learning to do, now don't you?

There is a warm and fuzzy place in my heart for GSAK. Now if only I could sign up for a few hour training course on it I would be happy.

I use GSAK, but haven't gone into macros.

For more general mapping purposes, I use Topofusion Pro. Comes with several overlays pre-programmed into it, and you have the capability to add more from IMS overlays. Plus, you can overlay essentially unlimited GPS data from multiple file formats, as well as shapefiles. It will geotag photos from a GPS track. It has some nice analysis and display features, too.

I'm a cheapskate so I don't use GSAK. I just use good old Garmin Mapsource with handy dandy free OpenStreetMaps from Free Worldwide Routable Garmin Maps and Norwest Trails from switchbacks.com. I use these mostly on my GPS for on the go directions to geocaches. When I'm just looking for caches on a map I use the Google Maps on the site or occasionally Google Earth.

Exactly what I do!

I occasionally use the GSAK to map things out of GE, but not often.

My two primary programs are MS Streets & Trips and Garmin Mapsource with NW Trails/NW Topos. I also have NG Topo! (Washington State and Back Roads Explorer) that I use occasionally.

I use S&T to see cache placements and plan routes. I use different colors and shapes for the types of caches. I like the URI support that links the caches back to GSAK.

NW Trails/Topo I use for detail route planning for hiking caches and storing/editing tracks (I do a lot of trail mapping for NW Trails).

I like the URI support that links the caches back to GSAK.

How do you do that ?

I should be insulted! You were sitting in the front when I talked about this at Geowoodstock last year. <_<:laughing:

First thing, on the GSAK export dialog for S&T make sure the URL Link is filled in:

7b7098270987001ab4d679965a8ab841.png

After you import the file to S&T you need to double click on the file name in the Legend and Overview pane (left side) to bring up the Properties dialog. On the Hyperlink tab tick the "Use hyperlinks from your imported data:" and select URL from the list:

f58a0abb81b2d628c39df234e5530266.png

Then when you cntrl-click the cache icon on the map, GSAK will select the right DB and that cache in the grid. I use FlagSet so I can later filter to User Flag (F8) to select all the caches I wanted.

If you add ":silent" (without quotes) to the FlagSet ("FlagSet:silent) in the GSAK dialog, GSAK will not become active with each selection on the map, but just set the flag behind the scene. See the GSAK help file URI Support for more info on possilbe selections.

I should be insulted! You were sitting in the front when I talked about this at Geowoodstock last year. <_<:laughing:

You have every right. But I'm not sure I was awake :unsure: but I know I did not have note paper :mad: and with a one bit memory it is hard to remember. :) Thanks!

Here's my combination.....

Maps from GPS File Depot

Old MapSource (ONLY)for sending mapsets to GPS (IMHO Basecamp is a PITA)

Best digital maps for printing are NG TOPO! either State Series or Trails illustrated ....NOT "Topo Explorer" which is totally worthless.

I use Expert GPS for all data conversions and editing, uploading / downloading Waypoints, Tracks, and Routes.

Topo Fusion Pro is good also and has some later Aerial Photos.

Unfortunately, there is not one single program that does everything "best"