Is it worth it?

TrynaFindaCache

I'm thinking of getting a decal travel bug for my car, just wondering if the people out there who have one think it's worth it?

Thanks!

It announces to Geocachers that you're a Geocacher. That's probably its main function, so decide if that feature is worth it. B)

I have the magnetic version which I only put on my car for events. I like it very much. I don't care for decals that much. Altough, my Xterra sported a Darwin Fish badge and a Nitrofish window decal, my Highlander is a plain Jane as is my wife's minivan.

BTW- I recently read an article about recent study that determined the mere fact that a person would want to communicate a message (bumper stickers, window decals, etc.) to other drivers may be an indicator of how prone that person may be to being involved in a road rage incident. :blink: Sounds far fetched, but since I read that I've noticed that the most agressive drivers I encounter 75+% of the time have a bumper sticker or other means of sending a message to other drivers on their vehicle. :unsure::ph34r:

BTW- I recently read an article about recent study that determined the mere fact that a person would want to communicate a message (bumper stickers, window decals, etc.) to other drivers may be an indicator of how prone that person may be to being involved in a road rage incident. :blink: Sounds far fetched, but since I read that I've noticed that the most agressive drivers I encounter 75+% of the time have a bumper sticker or other means of sending a message to other drivers on their vehicle. :unsure::ph34r:

OT but I bet it has to do with the message on the bumper sticker. I've got a "reading is sexy" sticker from Powell's and "Be Local", not sure those are 'agressive' messages.

On topic, I've thought about getting one but rarely do I see people getting discoveries on theirs. So for now I don't have one.

I have the magnetic version which I only put on my car for events. I like it very much. I don't care for decals that much. Altough, my Xterra sported a Darwin Fish badge and a Nitrofish window decal, my Highlander is a plain Jane as is my wife's minivan.

As I read this, I got a vivid mental image of the results of following a vehicle with a TB decal close enough to READ the tag while it was moving... 'durn tailgaters, I'll show them' etc. Says volumes about placing the TB on a side position, where it can only be read while standing still or at least along side. Of course that has it's own set of images forming.

Dang imagination. Better to only display it while parked... nah! that just brings me to Worlds Dumbest Car Thieves imagery... the guy who breaks into your car, but logs the TB discovery under his real name... I got to get a coffee...

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

I never expect to get discovered, but sometimes I do, and that's a lot of fun! I have the permanent decal on the back window of my 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander.

For example I haven't gotten a discovery log on my Sharkbite! tb in quite a while but in the past 3 weeks I got two. One, someone saw me parked in the grocery store parking lot, and the other I was parked out back of my parents house in the parking lot on the park. Those were cool to read as they were completely unexpected.

It lets others know I'm a geocacher, and I really enjoy reading the unexpected logs on it too. Go for it!

As I read this, I got a vivid mental image of the results of following a vehicle with a TB decal close enough to READ the tag while it was moving... 'durn tailgaters, I'll show them' etc. Says volumes about placing the TB on a side position, where it can only be read while standing still or at least along side. Of course that has it's own set of images forming.

I can't speak for others but.... my TB decal is 5 inches wide by 8 inches tall with 1 inch lettering. It's very easy to read from a reasonable distance.

I never expect to get discovered, but sometimes I do, and that's a lot of fun! I have the permanent decal on the back window of my 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander.

For example I haven't gotten a discovery log on my Sharkbite! tb in quite a while but in the past 3 weeks I got two. One, someone saw me parked in the grocery store parking lot, and the other I was parked out back of my parents house in the parking lot on the park. Those were cool to read as they were completely unexpected.

It lets others know I'm a geocacher, and I really enjoy reading the unexpected logs on it too. Go for it!

Now I'm curious....

I know someone who can create a sticker, but how can I get a TB number? If I'm thinking of putting a sticker on my truck - I might as well get it registered as a TB number!!

I wouldn't expect to get any spotters, but it'd be fun to have. I never knew these existed.

I've been pleased with the discoveries of my car TB in the last 18 months. I've only had 1 discovery that wasn't from an event though.

The other thing that people do with their car TB's is to use the 'visited' action on it when logging their cache finds (either all of them or just the particularly memorable ones) - so the TB builds up a history of where it's been.

Now I'm curious....

I know someone who can create a sticker, but how can I get a TB number? If I'm thinking of putting a sticker on my truck - I might as well get it registered as a TB number!!

I wouldn't expect to get any spotters, but it'd be fun to have. I never knew these existed.

Check here: http://shop.Groundspeak.com/productList.cfm?categoryID=22

There are other companies out there making TB "decals" too.

I know someone who makes stickers, so that isn't the problem. How do you get a TB number? Or am I required to buy it from Groundspeak directly?

You would have to purchase a TB tag from either Groundspeak or someone who resells their tags. Or just by the decal/sticker with the number from the same places. Currently you cannot purchase just the number.

You would have to purchase a TB tag from either Groundspeak or someone who resells their tags. Or just by the decal/sticker with the number from the same places. Currently you cannot purchase just the number.

I didn't realize a vehicle sticker TB is the same thing as a regular TB. We have a couple TB tags at home that we haven't activated yet. thumbsup.gif

I don't expect to get discovered with it, but just having a sticker that says "I'm a Geocacher!!" is cool enough in itself! (the husband thinks its corny...but hey, its MY truck!!!)

Is it worth it?

That depends on what your goal is. I placed one on my work vehicle 4 months ago as a way to see how many miles I am caching while I drive for work. I would log that the TB visited any finds within about 200 feet of where I parked. As an added bonus I thought it would be cool to see if I randomly meet other cachers.

The TB is worth it for me because of the amount of driving I do and the goals I had in mind. The TB log shows that over the last 4 months I have cached almost 6,500 miles. That is not including the 1,200 I have not logged yet and caches that were more than 200 feet away from my vehicle. The TB has also been spotted by two cachers while out and about. I am looking at enlarging the TB numbers to make spotting it easier.