Tech Question.....

Recently bought a Garmin eTrex Summit second hand from eBay, it's in full working order and a joy to use. It is supplied with the RS232 9-pin connection cable, and, as my laptop doesn't have this socket, I bought a RS232 - USB adaptor. The hardware for the adaptor has been accepted by my laptop, but I'm unable to sync the GPS with my software (I have OziExplore, Base Camp and Easy GPS).

Anyone had the same issues??

I've used quite a few USB-RS232 converters for equipment due to my job and have found that some are more compatible than overs, so maybe worth trying a different type or asking other which do work.

Also remember that the adapter may not have assigned COM1 as it's serial port, so check which port it's using and make sure that the software you are using to transfer is using the same port.

This is just general serial stuff, so hopefully someone with a eTrex can tell you exactly :)

Edited by eusty

Recently bought a Garmin eTrex Summit second hand from eBay, it's in full working order and a joy to use. It is supplied with the RS232 9-pin connection cable, and, as my laptop doesn't have this socket, I bought a RS232 - USB adaptor. The hardware for the adaptor has been accepted by my laptop, but I'm unable to sync the GPS with my software (I have OziExplore, Base Camp and Easy GPS).

Anyone had the same issues??

Make sure you have the correct driver for the adaptor.

I bought a generic serial/usb adaptor years ago when I had a Geko, and spent weeks locating a driver for the adaptor....

It's in the back of my mind that Bae Camp isn't compatible with older GPS like the eTrex. My Legend doesn't work with it either. Not sure about Easy GPS though, would have thought that would work.

Do you get any indication on 'My Computer' that the GPS is connected? and what OS are you using?

From your question I read you have it connected but can't synch the data. In the GPS setup I think you need to have the serial connection set to Garmin. If it's a connection problem you can check what port the serial/USB adaptor is using by going into Device Manager. Click the start button, and in the search box that appears, type in device manager. When this opens look at the Ports, that should show you which number is assigned. You need to make sure the software application (e.g. EasyGPS) is set to use this port.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books